Water drain valve leaking

hemsteadc

2008  Sportchassis cummins 8.3.

I have 2 air tanks, and both have that needle valve thingy on them you're supposed to push now and then to expel any condensed water inside.  One of them has a slow leak, and I'm not sure how to stop it.  I have crawled underneath and fiddled with it, and I got the leak to become less, but I can't stop it and it allows my rear suspension bags to deflate over a few days.  

The next thing I may try is pushing it open and blowing air back up into it, thinking there's something like a grain of sand stuck on the lip. I hesitate to take it apart as I'm out in the sticks and I don't need any catastrophes.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks

Edited by hemsteadc

Change it. Rubber seal is likely shot. If your rear suspension is going down, you may have another leak you don't know about.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Buy a new one before removing this one or  remove this one and insert a pipe plug until you do find a new one.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Are they standard pipe threads?  I really don't need this thing as it never has any water in it.

And you'll never need it as long as your dryer is working properly.  You do service it occasionally?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

A pipe plug is a temporary patch, the air drain is required. As rickeleio said when the air dryer is functioning as designed very little/no water will be in the tank, If there is water in the tank there is a chance water also found its way into the air brakes, which can be a dangerous and expensive situation.

For semi-tractors, if stopped by DOT, they will pull the cables to the manual air drain fitting for a test. That is how important the manual drain valve is to safety.

The most important item to avoid moisture is the air dryer assembly, including its regular maintenance.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I don't have air brakes.

Here we go again. You still have an air system, that needs care and attention. If you skip over it, you'll end up paying in the future. Either when you have to replace extra parts due to rust, or when sale time comes, and the buyer catches your skipped maintenance.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Entirely friendly. Your air dryer maintenance has been mentioned in the past. It's your choice.

Please e-mail us here.

Example on Amazon for $13.

I only maintain truck air systems with parts "intended for a truck or bus" (sorry I don't know the correct backed up by documentation to prove it term) often found at the truck dealer's parts dept. or a reputable commercial vehicle aftermarket source.  

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

47 minutes ago, noteven said:

only maintain truck air systems with parts "intended for a truck or bus" (sorry I don't know the correct backed up by documentation to prove it term) often found at the truck dealer's parts dept. or a reputable commercial vehicle aftermarket source.  

Crawling under this truck every day is not something I'll ever be doing. I have never found the air dryer, and according to my mfr, there isn't one.  I'll keep looking.

If you do not have air brakes your truck may not have an air dryer.  If it had one you would hear it discharging contaminants when the compressor cycles off.  

If there is no dryer fairly frequent pulling of the drain lanyards when you are doing your pre trip walk around with the engine running is a good habit. 

7 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I don't even have those.  I have to crawl under the truck.

I posted a link for valves with lanyards on Amazon for $13 each.   If I was camped near you we could install them in minutes. 

My son has a saying on his ranch when we are doing something the hard way: "Pa, it's because we enjoy the struggle..." 🤣