I think my truck has covid

Wrknrvr

I just tried looking into the fuel tank with my remote camera.     All I see is black.

The light from the camera just reflects off the surface of the fuel. Tried on a small fuel tank for the Aquahot storage tank.

Same thing , the light on the end of the remote camera just does not penetrate the surface. Although I can see the black spot without the camera.

Learned something new today

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a pump to recirculate back to the tank, add your own filter and housing. Polish your own fuel. If you put a metal wand on the suction, such that you can get down to the worms, it'll be faster. The other option, buy a Costco size box of filters, and be ready to swap them on the side of the road. Not my preferred location, but if you got good life insurance, Mama might be set.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I do have three or four filters for my testing on Aquahot Systems for work. It has a clear sediment bowl on it. So I can see what enters the bowl quickly.

I think I will hook it up tomorrow and see what happens. I am always outside doing things, so I can hide what I am doing. I think I have enough fuel line with me to do what I want. But I want to check my filters first. 

The big problem is to get shinny enough to slide under the truck and check that old splitter fitting that caused problems years ago.     Now twice while I have been working on the truck I did smell raw fuel. That could be a indication that that fitting is leaking again.    Sorta forgot about that.  I want to check that fitting before I start the truck.    I do have a compressor and there maybe a fitting to air up the suspension without starting the truck. Or dig for clearance.

Last night it rained over a inch, so I was doing other stuff today.  But then I thought I will drain the first filter inline. It has a drain on it.

No water? And vary little fuel. At least not like I thought should see coming out.  Now what?

Maybe 7 years ago I had problems with needing to put fuel filters on occasionally.    Was not really thinking about said situation.

But I do remember the filters being low on fuel.   An finally ended up discovering that there is a fuel splitter under rear of the cab. Fitting was loose feeding the fuel to the engine. Tried fixing it a time or two. Finally bought a new one and installed it. Fixed that filter being empty problem.

So I put on old clothes and some tools on a cardboard box. Started the truck to pump up the airbags. I did not get skinny enough with out he System aired up for clearance.

That fitting is loose again. On my truck the fitting has a 90 degree turn so the fuel line comes from the frame to the fitting. So that 90 degree turn has the weight of the line helping to put pressure downwards. What is does is where the threads different. Last time I tried to clean the threads up with a tap. But that did not work long term.

So ordered a new splitter.

At least I checked that before going further into wanting more parts.parts.

will keep informed 

So I have been polishing my fuel. While I was waiting for a new supply fuel splitter. Slow but steady. I did put additives in before I started to polish the fuel.

It arrived, but it is a return fuel splitter.   Sending it back.

So took it apart to see if I can make it work. 1/2” supply female pipe threads are just loose enough that it will not thread correctly. So I need to tap the threads 1/2 turn deeper. I think that will make the threads tight as it should be.     It was loose when I tried to see if it was a problem. On my truck the supply line comes from the frame rail and makes a 90 degree turn. Apparently from wear from vibration. I also need to run a pie over the engine supply hose fitting to make it true again.

As I was taking the fuel splitter apart, I only got, at the most a shot glass full of fuel out of the pipes and splitter valve.

Will keep informed.

Both of those fancy "splitters" are nothing more than a pipe tee, with some internal hooey. As long as your tanks are plumbed level, fuel has to obey the laws of physics, and draw/return equally to/from both tanks evenly. Chasing pipe threads too far can result in a useless hunk of scrap metal, if you're not careful.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I was careful to chase the threads in the splitter female fitting. And chased the threads on the brass engine side elbow to a point that I could get the fittings to be tight at the correct position. Applied some rectorseal number 5 pipe thread compound. Made sure the o ring side of the female splitter assembly was flat, and put the fuel splitter together.

I was tired, but I did replace my first fuel filter.   Late in the day and had a lot of stuff to cleanup and put away. So I started the engine. It will sit there and idle as it should. Previously it would idle, but when the throttle was pushed down, it missed a lot.

After doing what I did yesterday it will take fuel but there is still a miss. It may not be the same cylinder.  I need to replace the other filter later today. Busy with other things this morning. 

I am thinking possibly the fuel solenoid. I had that do similar things years ago and replaced it. It solved it that time. Will try to test it later today.

While looking around at possibly other problems, I found the ecm fuse holder cover is gone. Yep, someone stole it. Maybe a squirrel.

About 2008 the original fuse holder had corroded and give me fits back then. I had a mobile mechanic stop by to check out what was happening. When he got there I showed him what the old fuse holder looked like. I found it as he was on his way. Started the truck and problem solved. Had him check with his computer and he said it’s all good. Paid him, and thanked him.

