New Dometic Cooling Unit

Zulu

If it were me, I would probably replace it with this one, but if you do a Google search you will come up with a long list of remanufactured and new replacement cooling units made by aftermarket vendors. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Another vote for the Amish Cooling unit.

Only problem with replacing the cooling unit is to be very sure you have the new cooling unit well sealed to the old casing.  If there is a leak in the sealant, moisture will get into the unit and ir stops cooling so well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I have done two over the years. I got mine out of Tucson, AZ. What we did was pull the refers out of the cabinet, then layed it over the coffee table, (back of refer face up looking at you) that was protected by cardboard and a blanket. All the preliminary work that was inside the freezer box and refer box, that needed  to be done was taken care of while still in the cabinet. Then took the screws  out on the back that hold the cooling unit to the box. Then came the "scary" part, removing the unit from the box itself. I used a short pry bar with a 2x4 underneath it to provide leverage. While it was separating, "cracking" sounds of it braking loose and just popped out. Be sure to follow the instructions when applying the new mastic which is very important. The second one I did, it probably took me half the time of the first. Not a bad job, but having two people really help. There are some good videos online and the Tucson supplier also had very good instructions.

Zulu good questions, here are a few You Tube videos addressing cooling unit changeovers, both with traditional RV Gas/Electric as well as converting to 12 Volt, plus a good vendor, Cooling Unit Warehouse, check them out hope this helps

RV Cooling Unit Change out - YouTube

RV Refrigerator Full Cooling Unit Replacement Tips & Tricks - YouTube

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Converting our RV Fridge to a High Efficiency DC Compressor- 8x More Efficient! and Better Cooling! - YouTube

John T

13 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

There are some good videos online and the Tucson supplier also had very good instructions.

Who did you get your cooling unit from? I have not changed one but did assist once and that until came for a supplier who installed a Fridge Defend as part of his reconditioning but I have been unable to come up with who it was. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Zulu good questions, here are a few You Tube videos addressing cooling unit changeovers, both with traditional RV Gas/Electric as well as converting to 12 Volt, plus a good vendor, Cooling Unit Warehouse, check them out hope this helps

RV Cooling Unit Change out - YouTube

RV Refrigerator Full Cooling Unit Replacement Tips & Tricks - YouTube

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Converting our RV Fridge to a High Efficiency DC Compressor- 8x More Efficient! and Better Cooling! - YouTube

John T

Great info, tx!

Have you (or anyone else) installed one of these high efficiency DC compressors?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

14 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Have you (or anyone else) installed one of these high efficiency DC compressors?

Zulu, No I have NOT installed one of the 12 VDC Compressor units, maybe some fine gent here has ???? They interest me due to their improved efficiency, safety and  convenience should my RV fridge ever crap out, so I have followed the reviews.. HOWEVER if a person boondocks often and  opted for a 12 VDC fridge, they need adequate battery and solar or other recharge methods, which I already have.

Only you know your needs, budget and abilities, good luck on your decision, sorry, no other help from me.

John T

I switched one out but it's been a number of years ago.  I went with the "Amish" new unit.  I did it by myself following the directions supplied.  Although I was frustrated a few times it came out just fine.  I kept that rig for several years and it never gave me a problem.  Actually it worked extremely well.   I'd do it again.

Kirk, I'll try to find the paper work, been quite a while. The first one he shipped directly to me, the 2nd, he had a RV repair joint here in Yuma that became a dealer and was bringing a load over to here, so he put my name on it, and I just stopped by and picked it up. I saw him up at Quartzite one time and he had a tandem axle flatbed just loaded full. He had just picked them up from outfits around Q.

On 10/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, TXiceman said:

Another vote for the Amish Cooling unit.

And another here for JC Refrigeration aka Dutch Aire/Amish Cooling. And it keeps ice cream solid!  They installed it while we waited.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 2 months later...