soft start plug and play

i'm thinking of getting the plug and play model.

has anyone got one and how do you like it. yes $600 is steep but not compared to 2 honda's or even one predator 3500 gen set. the fact that there is a surge proctor built in is just a bonus.

looking for info from someone that has actually bought one.

thank you

30' Artic Fox TT, 1998 3500 dodge diesel dually.

Traveling with 2 rat terriers and "the cat"

Joe

If you mean the SoftStartUp that goes between the power pedestal and the shore power cord, I don't know of anyone who has but if you do buy one a review of it would be nice. I have also wonderd how it works out if you have a portable EMS device (Southwire or Progressive)?  The spec sheet on this device seems to indicate that it replaces them.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, dblr said:

do they offer it in a 50amp?

I don't believe that they do. It would be much more elaborate to make because there are 2 hot leads (L1 & L2) to deal with and only 1 neutral. Here is an example of a soft start for a single phase motor, what might be put into an RV air conditioner.

attachment.php?attachmentid=320624&d=161

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since a 50 amp RV service has more than enough capacity to handle two A/C's, there's likely little need for the SoftStartUp device. When a 30/50 adapter is used though, the existing 30 amp SoftStartUp device should work, possibly allowing two A/C's to be used.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On their SoftStart RV website I ONLY see a 30 Amp offered for sale

HELPMECHOOSE2a - SoftStartRV

Even if the plug n play works (plus offers some degree of surge protection, how much??) I would prefer and choose the rooftop unit wired direct into the AC compressors start circuit, but that's just me. If you had a 50 amp dual AC RV you would need on one BOTH AC's. I see their HUGE advantage as being able to start an AC with a smaller Generator or Inverter that WOULD NOT allow an AC to start otherwise. Sure either helps, but with a good 50 Amp service there's not a problem running dual AC's regardless without having to spend the bucks.

NO in response to your question I DO NOT OWN ONE so cant help there.   

John T

4 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

On their SoftStart RV website I ONLY see a 30 Amp offered for sale

HELPMECHOOSE2a - SoftStartRV

Even if the plug n play works (plus offers some degree of surge protection, how much??) I would prefer and choose the rooftop unit wired direct into the AC compressors start circuit, but that's just me. If you had a 50 amp dual AC RV you would need on one BOTH AC's. I see their HUGE advantage as being able to start an AC with a smaller Generator or Inverter that WOULD NOT allow an AC to start otherwise. Sure either helps, but with a good 50 Amp service there's not a problem running dual AC's regardless without having to spend the bucks.

NO in response to your question I DO NOT OWN ONE so cant help there.   

John T

As I posted above and as you said, with a 50 amp service and a 50 amp RV, running two A/C's is not an issue. And using a 50 amp RV on 30 amp service or a smaller capacity generator would only need the single 30 amp device. Oh, and the price is about $600... 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 9/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, Kirk W said:

I don't believe that they do. It would be much more elaborate to make because there are 2 hot leads (L1 & L2) to deal with and only 1 neutral. Here is an example of a soft start for a single phase motor, what might be put into an RV air conditioner.

attachment.php?attachmentid=320624&d=161

This is a wiring diagram for a "true" soft start. The device takes the place of the start capacitor for the compressor, "ramping up" the power gradually rather than allowing a one time jolt to get the compressor motor moving. The SoftStartUp doesn't do that. From all that I can gather it is nothing more than your typical EMS - electrical management system that you can buy for WAY LESS than what they are selling their unit for. I use a 50amp SurgeGuard EMS that cost me around $350 and it does everything the SoftStartUp does.

I would think the reason to offer it on a 50 amp service is with units with 3 AC units. They seem to be getting more common.

I thought about getting a soft start, but it was not worth it. A lot of places that don’t offer 50 amps are older parks or parks that can not accommodate large rigs. 
Like anything, it all depends on how and where you go. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 9/9/2022 at 6:32 AM, strawberry joe said:

i'm thinking of getting the plug and play model.

has anyone got one and how do you like it. yes $600 is steep but not compared to 2 honda's or even one predator 3500 gen set. the fact that there is a surge proctor built in is just a bonus.

looking for info from someone that has actually bought one.

thank you

I take it your trying to run your A/C off a small generator like a 2000 Honda and it won't start it. Look at getting a inverter big enough to start and run it and wire the A/C circuit to it. Then just hook your trailer to the generator and let the batteries take the surge when it starts and the generator will keep the batteries up and run the a/c after it starts through the converter.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

An actual "soft start" MUST be installed on EACH AC system to provide ANY benefit for starting/running the AC on a generator. There is NO SUCH THING as a "soft start" that fits on the power line coming into the RV. 

A true soft start, like the MicroAir soft start in the video above replaces the compressor start capacitor. Instead of a boosted surge of power you get a "soft" start of the compressor, where the micro-processor splits the surge into thousands of escalating surges of power to softly start the compressor to moving. 

If you are concerned about protecting your RV's electrical system from low voltage get a Surge Guard EMS in either 30amp or 50amp. Well worth the money to protect your two $1500 AC systems.

One usage of the 30A at Shore Power Soft Start, is for those with 50A coaches but only 15A or 20A power supply. A 20A supply, with a Soft Start would have a much higher chance of being able to leave 1 (one) AC unit on while in storage, in hotter climates... (Lots of variables. But we have lots of overhead with our 50A coach with X's 2 3K Inverter/Chargers. While in storage, via 20A feed. We turn off the coach CB's for everything in the coach except the Washing Machine 20A CB (Where we have an iSocket also plugged in, to feed us info on Power and Temperature Status, as that outlet is on the Non Inverter side of the panel.), and the 20A feed to the Refrigerator (As, we keep the refrigerator stocked with non sensitive cold and freeze items.). We also turn off one of the Inverters, the one that does not power the Refrigerator, to reduce overhead amp usage. Once the batteries reach bulk mode, and with the refrigerator compressor not running, we're at about a 6-8A draw. So a SoftStart at the 20A supply to the coach 'might' help if we wanted to leave one Roof AC set to come on at say 90 degrees (Yuma inside storage.). And that same Soft Start, could also help the management/balance between the Refrigerator Compressor's surge at start, as well as the One AC Unit Surge at start. (Maybe:)!)

Not planning to do this. But talked with a gent that was considering it at for the same reasons... Hope to bump into him again, to see if he did, and how it's working out!

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!