Registering 5th wheel in a different county

Billnsue76

We have just purchased a 5th wheel from an individual and it has a Texas title with an address in Bexar county Texas. We are staying in Medina county and have an address in Livingston (Polk County). Will I be able to register the 5th wheel in Medina county even though my address is in Polk county or will I have to go to Polk county?

Edited by Billnsue76

You will have to register in what ever County is your Domicle. Your Domicle is where you have your drivers license, other vehicles registered, are registered to vote etc. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2016, I brought a truck in Harris ? county, the truck was registered with my Polk county address. When I renewed the plate, I receive and brand new plate because the original was not Polk county issued. Does it make sense to me , no, but is wasn't any hassle on  part.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Make it easy on yourself,  give the folks at the Polk County Assessors office a call and they will tell you which form you need and how to do it.   

Polk County Tax Assessor

416 N. Washington Ave.
Livingston, TX 77351

Phone(936) 327-6801

Fax(936) 327-6885

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 1 month later...

i can not say for texas or any other state but here in ca you can do the paper work and pay the FEES, and TAX in any dmv office. but your home (or mailing) address will be on the title and reg papers.

here the dmv is a state thing, not a county by county deal. pending where the dmv office is located one can be in a line ALL day, or just almost walk up to a window on entering the place. (this communist chinese made flu has everything messed up, far worse than "normal").

or even do it online. from any computer even if you are not in the state. just as long as ca gets its bite of your money all is good.

3 hours ago, packnrat said:

here the dmv is a state thing, not a county by county deal

Here in TX the license plates are a bit of a hybrid. While they are registered by county and the counties had a small "road & bridge" fee of between $10 & $20, there is noting on a license plate to indicate what county it is from and you do not change plates when you move your county of registration. I suspect that most states that designate the county have some type of county tax or fee attached to registration. Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee put the county name on their license plates. In Alabama, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming, a one- or two-digit number representing the county of issue begins a license plate number. Standard-issue Idaho license plate numbers begin with a single-letter or a number-letter code representing the county of issue. 

Although increasingly few states place the full name of the county of registration explicitly on their standard-issue plates but not as part of the plate serial, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee continue the practice.

In Alabama, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming, a one- or two-digit number representing the county of issue begins a license plate number. Standard-issue Idaho license plate numbers begin with a single-letter or a number-letter code representing the county of issue. County codes have been based on historical population figures, the county names in alphabetical order, or some combination thereof.

Only three places in the United States use letters to designate a residence where a vehicle was registered. In Hawaii, the license plates have a unique letter designation based on the island counties that residents purchased or registered the vehicles from; a vehicle with a registration number beginning with H or Z is registered in Hawai‘i County, one beginning with K is registered in Kaua‘i County, one beginning with M or L is registered in Maui County, and one beginning with any other letter (and not containing H, K, L, M, or Z) is registered in the City and County of Honolulu. In the State of Idaho the first one or two characters are used to designate the county of residence/registration. For example all vehicles registered in Ada county start with 1A, vehicles in Twin Falls County start with 2T and vehicles in Valley county start with V (as there is only one county that starts with the letter V). In the US territory of Guam, the license plates use the first two letters that are coded by village of issuance, for example, "TM-1234" refers to a vehicle that was registered by a person who lives the village of Tamuning.

Florida allows its residents to choose either "Sunshine State" or "In God We Trust" slogans instead of their county, and in Miami-Dade County, all plates are issued with one of these slogans due to the targeting for crimes of cars registered there in the early 1990s. Florida also terminated a practice by which plates registered to rented vehicles had the letter Y or Z as their first digit, which also led to targeting of cars for theft due to the ease of replacement and the softer hit on the affected driver. Georgia, as of 2011, allows drivers to choose the slogan "In God We Trust" in place of the county name where the vehicle is registered.

Indiana and Ohio display two-number county codes, while Kansas plates display two-letter county codes, but none of these three is a part of the plate serial and instead are placed in the corner of the plate in a smaller font size. Texas places the county name on the windshield registration sticker, but it likewise is not part of the plate serial.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Here in TX the license plates are a bit of a hybrid. While they are registered by county and the counties had a small "road & bridge" fee of between $10 & $20, there is noting on a license plate to indicate what county it is from and you do not change plates when you move your county of registration.

KIrk, I suggest you look again. The sticker which is in the windshield on a vehicle or on the plate of a trailer does have the county listed. For example: 

generic-registration-sticker.jpg

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

10 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

The sticker which is in the windshield on a vehicle or on the plate of a trailer does have the county listed.

My point exactly. As far as I know, TX is the only state with part of the vehicle registration on the windshield. From experience I also know that you simply change county of registration with an address change to the state and your next renewal will then come from the new county of registration. 

EDIT: With license plates that have the county, one can define your registration county from the license plate. To read the county in TX you must walk to the windshield and read it there.  It just occurred to me that the county sticker for a trailer is on the plate, so the county probably is there also! 

Edited by Kirk W
add to

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

It is on the trailer license plate............    Still consider it a hybrid for motor vehicles.  🤔

2009-texas-travel-trailer-old-license-pl

That is what I said. If someone was stopped by police it is conceivable that they could question why you had not changed registration.

Oh, and Kansas has a county sticker on the plate as well.

1 hour ago, Chalkie said:

Oh, and Kansas has a county sticker on the plate as well.

If you look at the link that I posted, it shows Kansas as well as a bunch of other states county indicator. Since most of my family is in KS, where I grew up, I am well aware of the license there and the sticker there has a 2 letter abbreviation for the county. In Wyoming it is a number stamped into the metal plate that can be used to determine the county. We had a WY plate with 2 on it, being from Laramie county. In KS many of my cousins who still live where I grew up, have MR *Morris Co.)while my sister has SG(Sedgwick Co.) 

In Alabama, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wyoming, a one- or two-digit number representing the county of issue begins a license plate number. Standard-issue Idaho license plate numbers begin with a single-letter or a number-letter code representing the county of issue. County codes have been based on historical population figures, the county names in alphabetical order, or some combination thereof.......

Indiana and Ohio display two-number county codes, while Kansas plates display two-letter county codes, but none of these three is a part of the plate serial and instead are placed in the corner of the plate in a smaller font size. Texas places the county name on the windshield registration sticker, but it likewise is not part of the plate serial.

I guess I missed your point??? 

Like the posting from California, South Carolina allows us to go to any DMV to get our plates and we always use the one in the next county over as it is less crowded and the people working there are friendlier! 

The only problem is, we have to pay our property taxes on the vehicles first in the county that we reside in so that means we have to go to either the courthouse or mail it in for renewals. Initial plates require two trips then, Courthouse first, then the DMV. For yearly stickers, they will give them to you at the courthouse when you pay your next years taxes or send them by mail  if you do it online.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, Kirk W said:

If you look at the link that I posted, it shows Kansas as well as a bunch of other states county indicator.

Yep, you're right. I failed to read your full link and only read the bit you quoted which did not include Kansas. My bad. 

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

did not include Kansas.

It happens to us all at times. No big deal at all. It is interesting to look at the different license plates and compare them. Many states now have more than one but the standard ones can be interesting.