Smart car choice input!

rpsinc

Considering getting a Smart and looking at a couple options:

We wont use as a primary car except when we travel, not fulltiming now.

1st option:     2013 123,5K miles in good condition, a bit over $5K

2nd option:   2008   53K miles in good condition, around $5.5K

3rd option:    2010   63K miles, new tires, plugs & coils, oil change, $6K

No experience in knowing about +s or -s on those years, or watchouts, or issues, expected miles before needing to rebuild engine/trans etc.

What say you???

Marcel

Concur with GlennWest.  The difference between my 2011 and 2016 is amazing. Don't know when Smart went to the newer setup.  Someone on here will know.    

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

The newer version came out in 2016 in the USA even though Wikipedia shows it came out in July of 2014. I believe 2017 was the last year for a gas version.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

'05 will be diesel. May be impossible to register, due to "Grey Market" importation rules. Option 1 has a lot of miles compared to option 3, but it is a better drivetrain model. Slightly bigger body, too, if that's important.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

'05 will be diesel. May be impossible to register, due to "Grey Market" importation rules. Option 1 has a lot of miles compared to option 3, but it is a better drivetrain model. Slightly bigger body, too, if that's important.

Input from seller on '05.  They are an independent Smart service shop.  It also helped that this was a Certified CA Car with a legal US Conversion that was done by G&K. This is not a Grey Market Vehicle, but one with a fully legal US Title.

Marcel

Get the later (2016-17) version.  You won't be sorry.  Lots of improvements, and mostly major items.  We had a 2013 and liked it just fine, until we drove a 2016.  Now we use the 2016 as often as we use our "real car".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

13 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Get the later (2016-17) version.  You won't be sorry.  Lots of improvements, and mostly major items.  We had a 2013 and liked it just fine, until we drove a 2016.  Now we use the 2016 as often as we use our "real car".

Thanks for the input.  Struggling with spending that much $.  The ones I'm looking at are in the $6K or less area, but stepping up to the 453s, would require getting my DW to support $12-18K expense and then use it as HER primary car.  She tends to keep her cars for a long time and its tough to get her to change.  She is even considering just driving HER car while I drive the 730 and trailer.   Seems to me it defeats the intent of traveling together.

Marcel

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Input from seller on '05.  They are an independent Smart service shop.  It also helped that this was a Certified CA Car with a legal US Conversion that was done by G&K. This is not a Grey Market Vehicle, but one with a fully legal US Title.

That's good and bad news. G&K only converted a few, so drivetrain parts could be an issue, but registration would be a breeze. Plus is that it's shorter than all the newer body styles, con is overall parts availability from low numbers and age.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Silly question, but maybe not....  Have you driven both 452 and 453 models?  That could convince you it's worth the premium, or that the difference isn't warranted because it won't get used much.

We have a 2013 Prime, and it gets driven almost as much as the 2015 Lexus.  Pros and cons to both.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I have not driven ANY Smart and have only ridden in 1 twice.  I am at the very beginning of this journey.  We found a 2008 close to us and are planning on driving it.  Then in an opposite direction is a 2016 on a car lot, which based on input here, I will also drive.

Marcel

6 hours ago, geodog1 said:

You will find an enormous difference between the 08 and 16. Both in ride quality and handling.

ShortyO

Definitely. The decision lies in whether the improvement is woth the price difference, and mileage difference. Don't buy the first one you see.

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I am surprised at how much more money they are now. Last year they were a lot less.

Everything has jumped, price out a pickup.

Please e-mail us here.

If you don't want to spend the money do not drive the 453. We just bought 452 two months ago and heard all the the hype about the difference. Found it hard to be line so went and drove one that we found close. We now own a 453 lost about 2k turning car so quick however love the car and not concern about the loss.

2000 Volvo 770

2022 Momentum 397TH-R

2016 Smart Fourtwo

2018 HD Road Glide Ultra

• 4 weeks later...

So an update to this topic

My wife went to drive a 453 and was impressed with it as to power and comfort.  Your advise to look for this model and that being reinforced by a Smart car repair company, the 453 model was improved a bunch and is a better car over the 451.  

I plan to drive the same car in the next few days and we'll see where that goes.  I have ceased my search for a 451.

Thank you all.

Marcel

You will not be disappointed.  That said, what with the car no longer being imported here, I'm questioning my bed build.  But, I could buy a couple spare smarts to have if we ever wear this one out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

• 11 months later...

Well, almost a year later and we have a deal on a 2016 Smart with 66K miles.  We looked at a lot of them and prices were all over the place but in the last few months have come down to where I was willing to pull the trigger.  We pick it up on Sunday.

Thanks to all that provided some helpful info to assist on this journey.  Now to buy the ramps and build the chocks.

Marcel