So my latest subject on this situation was to check the second fuel filter. Removed the second filter. It was about half full. And it was not tight as it should be?    That needs some thinking done on that subject. Although I do not think it was loose enough to leak air. Was talking to a friend about this Cummins N14. He did ask if the second fuel filter was half empty. I said yes.  He told me about his experience on these engines as the fuel filter being low of fuel, could be caused by a problem with a check valve. There is a check valve in the fuel system where the fuel exits the ecm cooling plate. Or enters. But I said I know about the check valve. I replaced it about 6 years ago. I may check it on Monday, as it is raining today.

Yesterday I did replace two ecm wiring ends on the wiring harness, were the power enters the pass through connector. So I have 3 of them replaced. 3 more to do. One thing to do to find if it is one cylinder is to unplug each individual wire at the pass through and see if the engine changes tone. When I was first working on this engine problem the diagnostics did say about number 3 being a problem. Once when I was moving the wire connector it did pick up the cylinder.   But now it seems like it is not specific to one cylinder. So that may point to that fuel check valve as possible problem.

More thinking needed.  

My truck did not have covid. I am sure of it now

But it did have the shigel jiggles.   If you never seen that before, let me tell you it is embarrassing as all get out.  When it was given throttle it it just shooked and jiggleded like I ain’t never seen before.   Yes I spelled it that way.

Before when you tried to give it throttle if missed and shook a lot and rolled smoke out really embarrassing, as all get out.

So this am I replaced the splitter valve with a black iron tee. When I took the fuel lines apart I only got about 2 shot glasses of fuel out at the most.

With some quiet words I finally have the system back together. Ready to try it. Took a break. Ate lunch. Decided to pull fuel filter off and fill it. Or should I wait till morning.

Started to remove filter and it is full of fuel. Tighten the filter up again.

So I tried to start it. It had to spin over more than normal, but it finally was running. Listening closely, it is close to normal.  Then it smoothed out.

So did it get all the air out of the system. Or is the fuel treatment clearing the fuel. Or both. While it had air entering the fuel system, did that cause more stuff to grow in the fuel.

On a side note could I drive back to Montana in idle mode.

It sounds like you're having multiple issues, just keep on chasing them down and eliminating them, one by one. The last time we had fuel delivery issues, we both got pretty good at maxing RPM before the stumbles hit. Part of the joys of an AutoShift transmission. If you have a stick, I still wouldn't recommend that many miles. The dirty looks coming from the right seat are mighty uncomfortable.

Please e-mail us here.

My truck did not have covid. I am sure of it now

But it did have the shigel jiggles.   If you never seen that before, let me tell you it is embarrassing as all get out.  When it was given throttle it it just shooked and jiggleded like I ain’t never seen before.   Yes I spelled it that way.

Before when you tried to give it throttle if missed and shook a lot and rolled smoke out really embarrassing, as all get out.

So this am I replaced the splitter valve with a black iron tee. When I took the fuel lines apart I only got about 2 shot glasses of fuel out at the most.

With some quiet words I finally have the system back together. Ready to try it. Took a break. Ate lunch. Decided to pull fuel filter off and fill it. Or should I wait till morning.

Started to remove filter and it is full of fuel. Tighten the filter up again.

So I tried to start it. It had to spin over more than normal, but it finally was running. Listening closely, it is close to normal.  Then it smoothed out.

So did it get all the air out of the system. Or is the fuel treatment clearing the fuel. Or both. While it had air entering the fuel system, did that cause more stuff to grow in the fuel.

On a side note could I drive back to Montana in idle mode.

I think this was by biggest part of the problem. If you look inside this check valve body, you can see some black deposit stuff.

The check valve was basically stuck in the closed position. With the air leak at the splitter valve, I think the fuel pump was just pulling mostly vapor from the fuel filter, once most of the fuel was that was in the filter was used. And there possibly little fuel being pulled to the filter. I did not run the engine very long.

This check valve was replaced several years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been struggling to get this situation under control. 

The electrical thinking before, I think was just a miss thinking. So that was sorta wasted time.

I do believe  the fuel polishing worked. The truck engine operated good for two days. Just sitting still, but it started and took throttle as it should..          

Sorta toooo good. I think the cleaning effect of fuel polishing opened up three air suction leaks on the fuel supply line.   It takes time to find take fittings apart, test ,inspect, fix or replace.   So far I have finally have the fuel line to and including the ecm check valve holding fuel.   That was quite a chore. Pulled fuel up past the check valve with a vacuum pump.

More to follow, with lots of calm words to be said.

