East Coast Travel in March during Pandemic????

rbertalotto

My wife and I simply need to get the heck out of the house. We want to hook up the travel trailer and head south from Massachusetts. No real destination. North and South Carolina, Georgia and Northern Florida are on the list.
 Any idea on the possibility of finding camping spots along the way. We don't want to be tied down to reservations.
 What is the situation with rest stop overnights. Are Cracker Barrel and Walmart still allowing overnighting?
 Anything else we should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

For some unknown and mysterious reason, there seems to be a sudden change of heart in the lockdown governors. Several have announced that they have to get the economy going again. So maybe things will change by March for the better. I don't think you will have any problems once you get to North Carolina. North of that I don't know.

Vaccines are being given now so Dave and I will be covered before March even starts. I hope that means some places will reopen soon--not sure about March but by summer, I think. Or hope.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We traveled from Florida to Maine in July, and Maine to Florida in October-November.  We went up in 9 days and spent 6+ weeks coming south.  The most restrictions were in the northeast.  The fewest in the south.  NY and CT required us to fill out online forms.  If we had been staying we would have had to quarantine on our CG site.  MA did not permit campers from southern states. VT required us to quarantine on site for 14 days because we had been in hotspots.  Going south VT did not require quarantine because we came directly from Maine with low numbers.  You need to keep track of state restrictions.  CNN has a master list with links to the individual states.  Be sure to use the links to the states through which you are traveling and check before you enter that state.

Safety procedures and precautions by other campers vary from campground to campground.  Some are good.  Some are abysmal.  In PA groups of people were going from campsite to campsite for trick-or-treat and Halloween parties.  We opted for safety as we are both in vulnerable categories.  We masked when needed and isolated.  We did not socialize and bought all of our needs curbside (Walmart) or delivery (Instacart or Amazon). 

RV travel is particularly suited to pandemic travel.  You can practice the level of safety that you feel is necessary.  Everything you need is right with you, or can be obtained without indoor exposure.  There are lots of outdoor activities that you can do - golf, biking, fishing, hunting, hiking.  The only thing i would caution is to look at states' vaccination criteria if you plan to get vaccinated elsewhere.

Regarding reservations, the usual problem in the more southern areas is site availability.  That does not appear to be a problem this year.  With the Canadians gone it appears that most parks here in FL have some spaces available.  The further north you are there should be even more spaces in the fewer CG's that are open.  Open CG's north of MD will likely be rare.  I recommend the Campendium for finding campgrounds.  There are other good apps for that, too. When we traveled Campendium had an option that allowed you to view only the campgrounds that were not closed due to covid.

Stay safe and enjoy the travel.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