Volvo 610 Clutch Question

747Flyer

1998 Volvo 610 with a Cummins N14 Celect and Eaton Fuller Super 10. Issue is that when getting under way from stopped, the clutch engages and the truck begins moving with the clutch pedal still very close to the floor. Replaced clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. This is the older style vertically mounted slave cylinder. It has a pointer and metal tag mounted near the slave cylinder. The pointer is well within the area marked "normal operating range" on the tag. (The tag also has a section marked " clutch adjustment required.") Adjusted clutch to have 1/2" gap between clutch brake and throw out bearing. Moving the adjustment bolt on the pressure plate with the clutch pedal depressed) both ways a few turns either side of that setting had no effect on the problem. Truck shifts fine and no clutch slippage noted. I have driven vehicles with manual transmissions my entire life, and I hate the feel of this - it doesn't feel right nor seem safe... but is it normal for this truck??

Edited by 747Flyer

There could also be a very slow leak past one of the seals in the hydraulic clutch system.  Maybe be block the pedal down and watch for movement in the clutch area.

I know you put new parts in, but it could still be the problem.

Just thinking,   Vern

is the clutch brake operational. Maybe be just have someone hold the pedal down while you watch underneath.

Edited by Wrknrvr

Thanks for your replies. I failed to explain that I actually had 2 separate  clutch issues. I changed the clutch master and slave cylinders and bled the system due to a failure of the slave cylinder. I was sitting at a local traffic light with the clutch pedal to the floor when the clutch engaged and the truck started to go. Fortunately I didn't hit the car in front of me but it was close. The truck did this several more times on my way home. Changing the parts has cured that issue. I also changed the clutch brake about two months ago and it works fine too. 

The second issue ( or at least I thought it was a problem) is that I feel like the clutch engages too close to the floor when easing up on the pedal. It has been that way since I bought the truck in March. Maybe it's just me. A million miler ex trucker and truck and heavy equipment mechanic was at my place today working on a rental track hoe. I had him start the truck and move it several times and he said that the clutch engagement was fine - just how he liked it to be. So....Maybe I just need to learn to like it....Dunno

Edited by 747Flyer

The primary way I know my clutch needs adjusting in my '99 Volvo is that it's engaging too far up on the pedal upstroke. It's always nice after it gets adjusted and the clutch engages closer to the floor, but how close probably depends on the individual truck. Jay

11 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

The primary way I know my clutch needs adjusting in my '99 Volvo is that it's engaging too far up on the pedal upstroke. It's always nice after it gets adjusted and the clutch engages closer to the floor, but how close probably depends on the individual truck. Jay

👍

10 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Just had a clutch put in my "98 610, Cummins M11 and 10 speed Rockwell.  It engages about an inch to Inch and 1/2 off the floor.  Which is a whole lot better than at the top of the stroke.

Sounds like all is well then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Thanks for your post.