Amazon Kindle lending library to close down in early 2021

I am a HUGE Kindle user but I have never felt a need to "loan" any of the books I have actually paid for beyond my Kindle Unlimited subscription. Fortunately anyone, family or friend, that I know has the where with all to pay for a Kindle Unlimited subscription or a Kindle book. If I am a sampling, I can see why they are eliminating the service.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

If you're looking for a great deal on library e-books, you need to go no further than the Livingston Municipal Library.  A library card/account there gives you access to an enormous online library of books.  Sure, we buy e-books regularly, but we also download library books for free.  The library's consortium uses an app called OneDrive and the lending library behind it is extensive.

14 hours ago, ROUS said:

The library's consortium uses an app called OneDrive and the lending library behind it is extensive.

I think the library probably uses an app called "OverDrive" not OneDrive which is Microsoft's cloud storage. Yes, libraries can be a source for e-books and Overdrive is at the top of the list as a free e-book source.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Just a reminder for those that live in New York State.  The New York City Public Library will give you audio & ebook lending privileges to anyone in the state.  They have a hugh collection of ebooks & audiobooks available on line.  Apply for a NY Public Library card.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I use Nebraska Overdrive Library with the Libby app all for free, I've even downloaded books down in Old Mexico, it just took a library card from our local library. I'm also registered at the Yuma library but I haven't used it yet. 

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

We have cards from our local upstate NY library, the NY Public Library noted above, both with Overdrive support, as well as using various free online libraries and the Kindle freebies. We don't expect to ever run out of reading material... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If your using a Overdrive Library try downloading the Libby app, it works a lot better than the Overdrive app.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

i once down loaded a couple of (paid for) ebooks. i think paper is better. the back lit screens hurt my eyes, even on this puter. can only take so much of it then must close them till the light goes out and only dark is seen.

i love reading, and own enough paper to prove it, gone are the days of the used book stores. i was a reg customer in two or three of them.

We are heavy users of our free public library ebook lending privileges. We use Overdrive to borrow the books in Kindle format. It requires a prime membership, but there has never been any charge. I know that some books in the system are available in other ebook formats. Reading this, I am wondering whether we will still be able to use the kindle reader.

The program that Amazon is dropping is an older 2011 one that has been little used since the Prime Reading program started in 2016. Nothing else will be lost, just the one book a month limited selection borrowing that was included in the old program. The newer Prime Reading program includes thousands more books, magazines, etc., and is NOT being dropped. The public library lending programs are completely separate from either of these programs and will not be affected, nor do they require Prime membership.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system