Commercials on streaming.....

lappir

I go to bed very early so all the "Prime Time" TV shows I  want to watch I go to the network website and watch them at a time convenient for me. Most of the time the first 15 to 20 minutes go pretty good, then when a commercial is playing everything just stops. I have tried leaving it for a bit to see if it would resume, but most of the time it does not. I have to "Reload" the page and then it takes usually two attempts to get through the 120 seconds of commercials. It's infuriating to see just 20 seconds remaining and it stops again. 

I used to just let the program run and then try to be sure I came back before the end and start it over. I could sometimes skip many of the commercials that repeat over and over. Then I'd find the first section of the program was all that ran and the computer screen would have some commercial frozen on the screen. 

Anyone have a fix ? 

I do not sign up for any of the network "Accounts". The shows are broadcast over the airways for free so why should I have to sign up for or use some "App" just to watch the show???

I guess I could dig out the old VCR and see if it will work to record. I never had luck with any of the digital systems. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The OTA broadcast has the commercials.  That's what pays for them to be free.   When you stream off of the network website, you see the exact same thing because you aren't paying NOT to see commercials.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

The OTA broadcast has the commercials.  That's what pays for them to be free.   When you stream off of the network website, you see the exact same thing because you aren't paying NOT to see commercials.  

I certainly understand the reason for "Commercials" and watch them both using the OTA and "Streaming". I just want to find out how to keep them from FREEZING up and preventing me from watching the entire commercial and therefore the entire program. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

So you are using some type of computer and program or app to stream, view and record I presume?

Check that everything is up to date, operating systems, applications, firmware, etc for all the devices and programs you are using to stream / record with. It could be a codec is just out of date or no longer supported, versions get updated, etc

10 hours ago, palmeris said:

So you are using some type of computer and program or app to stream, view and record I presume?

Check that everything is up to date, operating systems, applications, firmware, etc for all the devices and programs you are using to stream / record with. It could be a codec is just out of date or no longer supported, versions get updated, etc

No I am using my computer to watch shows on the major networks (ABC, CBS and NBC)  at a time that is more convenient for me than the times they are shown on air on my TV. 

I do not use an app. I use the XXX.com (fill in the network initials) and find the shows. One does not allow you to watch an episode until the next one is broadcast. The other two I can watch the day after the OTA Broadcast.  I hardly ever have the "Show" freeze, but almost every section of "Commercials" I have to refresh at least once and often times several before it will play through the entire 2 to 3 minutes of commercials. 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

So you are using a computer... it has a browser that you use to connect to XXX.com...make sure your computer OS is up to date by going to its appropriate site , such as microsoft or apple, and check for OS updates, patches, etc... same with the hardware for the make of your computer, for example Dell.com to check for BIOS, firmware, hardware, driver updates...also do the same for whatever browser you are using, , explorer, chrome, edge, etc. You could also try using a different browser than what you are currently using.

If you are not using the Edge browser and are using a Microsoft computer use it. It woks better for me then Firefox for some images that Kirk has posted in the past. I am migrating to Edge eventually as it is better in several ways.

If you are using Apple disregard my use of Edge. Which OS?

If windows follow the instruction to fix corrupt files in this link. Use SFC first then restart the computer. 

Then run the DISM tool according to the directions and reboot.

Even fully updated you can have corrupted files in Windows and even though these can take ten minutes each to run it is much easier than doing a wipe and Windows fresh install and has much the same effect. I just had some issues with VLC crashing and my Windows Mail program acting strange. Once I determined it was not any infection I ran SFC as above and DISM. I did not do the logs or use safe mode. Very easy and fixes a variety of problems safely if you follow the directions exactly and copy/paste the commands from the instructions so the spaces are right.

Hope that helps

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thank you for the responses,  but it appears I will just have to live with the issues. 

I had an email this weekend about being able to watch a live game with the Florida State Womens basketball playing. I clicked on the link but was asked what "TV Provider" I used. My TV provider is my TV antenna or what the "RV Park" provides  and I don't have a "Password or Account Number" for such and therefore I cannot watch  the event. 

I tries to sign up for ESPN and HULU, but both wanted me to allow my computer to show them my current location so they could "Taylor" my content. I WANT TO WATCH FSU Womens Basketball. I care nothing about what's available where I am at any given moment. I move about......

I had "Dish" when I first became a full time RV'er. but quickly found out that was not for me. I bought a " digital" antenna and have a couple pieces of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe I extend above my "Home on Wheels" if the park does not have "Cable".  I am happy if I get at least one of the major networks. I usually scan and get 12 to 20 channels depending on my location using this antenna. Over half of them I delete. But that's OK. 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod I understand better now. I have two of these computer tuners for over the air reception on my desktop all in ones while I'm doing other things online. But they are also awesome DVRs that can record your programs too. However the computer has to be on for the schedules recordings to record, and you can fast forward on them. For example here in mountain time CBS Sunday Morning comes on at 7am -8:30. Too early for us so I schedule it and turn the computer on Saturday night to catch it. It records to the computer's drive so you don't want to collect.

I also have one of these too https://hauppauge.com/pages/webstore2/webstore_cordcuttertv.html but For HDMI Fire TV I can't use Windows at the same time on my PCs,thus the USB tuners.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks, I'll take a look at the links this evening. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 11/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, RV_ said:

Rod I understand better now. I have two of these computer tuners for over the air reception on my desktop all in ones while I'm doing other things online. But they are also awesome DVRs that can record your programs too. However the computer has to be on for the schedules recordings to record, and you can fast forward on them. For example here in mountain time CBS Sunday Morning comes on at 7am -8:30. Too early for us so I schedule it and turn the computer on Saturday night to catch it. It records to the computer's drive so you don't want to collect.

I also have one of these too https://hauppauge.com/pages/webstore2/webstore_cordcuttertv.html but For HDMI Fire TV I can't use Windows at the same time on my PCs,thus the USB tuners.

At an RV or Home show a few years ago I purchased one of those cut the cable things. It didn't work very good, but I was able to get my money back. I think it was related to my location at the time, but maybe not. I was able to use my phone internet connection to watch the "Major Networks" without issue. 

This week I signed up for "HULU", because I needed it to get ESPN. I want to watch the FSU Womens Basketball games and it seems that's the only way. Of course since I signed up they played in a tournament that it's own "Subscription needed to watch". No thanks. I would have missed the games anyway. I was on call and got called in for most of the time the games were being played. 

I was able to find an old game and watched most of it. That only made me want to watch more games. 

Funny, the HULU works fine with my computer and internet connection. There has been nary a flicker or pause. Seems the major networks are trying to get you to pay for something that you shouldn't have to . If the ever offer Completely commercial free TV like they do with many music services at a reasonable cost, sign me up. 

I don't mean like the HBO or Show Time that maybe don't show advertisements for Health care, medications, seed or fertilizer, cars or trucks or the other mindless offerings advertisers seem to convince people to pay for.  When I used to pay for HBO or Showtime it infuriated me that I had to watch the same "Coming soon" commercial for something I probably wasn't going to watch anyway. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

So, this weekend I visited my Mother. She is obsessed with the National Finals Rodeo that is currently going on in Las Vegas and is on the "Cowboy Network" and RFD TV. 

1. It started around 11 AM and continues well past midnight. I watched it on Friday, but could not continue Saturday and while I was there on Sunday. I decided to check out the computer and was able to watch the entire episode's of two shows on CBS that I missed while watching the "Rodeo".  The episodes were uninterrupted and all the commercials ran to completion.  Mom does have a "Cable"  internet supplier, while mine is  a tethered connection with a cellular network.  All my other streaming is fine, but the major networks are somehow blocking me from watching the episodes on my home computer. It is the device I usually watch them on, so maybe I need to upgrade so I will have a new "internet address". 

I have an issue with the Networks providing content with commercials,  over the airways at no charge and yet the same content is provided with commercials on a "Paid" service yet on my personal computer  I cannot watch the same content .

This has turned into a vent post for me. If anyone has a solution, I'm willing to try them, if not thanks for reading. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

VPN, I use Nord: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/SmartDNS/1161156142/What-is-SmartDNS.htm

I have good service doing what you describe you want to do if I choose to. I make no guarantee you will have the same results I do. YMMV Caveat Emptor!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

23 hours ago, lappir said:

So, this weekend I visited my Mother. She is obsessed with the National Finals Rodeo that is currently going on in Las Vegas and is on the "Cowboy Network" and RFD TV. 

1. It started around 11 AM and continues well past midnight. I watched it on Friday, but could not continue Saturday and while I was there on Sunday. I decided to check out the computer and was able to watch the entire episode's of two shows on CBS that I missed while watching the "Rodeo".  The episodes were uninterrupted and all the commercials ran to completion.  Mom does have a "Cable"  internet supplier, while mine is  a tethered connection with a cellular network.  All my other streaming is fine, but the major networks are somehow blocking me from watching the episodes on my home computer. It is the device I usually watch them on, so maybe I need to upgrade so I will have a new "internet address". 

I have an issue with the Networks providing content with commercials,  over the airways at no charge and yet the same content is provided with commercials on a "Paid" service yet on my personal computer  I cannot watch the same content .

This has turned into a vent post for me. If anyone has a solution, I'm willing to try them, if not thanks for reading. 

Rod

For paid streaming, like satellite and cable, you're not paying for content as much as you're paying for the delivery of the content.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system