Park model or metal house.

GlennWest

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I know it has to be sealed. Don't understand why blown in insulation won't work. 

Blown in insulation will work just fine but you need to stop the air from moving through the ceiling.  Just put up plastic sheeting to stop air movement through the ceiling.  Vent the attic with outside vents. That will stop the condensation.   If you look at insulation you can see how air will move through it.  It is like an air filter but when you stop the air it can insulate by trapping air pockets.  Hopefully I did a better job explaining what I was trying to say.  I always use relatively thick plastic and tape the seems.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

So using metal siding and a vapor barrier then blown in will work. The building come with roof vents at roof ridge. Just need to look at metal ceilings. I can do suspended ceiling also.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

So using metal siding and a vapor barrier then blown in will work. The building come with roof vents at roof ridge. Just need to look at metal ceilings. I can do suspended ceiling also.

Yes.  As Dutch said the insulation will settle if you move a lot but you don't intend to do that.  For insulation on our houses we have found insulation contractors can do it nearly as cheap or cheaper than if we do it.  They get volume discounts.   If you have soffits vents be sure to use the little air flow vents to direct the air.  My choice if you have soffits is for ample soffits vents and a continuous ridge vent.  It will cool and vent the attic with good air flow.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Been researching water heaters. Heat pump units use very little power. But they require 100 sq ft space to work. That may be a challenge in a 750 sq ft house. Also can get a 20 gal electric and may get by. Do plan on a full size tub/shower. Your thoughts on this. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our NY family cottage is just 670 sq ft, and has a 6 gallon electric water heater under the kitchen sink and a 10 gallon heater under the bathroom sink. The 10 gallon handles showers and the front loader washer just fine. Having the two heaters right at the sinks means nearly instant hot water at the faucets. I went with two smaller point of use heaters because the bathroom and kitchen are at opposite ends of the cottage. The instant hot water was a bonus...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

22 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Our NY family cottage is just 670 sq ft, and has a 6 gallon electric water heater under the kitchen sink and a 10 gallon heater under the bathroom sink. The 10 gallon handles showers and the front loader washer just fine. Having the two heaters right at the sinks means nearly instant hot water at the faucets. I went with two smaller point of use heaters because the bathroom and kitchen are at opposite ends of the cottage. The instant hot water was a bonus...

I can see where that be fine for a couple. What about a tub though. 10 gal would not fill it up. I am thinking later years where a tub is beneficial.

8 minutes ago, jimnlin said:

Regarding heat pumps...heat pump in our Dometic AC heats just fine in approx 400 sq ft trailer, not sure why it would not work in your application

Misread my post heat pump hot water heater. Not ac

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I can see where that be fine for a couple. What about a tub though. 10 gal would not fill it up. I am thinking later years where a tub is beneficial.

The older one gets the less practical a tub becomes. I underwent a safety/fall inspection for our house 3 weeks ago. The inspector said a tub was not safe for a person my age in poor health {78}, nor was all the stairs in my house.

She recommended walk-in showers and wheelchair runways over the stairs into my house, and a chair-lift for the basement stairs.

A lot she knows; I've been climbing the basement stairs every day since I came home from a month in the hospital. I did buy a stool for inside the walk-in showers, I can't stand up long enough to take a shower yet.

I am going to replace the combo tub/shower in our MH with a walk-in shower.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

We don't have a tub at the cottage, but we did at our previous S&B home. I installed a 20 gallon water heater under the bathroom sink there when I built it that also was better suited for the top loader washer we had then. I also used a 10 gallon heater under kitchen sink there to accommodate the dishwasher.

Dutch

A 20 and a 10 shouldn't be a large power draw. Lest I don't think so. Trying to keep that down as much as possible. That what had me researching heat pump water heaters. Oh, DW says no tub. Shower with stool. 

Edited by GlennWest

39 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

A 20 and a 10 shouldn't be a large power draw. Lest I don't think so. Trying to keep that down as much as possible. That what had me researching heat pump water heaters. Oh, DW says no tub. Shower with stool. 

The 10 gallon Rheem heater at our cottage draws 1650 watts on a 120 Volt circuit. We turn it off when no one is there, but it only takes about 25-30 minutes to heat back up.

Dutch

Do you have a link to the low cost heat pump water heater you're interested in? I fully expect a heat pump to use less power than an equivalent output electric heating element.

Dutch

17 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

typo. Getting a heat pump dryer also but wasn't asking about it.

Ok, but I didn't see any low cost heat pump water heaters on Lowes site. Please link to the one you're considering?

Dutch