Vnl Cab Airbag

bigredhdt

When I replaced our cab air bags, I recall the top of the bag had a threaded stud that screwed into a nut welded inside a channel or rectangular tube. On one side, the welded nut released, what a hassle. Think I hacksawed the old bag off  

I ended up welding a nut to a small plate that fit within the channel which secured the nut from rotating. There was a slot/opening in the channel a few inches from the attachment point and I was able to slide the nut in using a wire or some such to guide it into position. Not much fun but it’s been 5+ years and still holding well.

Good luck. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Fortunately my top nut stayed attached so I did not have your problem. Like Jim said you will probably have to saw off the existing air bag. When you are ready to start be sure to get the cab lifted and propped up as much as possible to give you room to work. Use a razor knife and cut around the rubber of the bag. I found several U tubes showing this. Once the rubber is gone you can get to the internals and cut it off. It has been awhile since I did it but if the nut is broke loose I'm assuming there is just a hole through the bottom of the channel. I would try welding and new nut to a piece of metal that would slide into the channel from the back. The metal would not need to be welded in place because it would not spin inside the channel. The hard part may be lining up the nut to the new bag bolt but then you should just be able to spin the bag into the nut and continue the rest of the installation as normal.

Hope this helps and good luck. Trying to help prevent cutting into the floor. This could get to be a real PIA.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Multiple YouTubes on this.  Can’t get them to copy.  The one by Parrformance is a gentleman on this forum.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I wrote up a long "How To" replace the whole assembly (frame, shocks, air bags and leveling valve).  It is in Word with a pdf of the assembly.  I think it got published in the HHRG but I don't seem to be able to find it.  The file is too big to post here.  If anyone wants it, send me a PM with your email address.

I, too, had one of the top nuts pull loose from the chassis. I cut the air bag off, then the bolt, and pushed the nut out and removed it.  I welded a new nut to a piece of 1/4 inch steel bar (with a hole, of course) and slide it back into the cab stringers.  Better than new, I think.

On edit:  I found it.  It is in the HHRG. Click on "Whats New" and you will find a lot of files besides mine.   It does not have the pdf of the parts assembly.

Chet

Edited by NeverEasy

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using a hole saw and cutting a hole in the floor.  I cut the first airbag out and found the measurement and then cut a hole in the floor above the other airbag since the nut on that side broke as well.  I was able to drill out the stud instead of cutting through the airbag aluminum ring on top.  Now it will be easy to change them next time.  

20210326_223200.jpg