Jump to content

Semi Truck Fire on I -15 near California / Nevada State line - Primm Nevada


Vegas Teacher
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all!

We were driving home from L.A. yesterday and making good time until we were coming down the mountain at the state line at the California Nevada state line. For us to go approximately 5 miles it took over 2 hours. People were driving crazy the were driving over on the shoulder to get around traffic. I had to laugh, two cars in front of me was a person in a Ram 3500 with about a 300 foot goose neck, flatbed. Every time somebody would try to get around they would pull out onto the should and make them drive off of the shoulder onto the soft pack dirt. It was the only entertainment my wife and I had but it sure was funny. One person blew out a tire, one just got stuck I just laughed. The Mini Van in front of me would get right up behind the trailer and I would get right up behind the mini van. If they would have just stayed where they were, everybody would have gotten around it faster.

Anyway from the clips I saw on the news it looked like the trailer caught on fire at the very back end. It looked like the drive was able to get the semi off of the trailer and pull forward. I would love for some of the experts out there to take a look at the footage and see what there opinion was. I thought maybe it was a novice driver coming down the grade you drop from about 8000 feet to about 3000 feet over a 10 mile stretch. I was thinking maybe the brakes heated up or locked and caught on fire starting a fire in the trailer.

Interested in reading your thoughts on this matter!

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would lean toward a wheel seal leaking, and the hot brakes catching the grease on fire. I can't imagine the brakes, alone and unnoticed, getting hot enough. Could have been a bearing failure, a single brake dragging...things that might have been noticeable on a flat surface requiring the truck to overcome the drag but not noticed on that downhill grade??? But then that is why they invented downshifting.

Edited by Big5er
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Ram 3500 with about a 300 foot goose neck

That is one hell of a Dodge

27 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

We're not grading you teach👍

Oh come on. Why not? Remember all those times, sitting in class when you wanted to say "Uh, Teacher, that's not right." but you didn't? Well, now's your chance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Parrformance said:

We're not grading you teach👍

 

18 hours ago, Big5er said:

That is one hell of a Dodge

Oh come on. Why not? Remember all those times, sitting in class when you wanted to say "Uh, Teacher, that's not right." but you didn't? Well, now's your chance.

 

18 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Good point Big5er

You are the "Little Johnnies" I do not call on as Freshmen in my Biology class because I know if you are given a chance to talk you will say something not quite appropriate for class, then I will have to turn around toward the whiteboard / chalk board and laugh, compose myself and have a private conversation with you in the hallway, where I say that was funny but not in class!!!! 😞 

Yep sorry that 300 foot trailer would be hell to back into a parking spot, or turn anywhere. But you guys should have seen the lady driving that big Ram! It was the only thing that got me through the 2.5 hours. I saw a lot of "Freight Shakers" and

"K - Whoppers" plus more white Volvos then I could count. Why is white a popular color for them? I found my new truck color, I am going to have my truck painted. It kind of this aqua / sea green. Put a few metallic flakes, pin striped flames on the hood and doors then have a couple of German Shepherds painted on the side. Man I will be styling in my 780. We are debating on selling our rental property this summer and putting part of the money toward getting the semi bed / pain /  and restoration done completely.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

 


I found my new truck color, I am going to have my truck painted. It kind of this aqua / sea green. Put a few metallic flakes, pin striped flames on the hood and doors then have a couple of German Shepherds painted on the side. Man I will be styling in my 780. We are debating on selling our rental property this summer and putting part of the money toward getting the semi bed / pain /  and restoration done completely.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher 

I don’t know why, but I thought you were in love with the orange color?  Aqua will be nice too, just sayin’.  😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I don’t know why, but I thought you were in love with the orange color?  Aqua will be nice too, just sayin’.  😁

You know when the "D.W." starts to saying things like "wouldn't it be nice if........." funny how things change LOL. Seems like what we like as guys changes. I have been married for almost 18 years now (July 26, at 2:30 p.m.) but I still remember the week I moved all of my stuff from my apartment I had here in Vegas into her 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. It was crazy, I took all of my stuff in the front door and I kept seeing it go out the back door before I even got it all organized. She had bought the house 3 years before I ever met her but wow, was it a rude awakening for me. The same stuff at my apartment looked great but now way was it showing up in her living space? ;-( 

Later,

Cory O

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

You know when the "D.W." starts to saying things like "wouldn't it be nice if........." funny how things change LOL. Seems like what we like as guys changes. I have been married for almost 18 years now (July 26, at 2:30 p.m.) but I still remember the week I moved all of my stuff from my apartment I had here in Vegas into her 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms. It was crazy, I took all of my stuff in the front door and I kept seeing it go out the back door before I even got it all organized. She had bought the house 3 years before I ever met her but wow, was it a rude awakening for me. The same stuff at my apartment looked great but now way was it showing up in her living space? ;-( 

Later,

Cory O

Yeah I get that.  I still don’t know what happened to my wine bottles with the melted candles.  Lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

We are debating on selling our rental property this summer and putting part of the money toward getting the semi bed / pain /  and restoration done completely.

Dont forget to set enough aside to pay the taxes if applicable.    That has been a painful lesson for me to learn some years ago.  DONT ask me how I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I guess "Uncle Sam" gets his fair share too

And they attempt to get ALOT more even if they make an error.  I recently got a government letter showing that I have a credit in a tax account.  The math calls out a penalty and interest that I have to pay, based on they OWING ME $$.  Get that, they owe me money and they want me to pay penalty and interest because I did not pay exact amount owed.

This is becoming a pretty significant climate we have here.  Advise given to me was that I should just pay it because it is a small amount and its the government.  OK-so what happened to for the people and by the people.  In this case, doesnt appear that is true.

Document everything and keep copies of all correspondence and conversations.  You never know if you will need it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

 

 

You are the "Little Johnnies" I do not call on as Freshmen in my Biology class because I know if you are given a chance to talk you will say something not quite appropriate for class, then I will have to turn around toward the whiteboard / chalk board and laugh, compose myself and have a private conversation with you in the hallway, where I say that was funny but not in class!!!! 😞 

 

Yup, that was me 🤣  You didn't expect anything else from me did you Cory?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, rpsinc said:

And they attempt to get ALOT more even if they make an error.  I recently got a government letter showing that I have a credit in a tax account.  The math calls out a penalty and interest that I have to pay, based on they OWING ME $$.  Get that, they owe me money and they want me to pay penalty and interest because I did not pay exact amount owed.

This is becoming a pretty significant climate we have here.  Advise given to me was that I should just pay it because it is a small amount and its the government.  OK-so what happened to for the people and by the people.  In this case, doesnt appear that is true.

Document everything and keep copies of all correspondence and conversations.  You never know if you will need it.

Excellent Advice my friend. I hope someday we meet and get to have a beer together!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Absolutely!

I am looking for a place to get some good "Mud Bugs" here in Vegas. How do they taste compared to shrimp?

 

Drive on down here to Texas and I'll take you to places where you can taste both, side by side and fresh. Not frozen and flown to Nevada. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RV Cable Grip

RV Cable Grip

All the water you need...No matter where you go

Country Thunder Iowa

Nomad Internet

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

RV Air.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...