Voter guide for Livingston

SteeblerElf

Hi - I am looking to find out information about the candidates for the school board.  I can find info on candidates for all the other offices, but there does not seem to be an online paper for Livingston or nearby that introduces any info on the school board.  

I am not looking to start a discussion on the candidates or any kind of online ruckus, just trying to get pointed to where any info is.

Thanks,

Eric

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Most of us who use the Escapee mail service do not vote in school board elections or others that have no impact on us while living and traveling fulltime. 

I agree 100 %. Eric I will add to Kirk's reasoning. As a Legal Resident of Polk county, I don't support the local tax base very much (I spend 1 night in Polk County in 2022 and 2 or 3 night 2021). I feel the local tax payers should know the Candidates who manage the school's direction and finances.

Likewise I responding to a person who don't disclose the area your from like Texas, DC, Canada.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

1 hour ago, SteeblerElf said:

Thanks, I understand that it is not important to everyone, but it is important to me.  I would think there would be a list of candidates with a statement or two from them somewhere.

Eric

Check the League of Women Voters website. I got a lot of information from them on candidates including those for my local school board. They are a non-partisan group. We apparently have a hot race for school board here as I got lots of brochures sent to me as well for that particular race.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Most of us who use the Escapee mail service do not vote in school board elections or others that have no impact on us while living and traveling fulltime. 

Same here, Kirk. And doing so can reduce animosity from "full-time Polk County residents" who think a large bloc of RVers shouldn't be meddling in their local politics. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

There was a lawsuit against Escapees because people were voting for local folks who didn't reside in Texas. 

Actually his issue was that Escapee fulltimers were voting at all in Polk Co. That was taking place just as we "moved" from Ft. Worth to Livingston in May of 2000. The link posted leads to the ruling by the appeals court when the initian suit in Polk Co. District Court also went against him. The following comes from CaseText.com and is a summary of the original case that was filed in Polk County Court.

Fifty-seven days before the November 7, 2000, general election for national, state, and local offices, three persons challenged these voters, alleging the Escapees were not actual bona fide residents of Polk County, and sought to have then' names expunged from the rolls of qualified voters. That turn of events gave rise to the case of Curtis v. Smith before this three-judge Court. The Curtis plaintiffs are members of the Escapees who purport to represent the interests of the approximately 9,000 members claiming Polk County residence. The defendant, Mr. "Bid" Smith, is the Polk County Tax Assessor-Collector and also, by statute, the county's registrar of voters. The three persons who submitted the challenges became intervenor-defendants in the case.

An injunction was filed that allowed the counting of the challenged ballots on Nov. 3, 2000.  The eventual ruling against the claimants lead to the appeal in the link. That cast too was appealed and eventually the TX Supreme Court upheld the rulings.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/1/2022 at 5:35 PM, SteeblerElf said:

Hi - I am looking to find out information about the candidates for the school board.  I can find info on candidates for all the other offices, but there does not seem to be an online paper for Livingston or nearby that introduces any info on the school board.  

I am not looking to start a discussion on the candidates or any kind of online ruckus, just trying to get pointed to where any info is.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric and welcome to the forums. Ballotpedia is totally non partisan and I just used them again to vote here and already dropped our ballots off, got our confirmation email the next day that they were received, and the day after that an email that they were counted.

To answer your original question just go to Ballotpedia's sample ballot page here: https://ballotpedia.org/Sample_Ballot_Lookup

Then enter your address. I used the Escapees HQ Address. 107 Rainbow Dr # 755 Livingston Texas 77399

Then click on the election date (There is only one) November 8 2022.

That ballot for Livingston only has State board of education with two candidates. If you click on the right arrow on the right it opens all their info including supporters and donors and any history. Here is a screen shot showing where that arrow is if you are looking for state school board:NzXXzIJl.jpg

If you are looking for the Livingston ISD School board elections 2022 they are not even listed in ballotpedia:

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_school_board_elections,_2022

Here is the Livingston Independent School District (ISD) website:

https://www.livingstonisd.com/index.php?pageID=14992

Perhaps those elections are later or were already held as reflected in the Ballotpedia Texas School district elections page for other districts but Livingston ISD isn't even on the list! But it is on the list of school districts in Texas: https://www.greatschools.org/schools/districts/Texas/TX/#:~:text=All districts in Texas Texas School Districts Show, Hill County 32 more rows

You would likely do better to call both the Livingston ISD.

Livingston Independent School District

1412 South Houston Avenue, Livingston, TX 77351
(936) 328-2100

Hope that helps.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire