TX Drivers License ID Problem

Mike M

Was wondering if anyone else domiciled in TX had a similar issue with their driver's license as happened to me today. Wife and I just obtained DL's in April 2021 using our Livingston addy. I tried to rent a car today and Avis' system would not accept my Texas DL as a valid form of ID. They said it was an issue on the state DPS end. They needed a second form of government-issued ID to rent me the car. So they're not rejecting it as an invalid license, only as ID.

I have to go back tomorrow with my passport to get the car.

Has anything like this happened to any of you with TX domicile and DL?

Mike

3 minutes ago, Mike M said:

Has anything like this happened to any of you with TX domicile and DL?

Yours is the first such incident that I have heard of. I did use my license with the Escapees address to rent a car but it was at least 10 years ago so probably doesn't mean much. Would you call the Escapees office and report this to them? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

OK, it turned out to be a false alarm. I went back to Avis today, with passport as a second form of ID, but this time they accepted my license as ID. Turns out yesterday the agent either typed in or didn't type in my middle initial, not sure which, but it confused their system and that's why my license didn't get accepted the first time.

I do have the star on my license, BTW. Someone actually told me about that yesterday.

Thanks again for all your concerns!

Damn computers, they get so persnickety about missing or two many letters - - we always know what we mean when we type, as do the people at any place typing info in.  Why I love the strips/square on the back of things.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The star shows that your license meets the requirements for the federal RealID program. This is to allow you to use it for boarding an airplane flight. I'm not sure if the rules are in effect or if it has been postoned again. I didn't know that it matters for a car rental.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

5 hours ago, Mike M said:

this time they accepted my license as ID. Turns out yesterday the agent either typed in or didn't type in my middle initial, not sure which, but it confused their system and that's why my license didn't get accepted the first time.

But your wife's driver's license was also rejected when yours was.  Was the agent making the same mistake when entering her information as when entering yours?  If so, it seems to me there would have been a lot of prior rejections of people's driver's licenses if the agent has a habit of doing it wrong. 

Defective biological peripheral.😅

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 12/31/2021 at 6:17 PM, Blues said:

But your wife's driver's license was also rejected when yours was.  Was the agent making the same mistake when entering her information as when entering yours?  If so, it seems to me there would have been a lot of prior rejections of people's driver's licenses if the agent has a habit of doing it wrong. 

i'm not sure but I'm assuming the agent make the same mistake entering my wife's name as she did with mine. The agent admitted she was relatively new.