That tool of the week, is to be used to solve this situation.

So I worked on the fuel line to the first fuel filter. And then back to the filter on the fuel pump.

A lot of curious words were thought of during this time. But I gave up on the old fuel lines. Installed new fuel lines from ecm check valve to the filt in front of the pass side tire. Then I finally got the fuel filter in front of the passenger tire to stay full of fuel. But the engine still stumbles after several minutes of running.

More words of wisdom to follow.

Then I suspected the fuel filter housing on the fuel pump. Took it off and found it was sorta warped. Had two bad scratch areas.

Ordered new one. And installed it. Still not holding fuel in the second filter on the pump.

Getting frustrated now. Call Cummins again. Discuss situation, order another part. My pump has a fuel holder check valve on the outside of the pump. Ordered those parts. Still not working.

Now I have been consulting with three experienced diesel mechanics.  They have helped so much. And keep encouraging me to keep looking. I did find a local, old time truck repair shop locally. They have been a great help also.

They said to keep looking, testing asking.

I need to tell you I have done work in different construction fields in my life. And repaired a lot of stuff.

Today I can tell you that hydraulic fittings are 37 degrees angle.

SAE fittings are 45 degrees in angle.

Hydraulic shop said they will work mating together.

Bad word in end of finger. Stop that finger.

Mixing angles is not a good thing.

This is a short story of what has been happening. Besides missing some fishing in w

Wyoming and Montana.

More info to follow 

Well today we found the fuel pump has 135 pressure at idle. That I think is good.

Then I pulled a vacuum on the ecm check valve. To see if the fuel drained back from the check valve. If it did, I would only 1/2 cup since Friday. That would probably be hard to tell how much it did drain back.

Called Cummins this am will little info transferred to me.

Installed a clear fuel line between ecm and first fuel filter. With fuel in it. 

Then I thought about  resetting the throttle position sensor. Couldn’t hurt. It is not taking throttle as it should. So with the key in the on position, I slowly pushed the throttle down, then let it up slowly. Did that three times.

Disconnected the ecm batteries for a 20 minute time.

So  the DW started the truck, with giving hand signals. Well now it will take throttle.     Almost doing its thing.

More thinking tomorrow am. Thinking of doing a bucket test on the fuel pump tomorrow.     But it sorta thinks cam sensor.    Yea it has its own mind.

Edited by Wrknrvr

On 5/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, Wrknrvr said:

Now I have been consulting with three experienced diesel mechanics.

Please don't tell me I'm in this group. I'm just a country boy with diesel stained knees. Not the jeans, my actual knees. 

Please e-mail us here.

The other thing I noticed yesterday was a full clear supply line of fuel as the engine was running.

If you remember I was having empty fuel filters in the middle of this doctors visit.    Even if it was a back woods county doctor.

Full clear fuel line poses a thought. Thinking? 45 minutes later?

Will it start again, without filling the fuel filters again. The clear line has had no air bubbles in it since after starting the truck. And the hose is hanging down on the ground.

Let’s see if it will start again?

Try to start the truck.      It starts. Acts normal......

Will it take throttle?   It does. 

But it has a miss.

So with resetting the throttle position sensor, it will take fuel and rev up. But it slows ever so slightly, has one miss, then back it it’s normal speed again.

Thinking again?    Both me and the truck. I believe the truck wanted to be a teenager again and rebel. Sure acts like it.

Edited by Wrknrvr

Today was a day to go grocery shopping and other DW stuff. 

Although I wanted to wash our Jeep, just in case I can get the truck operational. Before washing the Jeep I thought I would see if the truck would start. Just as I let sit last night.

Turned the key on. Left it cycle through its test.   Turned to the start position, and after about 5 rotations or so it fired up as normal. Check the fuel pressure . 135 psi and steady. Just idled it a few minutes. And no air in the clear supply line. Turned it off.  When I had air leaks both fuel filters needed filled as they were empty, before I could start it.

Will get back to it tomorrow morning.

Then I washed the Jeep.

yea!

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Today I was cleaning up things from working on the truck.    So I thought let’s see how long it will idle.

Last week it only lasted like 3 to 4 minutes until it started to miss.

Today it ran for over 20 minutes without missing.    But if the throttle was pushed, it wanted to miss.

So I think it is time for the bucket test. Took the clear fuel line off the engine. Got fittings, tubing and stuff ready to do the bucket test. Return fuel line will not come off compression fitting. So tighten that back up. Was working on taking another connector apart, but there are storms rolling by.

So closed the truck up and put tools away. Will do it tomorrow am.

I am getting lots of exercise and a lot of steps in a days time.