Fry's Electronics shutting down all 30 stores in 9 states

They are shutting down immediately.  I always enjoyed shopping at their stores in California and Oregon.  Maybe another victim of C virus according to some.  RIP.  Here is the proof you are always demanding when I easily found this on Google news just now.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/frys-electronics-is-no-more-and-all-30-stores-will-soon-close/

I don't think that Fry's Electronics going out of business was all that sudden. It was more like slow death on a ventilator and someone finally decided to pull the plug.

Fry's was a privately owned corporation and the owners decided to take what money they could and get out. The internet and other businesses that reacted faster and better to the internet (Best Buy for one) killed Fry's.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

They have been going downhill for many years.   I quit going when I found lots of bare shelves and old merchandise.

I remember how excited all my tech friends were when they opened a store in Renton WA, a Seattle suburb,, since the closest store was just south of Portland OR.  When in Arizona I would go to the Tempe store a couple times a winter.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

It has been several years since I was in their Sacramento store and they were fully stocked and bustling with customers just like Portland.  Many RVers on this and other RV forums constantly praised Frys then and bragged about their purchases from there and reason I started shopping there. The Good old days were great for me but not so much for others. Cheers

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Never heard of them but it's sad just how many business are shutting down, killed by lack of shoppers do to the virus and/or the ease of ordering from your lounger (internet).  I prefer buying, albeit a couple more pennies higher, from a mom/pop store I can examine the product in hand first.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

I just bought groceries at Frys grocery store in Serria Vista AZ this morning. A completely different company, lol lol lol. 

Well, yes and no. Fry's grocery was owned by the father of the owners of Fry's electronics. He sold out to Kroger and the kids had no interest in groceries but did in electronics. If you take a look the emblem for Fry's Groceries and Fry's Electronics you will notice they are very similar.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Fry's Electronics has been on life support for several years.  There were several reports of the brothers draining capital from the company and at least one multi-million dollar embezzlement case.  A few years back (well before Covid) Fry's told their suppliers they were going to a consignment business plan, where instead of paying up front for merchandise they would only pay when the products actually sold.  Many suppliers refused to go along and simply stopped shipping product, thus the empty shelves as existing stock drew down.

For those looking forward to a going out of business sale, forget about it.  Fry's is simply packing up the merchandise they haven't yet paid for and is sending it back to the suppliers.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I must say that even though I have been in both Fry's Electronics stores in the D/FW area multiple times, I really haven't purchased much from them. In their heyday they even stocked appliances and early on had employees who knew answers to most questions but over time it got to where they were a major source of misinformation. As a result, my visits became infrequent and my purchases from them nearly stopped. If you have a Micro Center store in your area, I have found them to be a much better source for most things. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI