Adjusting Brake Pedal

SuiteSuccess

Noticed after breaking cruise control it would not re-engage occasionally. Finally figured out that if I put my toe under the pedal and pulled back slightly it would re-engage every time which tells me the pedal is not “springing back” completely. How do I re-adjust the pedal?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I would think a 2006 Volvo cruise control is controlled by a pressure sensor in the foundation brake circuit somewheres. 

The foot valve might be hanging up a bit keeping some air psi on the foundation brake circuit. Do you see any psi on the brake application pressure guage, even 1/2 a needle? 

It could be a sensor or stiction in the foot valve. 

Note: they can write several volumes about what I don't know about Volvo trucks. 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The time mine was doing this it had to go the the shop for a sensor (think it was a throttle position sensor). Until it was replaced I put a small bungee on the pedal to hold it up a bit. That worked fine.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

30 minutes ago, noteven said:

I would think a 2006 Volvo cruise control is controlled by a pressure sensor in the foundation brake circuit somewheres. 

The foot valve might be hanging up a bit keeping some air psi on the foundation brake circuit. Do you see any psi on the brake application pressure guage, even 1/2 a needle? 

It could be a sensor or stiction in the foot valve. 

Note: they can write several volumes about what I don't know about Volvo trucks. 🤣

Sorry don’t have a gauge on my truck. My instrumentation is very Spartan.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

31 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

The time mine was doing this it had to go the the shop for a sensor (think it was a throttle position sensor). Until it was replaced I put a small bungee on the pedal to hold it up a bit. That worked fine.

Thanks Brad. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Same here Carl.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Several years ago I replaced my throttle position sensor. Just as preventative work.

My cruise control worked good on basically level travel. But coming to a hill I would need to help it before it really needed power, as it would then try to catch up to the proper rpms. I just lived with it.

Once I replaced the tps the cruiser control has worked as designed. On my 2000 VNL it was just the sensor itself that was replaced. A year or so later I changed one for a friend on a 2004 VNL and it included the peddle.

It was simple to replace on both trucks.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Carl I went back to my maintenance log and the only thing it said was adjusted the brake pedal. No mention of any sensors replaced. Mine would actually disengage the Cruise control if we hit a bump. I attributed (how do you like that word) it to the pedal bouncing a bit so it thought I pressed the pedal. I have no idea what they did to adjust it but the baby bungee holding the pedal up corrected the problem until the shop adjusted the pedal.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

39 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Carl I went back to my maintenance log and the only thing it said was adjusted the brake pedal. No mention of any sensors replaced. Mine would actually disengage the Cruise control if we hit a bump. I attributed (how do you like that word) it to the pedal bouncing a bit so it thought I pressed the pedal. I have no idea what they did to adjust it but the baby bungee holding the pedal up corrected the problem until the shop adjusted the pedal.

Thanks Brad. I’m thinking that’s all I need.  It’s not disengaging with bumps etc.  Mostly occurring when I just tap the brake pedal to disengage. If I press hard on the brake, no issues with cc re-engaging. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Found a service bulletin on how to adjust. Will see if I can post. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3