Full Timing and getting ready for surgery

DavidCD, in case I missed it how is this going to affect your sleeping situation? 

The mention of clothing seems so simple but so relevant.

Lots of good info here.   One issue I have had for a long time even without the current situation is cutting toenails and foot care.  Being a tough Marine (once upon a time) I haven't been able to make myself go to a nail salon.  (I knew I needed a wife for something)

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

One issue I have had for a long time even without the current situation is cutting toenails and foot care.  Being a tough Marine (once upon a time) I haven't been able to make myself go to a nail salon. 

You don't have to go to a 'salon'.  Podiatrists cut nails.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

You can call a podiatrist to check, but for most elderly people who have toenails that are extra thick or hard to cut, Medicare pays for cutting by a podiatrist every six weeks. 

Also, did I mention that the no rinse body wash needs to be diluted?  The hospital might give you one, but you should get a grabber or two.  They are very handy.  They also have these things for putting socks on. 

29 minutes ago, Solo18 said:

You can call a podiatrist to check, but for most elderly people who have toenails that are extra thick or hard to cut, Medicare pays for cutting by a podiatrist every six weeks. 

Also, did I mention that the no rinse body wash needs to be diluted?  The hospital might give you one, but you should get a grabber or two.  They are very handy.  They also have these things for putting socks on. 

While i was recovering I wore sandals with Velcro closures. I could use my grabber to close the tabs. The first sock thing they gave me didn't work well so I asked for one with a Velcro dot like they'd taught me with and it worked MUCH better.

Again, my surgery was knees not neck so I can image having trouble seeing the sandals I was try to get on. Now I would wear Crocs which you just slip into without needing to see them at all.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Does it cost an arm and a leg?  Is any of it covered by Medicare or co-insurance if you know.  I don't even have a clue what it would cost in a salon.

Yes, our podiatry appts. are covered. We have Medicare and a supplement.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

Is any of it covered by Medicare or co-insurance if you know. 

From Medicare.org

Your Medicare Part B insurance covers toenail clipping if your health care provider certifies that it would be harmful to your health if it is not done by a podiatrist or other medical professional.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

While i was recovering I wore sandals with Velcro closures. I could use my grabber to close the tabs. The first sock thing they gave me didn't work well so I asked for one with a Velcro dot like they'd taught me with and it worked MUCH better.

Again, my surgery was knees not neck so I can image having trouble seeing the sandals I was try to get on. Now I would wear Crocs which you just slip into without needing to see them at all.

Linda

I won't know the extent of surgery that will be done until at least my 1st consultation with the surgeon next week - but, even minimally invasive neck surgery procedures will require wearing a neck brace of one type or another for at least 3-4  weeks (usually, more).  That being said, I doubt that I'll be able to focus on anything below the level of my shoulders within 10 feet - I'm thinking I'll probably be making use of small hand mirrors to see what's going on down there.

Sandals is a good idea;  we're down here in Texas and flip flops are the usual foot wear around the RV park during the summer - I might pick up and extra pair to have in reserve.

I'm looking for cheap shower caddies and wire shelves to install at eye height in various strategic spots in the trailer so I'll be able to access frequently used items.

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

I did that during recovery and wound up with a toenail fungus.

I have heard of that and somethings worse very rarely. It must be pretty rare considering how many people do it. I have heard it is good to furnish your own tools, too.  I am going to look into the podiatrist thing first.

I know of 3 people that had that surgery and didn't need to wear a neck brace.  So maybe you will be spared.  All needed pain meds for about a week after.  One had bone spurs so bad she couldn't walk or even feel much below her ribs.  They used cadaver bone to rebuild c4-c6.  A PT had her walking the day after surgery.  She used pillows to keep her head elevated some in bed for a few days.  There are stairs to get into their home and she must have been able to make that when she came home.  Best wishes and a speedy recovery

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 4/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, Randyretired said:

I know of 3 people that had that surgery and didn't need to wear a neck brace.  So maybe you will be spared.  All needed pain meds for about a week after.  One had bone spurs so bad she couldn't walk or even feel much below her ribs.  They used cadaver bone to rebuild c4-c6.  A PT had her walking the day after surgery.  She used pillows to keep her head elevated some in bed for a few days.  There are stairs to get into their home and she must have been able to make that when she came home.  Best wishes and a speedy recovery

I hope they can do this without a lot of hardware - however; many of the online descriptions and videos show bone shims and metal plates installed on each vertebra pair and if there's a deformed spinal angle (kyphosis) they install what  looks like a pair of leaf springs to correct the alignment.   Yikes!    I'll find out when I see the doc next week ....

Thanks for the feedback.

30 minutes ago, DavidCD said:

I hope they can do this without a lot of hardware - however; many of the online descriptions and videos show bone shims and metal plates installed on each vertebra pair and if there's a deformed spinal angle (kyphosis) they install what  looks like a pair of leaf springs to correct the alignment.   Yikes!    I'll find out when I see the doc next week ....

Thanks for the feedback.

The surgeries I have seen (small sample) included hardware but it was done in such a way that the neck was stabilized following surgery.  Each of these had some range of motion reduced but that is all.  No more pain or danger of more serious problems. One was a police officer and he was concerned about doing his job.  He was worried about his shooting qualification.  He recovered and could shoot or stand his ground without a problem. He wasn't restricted at all!  Of the 3 people I know each has recovered and the only problem is some rather minor limited range of motion.  The one woman was in terrible pain and paralyzed from her ribs down but walking the day after surgery.  That's really impressive!  I am thinking about you and wish you a similar recovery.  Good luck and let us know how it went.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I had L3-L4 stabilized.  Had lost motor control of my right leg due to the sciatic nerve being crushed.  The day of the surgery I was wheelchaired in....3 days later I walked out.  PT had me up 12 hours after surgery, on a stationary bike the next day, and home after that.  

Take the meds religiously, don't be a hero and try to go with out the meds.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

X2. Taking the meds actually speeds recovery because they let you do the exercises required to recover.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

12 hours ago, Randyretired said:

The surgeries I have seen (small sample) included hardware but it was done in such a way that the neck was stabilized following surgery.  Each of these had some range of motion reduced but that is all.  No more pain or danger of more serious problems. One was a police officer and he was concerned about doing his job.  He was worried about his shooting qualification.  He recovered and could shoot or stand his ground without a problem. He wasn't restricted at all!  Of the 3 people I know each has recovered and the only problem is some rather minor limited range of motion.  The one woman was in terrible pain and paralyzed from her ribs down but walking the day after surgery.  That's really impressive!  I am thinking about you and wish you a similar recovery.  Good luck and let us know how it went.

12 hours ago, Randyretired said:

One more note each of these surgeries was 10 years or more ago.  I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow for lower back pain. So we will see where that goes.

10 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I had L3-L4 stabilized.  Had lost motor control of my right leg due to the sciatic nerve being crushed.  The day of the surgery I was wheelchaired in....3 days later I walked out.  PT had me up 12 hours after surgery, on a stationary bike the next day, and home after that.  

These recovery stories are really remarkable and I have seen several recent videos about minimally invasive surgical (MIS) techniques to remove the constriction and compression of the cervical nerves.   The advances in the understanding of spinal nerves and development of these modern procedures is reassuring.  

Randy : I hope your MRI results prove to be useful and lead to a quick remedy.