Park model or metal house.

GlennWest

9 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Ok, but I didn't see any low cost heat pump water heaters on Lowes site. Please link to the one you're considering?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-Signature-Premier-50-Gallon-Tall-10-year-Limited-4500-Watt-Double-Element-Electric-Water-Heater-with-Hybrid-Heat-Pump/1000213655

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Ok, I'm confused... You said the heat pump you're considering was a third the price of the Rheem 10 gallon straight electric heater, but the unit you linked is about four times the price of the Rheem. I have an application where a low cost heat pump water heater might work well, but that's sure not what that one is. 

You also mentioned the heat pump unit requires 100 sq ft, which I don't understand when the linked unit is only  22 inches in diameter. Clarify please?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Three times more efficient. Not cheaper. It is 3 times the price of a conventional unit. Home Depot has a 40 gallon one. It requires a 100 sq ft to operate in. For the air area it needs. Basically can't put it under a cabinet for in a closet.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I can see where that be fine for a couple. What about a tub though. 10 gal would not fill it up. I am thinking later years where a tub is beneficial.

I suppose you could get one of those walk-in tubs that have a door but you'd have to upsize your water heater to accommodate that. We only have a shower. We haven't had a tub since 2008 and we never used that one the nine years we lived in that house. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I suppose you could get one of those walk-in tubs that have a door but you'd have to upsize your water heater to accommodate that. We only have a shower. We haven't had a tub since 2008 and we never used that one the nine years we lived in that house. 

Linda

DW says now she don't want a tub either. Shower with a stool to sit on. 

11 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Three times more efficient. Not cheaper. It is 3 times the price of a conventional unit. Home Depot has a 40 gallon one. It requires a 100 sq ft to operate in. For the air area it needs. Basically can't put it under a cabinet for in a closet.

Oh, ok... I mistook your saying "3 times the price also" in reference to the Rheem as being about dollars, not efficiency. My mistake. ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Randyretired said:

We installed a big jetted soaker tub when we built this house 20 years ago.  It has been used 3 times.

Our last house came with one of those, too. Our daughter used it once when she visited.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thoughts on insulation. The metal house will use 6X6 studs/poles with 2X4's running horizontal for metal siding to screw to. I will stud walls out 2X4 for insulation and drywall. There will be a 1 1/2" gap between horizontal runs. My choices are cut up 1 1/2" foam and fill in before fiberglass or use insulation for 6" studs. That insulation would be crushed at horizontal runs and normal between them. What your thoughts or do you know a better way?

I am researching a similar situation.  The builder just recommended stuffing in the insulation and I might do that if I can't find an alternative.  Some are using blown in wall insulation and that looks best but I haven't researched the cost.  Another alternative is spray foam but that is pricey. I intend to talk with some of the insulation contractors for their recommendations before I decide. Usually they can do the job for the same or less than I can buy the materials for it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Closed cell spray foam has an R value of 7 per inch.  If you were to fill the voids the r value would be somewhere over r40.  I also included air sealing when I posted.  That is becoming as important as insulation.  Many feel it is actually more important, to a point.  In our new building I will seal it as tight as I can.  Then add fresh air through a heat recovery system that also uses a hepa filter.  Our walls will be 9.5 inches thick and will have heavy insulation.  It is cold there in the winter.

Randy

Your thoughts on using spray on foam on interior roof. I know need to leave ridge vent open. I intend an acoustic ceiling. But insulating that should lower temps in attic.

If you leave the vents open the insulation will be mostly useless. There are those that advocate closing the attic off to the outside (remove the vents) and venting it to the living area.  Then insulate the roof.  The roof will not sweat that way and there are advantages to keeping all the duct work in a conditioned space.  One needs to be careful as even a small roof leak can cause big problems.  Also the wall insulation would need to connect to the roof insulation to make an insulated envelope.   If the underside of the roof is sprayed the insulation will cover the supports and glue it all together.  This will make for a strong structure but if a panel needs to be replaced you might have to be lucky to get anyone to do it at any cost.  If you spray the walls this problem can be resolved by using a house wrap.  My preference would be to use metal or drywall for the ceiling and adequate insulation blown in.  If you have any ceiling penetrations foam and caulk those to stop air movement before insulating.  On the walls foam and caulk any opening to stop air movement and seal the bugs out.  Finally vent the attic really well to keep it cooler.  With an energy efficient mini split doing a lot of extra insulating is going to have very limited returns.  

Randy

On 1/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, GlennWest said:

We have roughly 3 acres of land. Plenty of room for storage buildings, solar racks, etc. I agree 100% with what you stated. We like our piece of land. Back far from the main road. Great community of people. The police force is great and keeps it clean from drugs and such. I let them put up camera on my property. 

You know Glen, if you own your own land, zoning allows and you are willing to do interior finishing steel shipping containers can make some really nice homes (if done right).  I visited a friend who owns one on Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee year-before-last that was amazing.  They had used two 40' containers side-by-side, and a 24'  sideways on the end (832 sq. ft.), insulated and sheet rock inside, windows and doors cut in, repainted outside.  Nice screen porch and patio.  A very nice setup for a lesser investment - and structurally very sound.

Manufactured (pre-fab) housing has come a long way as well.  My youngest son bought one from a company in North Carolina, the company put in the foundation on his lot then delivered and set the house in place.  He had to provide the septic, water and power to the house.  Beautiful home with no hint of being manufactured.  He saved  thousands over a stick built house and got to move in 10 weeks earlier.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Price of the building 24X30X10 on concrete slab with drains in and full porch on 30' run  Two 4' dual pane gas filled windows and a 36" door for $19K. I don't see if I could save any that way. 

Edited by GlennWest

11 hours ago, RandyA said:

You know Glen, if you own your own land, zoning allows and you are willing to do interior finishing steel shipping containers can make some really nice homes (if done right).  I visited a friend who owns one on Watts Bar Lake in Tennessee year-before-last that was amazing.  They had used two 40' containers side-by-side, and a 24'  sideways on the end (832 sq. ft.), insulated and sheet rock inside, windows and doors cut in, repainted outside.  Nice screen porch and patio.  A very nice setup for a lesser investment - and structurally very sound.

Manufactured (pre-fab) housing has come a long way as well.  My youngest son bought one from a company in North Carolina, the company put in the foundation on his lot then delivered and set the house in place.  He had to provide the septic, water and power to the house.  Beautiful home with no hint of being manufactured.  He saved  thousands over a stick built house and got to move in 10 weeks earlier.

What is the company doing the "PreFab"?

In the 1970's my Uncle, Cousin and I worked for a company called Wausau Homes. They were based out of Wausau, Wisconsin and Ottumwa, Iowa. I can still recognize a Wausau when I see it on the street. The smallest Model could  be put up, roofed and most of the interior cabinets hung in a day. The wiring and finish carpentry was done by the middle of the third day and we were on our way to set the next. 

Floor plans got real creative before I ended my year working for them. They did apartments, and a couple Motels and of course some interesting Lake homes and very large multi dimensional homes too.  Wick Homes were the competition in those days. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.