The 5 best electric cars: Plus, the cheapest EV available

RV_

The 5 best electric cars: Plus, the cheapest EV available

What is the best electric car? The Tesla Model 3 is ZDNet's top pick. We researched the top EV brands and compared their electric car models by factors such as innovation, affordability, energy efficiency, and more. We also found the best cheap electric car and other honorable mentions.

Prices, range, cost per year to charge, and reviews included make this a must read.

The lowest priced at $~25k and $35k!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-electric-car/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Lots of folks are talking about buying an EV in response to the current fuel prices. If you set out today to buy one, when will you actually get it? Here is an article from June about delivery times. The range is from 3-24 months depending on make and model. Chevy is advertising to take orders for summer 2023 delivery of the electric Silverado. Some manufacturers have delayed the delivery date for existing orders of some models.

So, if you are looking to reduce your fuel costs today you may be limited in your choices.  Searching Edmunds and Carvana, there are used ones available.

Edited by trailertraveler

trailertraveler,

I have been making that clear especially since I ordered a new Rivian R1T in 2021. I was hoping for a mid 2022 delivery but it is looking more like early 2023, maybe later.

The good news is that this backlog won't last forever.

However my deposit with Rivian locked in the much lower opening price for the truck. As well it is fully refundable - 100%. So if Tesla starts selling the Cybertruck at or below my Rivian price before I get mine I may just order it instead and let this order ride.

Most folks buying a new car today, or in this case ordering one, will likely already have a car or two like we do. So I did not sell my wife's Subaru Baja   until my Tesla came in. Then she inherited my less than a year old Subaru Forester. So waiting a few months to a year should not be an issue.

However some folks can't wait and my $49,999.99 before $4k incentive check low mileage Tesla is now worth ~$66 k or the same price as a new one. With the Pandemic my car still has less than 3k miles on it. Before the crunch was this bad last year my friend sold his Model Y for $60k. 

My point is that anyone who puts a deposit down on one now can sell it for more most likely when it finally gets delivered. I do not suggest this as any market turn could cause a loss. I am just saying for anyone who does want one. Everyone's situation is different.

The other side of that coin is that with demand increasing worldwide the 6-24 month lead time may not get much better with the exception of Tesla and maybe some of the European biggies like Porsche and VW. I bought mine in 2020 ordering in March and taking delivery in June. Mine took longer because I ordered it just as they started production of the then new model Model Y. So demand was already high and prices were much less.

if you'd read my other articles I have been driving my Model Y 2 motor AWD long range for two years almost exactly. and been waiting for our Rivian for 9 months already. But Rivian was a completely new startup who is gaining ground now.

All my yard equipment -Blowers, Mowers, String trimmers, Hedge trimmer, Snowblower, Cultivator, Brush cutter, and hand tools, spotlights, work lights, are all battery now, all Ryobi 18 volt except for the Snowblower and 25" self-propelled mower which are 60 Volt Greenworks. When the Rivian comes in we will be 100% Battery Electric. I will have a celebratory sale of all quarts of oil and the last 5 Gal. gas can. (We still need chain oil for our chainsaw that is battery electric and the batter electric pole saw.) 😉

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV,

I have read your other posts. You seem to have missed the point of mine.

On 7/20/2022 at 7:28 AM, trailertraveler said:

So, if you are looking to reduce your fuel costs today you may be limited in your choices

Waiting 3-24 months doesn't help put food on the table today or help pay the rent or increasing costs of just about every other necessity.

3 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Waiting 3-24 months doesn't help put food on the table today or help pay the rent or increasing costs of just about every other necessity.

With the prices that new EV's cost, buying one wouldn't help anyone to pay their bills. I can put a lot of gasoline in my VW or diesel in my Dodge truck for what any EV replacement would cost even if it were avaiable today. The all electric vehicles are more of a status symbol than money saver at this time. That is the reason you hear so much from those who own one. Cheap transportation is still best from the small, gasoline powered economy car if you consider the cost to buy one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

With the prices that new EV's cost, buying one wouldn't help anyone to pay their bills. I can put a lot of gasoline in my VW or diesel in my Dodge truck for what any EV replacement would cost even if it were avaiable today. The all electric vehicles are more of a status symbol than money saver at this time. That is the reason you hear so much from those who own one. Cheap transportation is still best from the small, gasoline powered economy car if you consider the cost to buy one. 

I agree Kirk, but that is not what I hear on the News as the solution to today's high fuel prices. I also hear that to avoid rolling blackouts we should turn up our thermostats or turn off the air conditioner completely. Not much mention though that a typical class 2 EV charger uses as much power as 2 household air conditioners

Guys, guys, I am an enthusiast and do post here and elsewhere about EV and tech news. But if folks don't want an EV the smart solution is to not buy one. If you do want one then you will have to wait.

If folks don't want an EV why would they care, or be involved the in the topic of "The 5 best electric cars: Plus, the cheapest EV available"

I own both a 25 mpg gas Forester bought new in 2019, and a Tesla Model Y bought new in 2020. I can save money by driving my Y more then the Forester.

The good news is that if you do want one you might get 600 miles range with a solid state battery and faster charging on trips in a couple of years from now! As well the prices are likely to go down too.

I hope you guys get what you want. If that is no new car or truck great!

Remember the EV backlog is NOT because those on waiting lists like me, new car/truck buyers, want a new fossil fueled car or Truck.

If you want a gas or diesel new vehicle the time is now and in the next few years.

Safe and Economical travels!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...