Cruise Ship Ban Impacts Alaska

Ropeshaft

Canada extended a ban on cruise ships through all of 2021.  The ban has a significant impact on Alaska tourism since most foreign registry cruise ships sailing from the lower 48 are required to stop in Canada before proceeding to Alaska.  One source states that of the 2.2 million summer visitors to Alaska in 2019, 60% arrived by cruise ship.  I do have sympathy for the Alaskan tourism industry but the silver lining is it may mean smaller crowds at the attractions when we visit in June.  We love Alaska and this will be our 9th visit to the State.  This will be our 3rd time flying to Anchorage and renting a class C motorhome for our touring.

I would never get on one of those death traps and it have nothing to do with the Chinese plague.  They are inherently unstable and sooner or later there will be a major disaster of one capsizing. Plus they are disease traps as well. They do no seem to be able to enforce sanitary laws on them.

2 minutes ago, noteven said:

Ropeshaft - why are Alaska bound cruise ships required to stop at a Canadian port? 

I am not Ropeshaft, but most cruise ships are not registered in the US and because of US law they need to stop at a foreign port during the cruise.  For an Alaskan cruise there is only one choice, Canada. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I remember our first RV rental trip to Alaska in 2005.  One of our excursions was a drive from Anchorage to Haines.  We set up camp in Haines and boarded the ferry for a day trip to Skagway.  We enjoyed a nice peaceful day in Skagway including the famous narrow-gauge railroad ride.  As we were boarding the ferry for our return to Haines a cruise ship docked.  4,000 passengers got off the ship and flocked into Skagway.  I know the local businesses live for that but we were so happy we missed the crowds for our day visit.

I have no doubt that Alaska isn't the only place negatively impacted by the lack of cruise ship activity, even in the US. I suspect that it has suffered the most of US ports. While we have really enjoyed our 3 cruise experiences, we would never consider another at this time, but it is interesting to see what experts have to say about them.  Bill is correct about the reason most Alaska cruises stop in a Canadian port, under the The Passenger Vessel Services Act.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As an infectious disease expert said in the news in past year that cruise ships were floating petrie  dishes and I understand there is no vaccination against Nora virus.  Before traveling to Acapulco, Mexico by car  in 1965 my family doctor gave me a shot for protection against something but I got food poisoning off the peanuts at the Acapulco Hilton pool bar.  I did have some fun there before I went down for the count and layed up for a week with beautiful view of the bay.  No cruise ships in those days. 😃