Driving and Systems Private Instructor

RandyP

My wife and I recently purchased a 2019 Newmar Dutch Star from a private individual in Rapid City, SD. We're going full-time at the beginning of September and, as you can guess, we're very excited to start this adventure.

While we've been planning this move for years, we're novices to the RV world. We're currently going through the online classes on Escapees. But we feel we need some in-person assistance. However, the timing and location of in-person courses is a challenge to us. We're fortunate to have the means to hire a private instructor to get us started on both driving and some in-depth lessons on the systems. We have some questions that we're hoping the knowledgeable folks on this forum can help with us with:

1) Is getting a private instructor a good idea?

2) How do we go about finding a private instructor? Do know someone you could recommend?

3) Any idea what we should expect to pay?

We appreciate any assistance. And we look forward to learning more about this grand adventure. 

Randy and Marie

I don't know about private instructors, but I will say it will be a great idea to have a decent set of tools and spare parts for the road. Being able to make minor repairs here and there will be a big money saver along the way. I had to learn all about the water heater while out on a trip. But I wasn't able to get it up and running again until we got back. Now I have spare parts and know all about my WH.

Oh, another great tip is for the toilet. If it gets backed up or in need of a clearing of the tube between the bowl and the tank use hot water. NOT boiling. Just pour it right down the middle of the tube. My boys had it blocked pretty good and the hot water from the WH (140 deg. most thermostats) cleared it right up. If you want to heat it on the stove do so only until it just starts to steam a little. If you have a thermometer I'd go 120-130.

Happy Camping ahead!

Chuck

Regarding your question about a private instructor, if you are in anyway apprehensive about driving a large vehicle I would highly recommend getting some professional instruction.  There are many things you can learn from a professional that will greatly ease the transition into driving a large vehicle.  I can recommend Glyn Carson.  He is a full time RVer with a background as a professional/commercial driver and instructor.  He is also an Escapee.  He puts on classes at RV rallies and also does one on one instruction.  His email is: twolanedrivingtips@hotmail.com. Send him an email and see what he can do or recommend for you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I can recommend Glyn Carson.  He is a full time RVer with a background as a professional/commercial driver and instructor.  He is also an Escapee.  He puts on classes at RV rallies and also does one on one instruction.  His email is: twolanedrivingtips@hotmail.com. Send him an email and see what he can do or recommend for you.

Absolutely! I know Glyn and he takes his job very seriously and is very good at it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Some larger RV dealerships will have someone such as you are seeking to teach novices how to drive and maneuver  MH's.

There are many utube videos for learning how to back, turn sharp corners, and hook up towed vehicles.

As to learning about your MH appliances, bryantrv.com has free owner and service manuals  for download for almost all makes and models .

Another appliance manuals download website is myrvworks.com

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Awesome! So much good advice. We're in the process of scheduling a private driving instructor near our RV in South Dakota. My confidence has gone up greatly.  I joined this forum to get this kind of feedback.  I'll be back with more questions.  Probably sooner rather than later.

I hope there comes a day when I can provide this kind of knowledge.

Thanks, Randy