Propane Alarm going off in Casita.

I owned this Casita for about three years now and am totally fed up with the propane alarm.  I am about to remove it.

However, before doing that I decided to get a couple of items to test for propane leaks.

This is the first one:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-Electronic-Gas-Leak-Detector-11-810-001/301876827

Runs on two AA batteries and seems to work.  Picked up leaks around the propane hose and turning on a burner and not lighting it got the unit to quickly show propane.

The second one is:  https://www.amazon.com/Techamor-Methane-Propane-Combustible-Detector/dp/B089K9N3YH/ref=asc_df_B089K9N3YH/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459533584708&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14361341121068911619&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033619&hvtargid=pla-1007881374477&psc=1

It is 120 Volt.

So all are running and everything including the "fed-up propane detector" are quiet and the digital detector is showing ZERO.  

Has anybody used these products??  

Any advice on dealing with the "fed-up propane detector"?

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I just replaced the propane detector in our RV and I am frankly surprised that it lasted as long as it did before "chirping" that it was dying. 

I decided to go with a 12v replacement that I got online and NOT the Atwood for an exact replacement. I considered the 120v unit that you linked to, but after "Snowmageddon '21" here in Texas where we were using more propane for both cooking and heating since we were without power, a 120v detector would have been useless. 

For what it is worth, this is what I bought https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBQ348W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Any chance you have a dog that likes to sit near the detector?

If that's not the cause, then maybe it is just time to replace it...they have a life-span of around 5 years...maybe your 3 years plus whatever time before you owned it has passed the 5 year mark.

Nothing to see here. 

51 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

For what it is worth, this is what I bought

I replaced ours with that same one a few years ago and it is still working. I test mine with a butane lighter once or twice each season, just to make sure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Having owned a ton of RV's over 50 years Ive had to replace them when they started chirping,,,,,,,,,when they were approaching 7 or so years old (or per manufacturers recommendations) even if still "working"  and always chose the 12 Volt models as we dry camp so often and didn't want to mess with any Inverter or small battery power. I don't like to be without one for safety reasons.

John T   Live from Zolfo Springs Florida 

4 hours ago, podwerkz said:

Any chance you have a dog that likes to sit near the detector?

If that's not the cause, then maybe it is just time to replace it...they have a life-span of around 5 years...maybe your 3 years plus whatever time before you owned it has passed the 5 year mark.

Had dog.  Dog died, detector continued going off.

I thought it was the hot water heater, but today nothing on all THREE sensors with the hot water heater running.

The sensor has done this from day one.  I think the issue is that the Casita is so small.  So everything reacts quickly. 

It was a sobering experience to watch a digital CO2 meter run while I cooked dinner with the entire unit CLOSED UP.  So I was not ready to dismiss the propane detector as "faulty".

I do sleep with the window cracked no matter the weather in the unit.  The propane detector goes off anyway in the middle of the night!! 

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Off-gassing lead-acid batteries will trigger the detector too. As the verbiage in that Amazon add stated, it detects combustible gas( I add-virtually all of them). That is why the Home Depot add states it is a combustible gas detector instead of saying propane detector.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Off-gassing lead-acid batteries will trigger the detector too. As the verbiage in that Amazon add stated, it detects combustible gas( I add-virtually all of them). That is why the Home Depot add states it is a combustible gas detector instead of saying propane detector.

AGM batteries in Casita.  Do they off-gass??

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

8 hours ago, Vladimir said:

AGM batteries in Casita.  Do they off-gass??

NOT NORMALLY, However, the ones I'm familiar with are "valve regulated" with a pressure relief valve that can open and release hydrogen if its perhaps being charged too quickly... THEY STILL NEED VENTED for safety and heat dissipation even if they aren't as hazardous as flooded lead acid.

NO WARRANTY that's my opinion

John T    

Thanks for giving the complete accurate answer John. I was busy with rehab and getting blood tests most of the day. I'm hoping I can get healthy enough for gall bladder surgery soon.

AGM batteries must have some method of relieving internal pressure or become a bomb if shorted internally.

I"m waiting on more information about Silicone Dioxide batteries instead of Lithium when my house batteries require replacement.  Another mfgr: https://www.gridtential.com/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Thanks for giving the complete accurate answer John. I was busy with rehab and getting blood tests most of the day. I'm hoping I can get healthy enough for gall bladder surgery soon.

You're welcome Neighbor. Take care of yourself and be ready to "rock n roll" soon

John T   

I have had to replace 2 detectors.  The first lasted about 7 years.  Then second only lasted a couple of years.  I did not get chirping.  I had full bore false alarms.  The first occurred in the middle of the night.  I can attest that you will wake up when it goes off!