Looking to get an HDT and a toy hauler, any tips appreciated.

Dan Hoeger

We live near Phoenix and I'm able to work 100% remote now so we are thinking of doing full(part)-time RV just during the hot summer months.

I would want to bring my 2013 HD Ultra Classic with and was thinking either pulling a trailer to hold it behind a class A or getting a cycle lift for the back of a Class A.

but looking at prices of the used Class A's I would like to consider an HDT and a 5th Wheel Toy hauler.

I like the layout for the 5th Wheel toy haulers much better than the Class A's and I thought I would be able to setup my "Office" in the garage area when we are parked and the bike is unloaded.  I also like how some people have put the smart cars on the back of the trucks that would be nice for the rainy days (I don't mind riding the bike in the rain but my wife doesn't)

could use some tips for finding the right HDT and a place to get the bed conversion done near Phoenix or if someone has a setup like this for sale already would be interested.

I'm new to this forum and don't currently own an RV.  

20 years ago I used to own a 30' keystone travel trailer that I pulled with a 8.0L 2500 suburban.

I have never driven an HDT but have pulled a lot of gooseneck trailers with heavy equipment on them with 1-ton PU and have driven some larger box trucks.

Toy hauler and HDT are probably your best bet.  I would think long and hard about a m/c lift on the back of a class A.  I have one on my class A but seldom use due to overloading of the rear axle.  Loading that 900 pound bike and the weight of the carrier itself (200+ pounds) several feet from the rear axle will offload the front axle significantly.  My '15 Street Glide weighed 920 pounds and it (with the carrier) added nearly 2000 pounds the rear axle.  There are formulas available to calculate how much you will add.  Have not had my '19 on the carrier yet.  Bike only gets loaded for one local trip a year of about 300 miles RT on 55mph roads.

If I had it to do over it would be HDT and fiver.

RIDE ON!!!

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Check the for sale adds on the forum as sometimes the HDTs are posted there. There is also a few facebook groups for the HDT's if you are on facebook.

The best place to learn about these is at a HDT Rally. Next one is in April in TN, June for the Rally in Idaho and the National rally is in Oct in Kansas. 

We have a toyhauler that we had built in 2019 near you in Apache Junction at Dune Sport (sales office is in Mesa), you may want to do a tour of their factory. They build mainly to order so it helps if you have some RV experience already. Contact me by PM if you want more info.

We also put a smart car on the back of the HDT.

The best place to get an HDT converted if you do not know what you are doing is RVH Lifestyles in Kansas.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

thanks everyone for the information I went and looked at this truck today 2016 FREIGHTLINER CASCADIA 125 For Sale In PHOENIX, Arizona | TruckPaper.com and thought it would work for me but they had just got another one in that was much nicer the same year but they haven't priced it yet.  I will check out Dune Sport and RVH Lifestyles.

Thanks,

Dan

I have owned two and used 3 toy haulers. My current one is the  only one that I feel will last as along as I want it to. 

My brother bought a "Winners Circle" in the early 2000's and used it for a bit the first summer. I "Borrowed/rented" it for a 3 month winter in South Florida to see if I could survive full time in a home on wheels.  By the next Fall, I had my first Toy hauler a 2007 Weekend Warrior Full Throttle. 

I looked at almost every Toyhauler available for many many months and many many locations. I made a lowball offer in a Weekend Warrior that had a larger garage and needed some repairs and the seller got mad and wouldn't negotiate at all after that. I liked a couple of models but their prices didn't match my budget. In the end I wound up spending a lot more money, I guess if I would have spent more at the start it might have worked out better or a lot worse. 

Dave and I both have custom built  Toyhaulers and are able to fit our cars in the garages. I also carry a R1200RT in a garage on the truck. 

Most of the off the lot  Toyhaulers are not made for full time use, why that makes a difference I'm not sure. My thought process is if you are using it it should last longer because you will see what needs worked on sooner than if it's sitting unused in a lot. Of course unused is not moving and usually all closed up so moving parts are not worn out unless you use it every weekend. 

My brother passed away after having the trailer for just a few years and not much use. They were able to just pay off the loan with the proceeds of the sale. It has disappeared from the second owners property at my last visit. Who knows where it is now. 

My Weekend Warrior needed a lot of work after 5 years of fulltime use and didn't bring much to the table in trade for my current trailer. I'm sure it's somewhere in Texas now or that's where I heard it went. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I have a 2006 387 Peterbilt that i have been saying for 3 years i was going to put up for sale. If your interested in something like that then email me @ baskmcbride@gmail.com and i will send you pictures and info. on it. The bad thing the truck is located in Florida

Barry & Susie

Jupiter Fl,

2006 Peterbilt 387 ultershift, 435HP

2008 Teton Homes Royal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

i also have a Pete 387 I’m willing to sell since I no longer have my 5th wheel.  It’s a 2004 with 10 speed ultra shift and a CAT C15 engine.  It has a custom air suspended hitch on it and is plated as an RV in Texas. 

if you’re interested drop me a line at paul AT michaud online.com.  And I can give you more details and pictures.  

paul

Hey Dan, welcome!

Wife and I went through a similar path about 7 years ago.  Did a pile of atv'ing and picked up a new toyhauler, we thought it would be perfect.  The thinking was that all the toy's would go in the garage and we'd be good to go.

Toyhauler arrived and the HDT arrived the next week (bought it out of AZ actually).  Anyway, the deck of the HDT was a way better place for the toys and giving up all the living space for the garage was to painful for us.  We swapped the toyhauler for the same sized front living 5th wheel and never looked back.

For us, using the deck on the HDT was a big surprise and it just worked.  We could put 3 atvs (or a pair of atvs and  a side by side) or a smart car on the deck, super flexible.  Our HDT was singled mid, seemed to be a reasonable trade off (deck space vs maneuverability).

If you get an HDT I'd strongly recommend at minimum a 3 pedal auto (2 pedal would be better).  Opens up a lot of future buyers when you decide to sell. 

If you have any other questions or just want to chat feel free to private message me, I'd be glad to share my experiences.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

On 1/28/2021 at 9:39 PM, Dan Hoeger said:

could use some tips for finding the right HDT and a place to get the bed conversion done near Phoenix or if someone has a setup like this for sale already would be interested.

Between truck types, a used HDT is the most cost effective way to go.  A pickup just can’t compare, generally speaking.  In my opinion similarities exist, older trucks have more age related issues with wiring and rubber seals and hoses.  These are easier for you to fix yourself.  Newer trucks can have these too, but less so.  
Lack of pollution control systems on older trucks vs. sometimes glitchy systems on newer trucks which may be difficult to diagnose and fix yourself.  
We have a newer truck with under 450,000 miles and have replaced 2 expensive sensors and had some AC repairs in 4 years.  Not so bad.  Plus we really like our auto shift trans.
You can find an RV hauler already done, and pay that price.  Or buy the basic commercial truck to convert yourself.  Buying the bare truck and having it converted professionally is also an option.
Hope this helps.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg