Window awnings

spindrift

Does anyone have real world data illustrating before and after interior temps after installing window awnings?  Maybe not the smartest idea I ever came up with but we finally had the opportunity to spend some time at Palo Duro Canyon S.P. in Texas and it was HOT.  Went into town and purchased interior, reflective window insulation and it it made quite a difference to the tune of some 8*-10* drop in interior temps.  I'd like to evaluate the cost/benefit for the addition of window awnings. 

Edited by spindrift
misinformation

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

5 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Simply walking from shade to full sun should give you a pretty good idea of the benefits of awnings . ;)

I know we wouldn't be without .

So you would think they would be used to a far greater extent than they are.  I thought my example of using the reflective window coverings would have shown that their use has obvious benefits. 😉  However, that doesn't address the cost/benefit question.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

10 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Do you have dual pane windows or single pane? The reflective insulation does more than to just shade the window because it also insulates, much the way that dual pane glass helps. 

Dual pane.  

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

9 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

That should mean that shades would be more effective, in my opinion.

I'd prefer to see out of my windows during daytime hours.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

2 hours ago, spindrift said:

I'd prefer to see out of my windows during daytime hours.

If you have awning type of shade that would provide the shade but you can take them in when the sun isn't hitting the windows. Since you have dual panes you probably don't need the extra insulation of what you have been using but awnings will cost more.  Another option would be the heat control film that sticks to the window via static cling. There are also sun shades that go on the outside of the RV windows in much the same manner as the windshield covers that you often see on motorhomes. With those you can see out but in the daytime other can't see in. At night you can see in from outside

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Spindrift,  It seems you are getting lots of answers, but none actually giving the info you requested.  Sometimes forums are like that.

I would fashion a shade out of cardboard and fasten it above a window.  Put a dark object just inside that window.  Now put another dark object by a similar window, and after a bit take a reading with your little infrared temp gun.  If there's a big difference in the temps of the dark objects, buy some shades. Call it farmer technology

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Our MH has Carefree of Colorado window awnings on all windows and the door. They do make a considerable difference but I haven't use a temperature gun to obtain the actual difference. I can feel the difference just standing  in the bedroom with both window awnings retracted and Florida sun shining into the room.

Dual pane window mfgrs. all say not to use a sun shield on the inside of the window, it causes very high temperatures between the panes of glass, and has been known to cause seal failures and glass breakage.

IMO the largest heat loss is a MH windshield glass, which is of course single pane. There is a clear solar shield "tint" made specifically for MH windshields that is applied to the inside, and is advertised as safe for nighttime driving.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I would highly recommend window awnings.  We used them all the time.  You can see out of them and at a distance just fine.  We had double pane.  They also help when it rains to let you open the window, if you want fresh air. They are so easy to put in or out... seconds.  For the big windshield we had a solar screen that attached on the outside thereby blocking the sun or cold before it hit the window.  We could see out just fine.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I can't abide using the bubble insulation from home supply stores. Too much like living in a cave so we bought a quality windshield cover that goes on the outside and reflects the heat while one can see out. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I can't abide using the bubble insulation from home supply stores. Too much like living in a cave so we bought a quality windshield cover that goes on the outside and reflects the heat while one can see out. 

We don't mind the bubble shield for the windshield , as we rarely look out the windshield while we are on site . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

We have window awnings on our Teton. They are nice. We really like ours. Usually let ours up in winter. Sun feels good then. They stay out in warmer weather. Could put a solar panel on it. A 100amp panel make a good awning and give you free electricity. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, spindrift said:

Does anyone have a pic of their coach with the awnings either in or out...preferably both?

Just Google for ads.  You easily pull them down just using an awning hook.  

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Window-Awnings/s?k=RV+Window+Awnings

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/products/sl-window-awning/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 12/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, spindrift said:

Does anyone have a pic of their coach with the awnings either in or out...preferably both?

Image preview

Image preview

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 12/20/2022 at 10:17 PM, Ray,IN said:

Image preview

Image preview

What happened to my pictures? They were there yesterday. Oh, well, here they are again.

Image preview

Image preview

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

I couldn't open then before and still can't  What I see is a link that says "mage preview" and it leads nowhere. 

On 12/21/2022 at 7:00 AM, Kirk W said:

image.png.ee78bda0a42e96ef1d9d4da1a67901d1.pngslwa2.gif

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

What happened to my pictures? They were there yesterday. Oh, well, here they are again.

Image preview

Image preview

Goes around , comes around .