Power washing the engine

trimster

What are the thoughts on power washing the engine?  Of course, staying away from big electrical connectors.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Never.. I don't ever allow a truck wash employee to get near the engine and I don't ever power wash. Maybe a little degreasing and rinse with a hose, but there are way to many expensive things to go wrong there, especially with newer engines with exponentially more sensors and wiring. Jay

Engines are pressure washed every day of the week.  All electrical connections are waterproof.  My engine is pressure washed at least 2X per month.  Not only do I like a clean engine, it's easier to see an issue when you see a tell-tale trail of oil and/or coolant.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Amen to Tom's comment... our favorite place to bathe the truck does a decent rinse with open hood (Danny's Oasis Truck Center, west PHX); they do a nice job, standard treatment includes towel down the window and major exterior sections... tire treatment & topocal wax (avoid the RainX, it's bad for the clear coat, my local RV wash & wax guy advises!).

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

Got it.

I'll stay away from 'blasting' the main electrical connectors. Run the engine until warm to drive off moisture.

I'm chasing a few leaks and need a clean slate to locate the source(s). And I'd like the RotoFilter to be clean before I pull it off and replace the leaking seals.

Thanks all.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I routinely pressure washed all my farm equipment, including truck engines.  Never an issue,  As Spindrift says, it sure makes finding leaks easier.  Just use common sense and don't hold the nozzle close to, or long, on critical areas.  If you have a pressure washer with soap induction, or even better heat, use a light pre-treat coating to get things softened up, then a thorough rinse.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We wash the engines on our trucks all the time. We have to. In my line of work, they get filthy. Just don't spray too hard on the pugs on the firewall. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Gave it a quick power wash. Pre-treated some areas. Kept away from major connectors and such. Then started the beast and let it run until running temp was reached. . Dried it out nicely. I need to get under the engine and trans now. There's something weeping those annoying drops on the driveway. Not many. Just enough to piss one off. The main drip will be fixed when I rebuild the rotofilter.

On to the next problem... air leaks in the lines on the firewall.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg