Can this sensor be tested?

Brad & Jacolyn

Hi guys,

I have started to get a 'NO DATA' error on the DID and a picture of the rear end and a thermometer. I assume this is the rear end temp. I have crawled under there and can find no broken wires or anything that does not look good. I pulled the plug and reset it on the sensor and I still am getting the error. There is nothing in the diagnostics and no number displayed. I'm making the assumption that the sensor has quit. (in the past this has flashed on and then gone away. Now it keeps coming on and going away every few seconds).

So the question. Is there a way to test the sensor before getting a new one?

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad, you might want to check into the cost of a new one before you spend a whole lot of time trying to determine if the existing one can be tested.  Sure, parts sometimes surprise us, but that's one that might not be all that expensive.  Unlike emissions sensors, a thermal sensor for an axle isn't terribly sophisticated,  very common, and on our older trucks, not proprietary to the OEMs.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Brad, I’m just guessing that the temp sensor is an RTD.  An RTD’s resistance varies somewhat proportional to temperature. The ones I’ve worked with on other systems, were in the 100 ohm range.

Measuring the RTD with a DVM on ohms setting should give a relatively low resistance reading. If you’re feeling particular industrious, you could remove the sensor and measure the varying resistance as you heat it in a pan of water on the stove.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Brad

Check your information display for the rear end temperature readings.  Is it showing a reading for one rear end and two dashes for the other?  Mine has that message every time I start the truck because the front sensor was removed when singled and no fix was ever done to correct the problem.   Maybe your issue is whatever was done to fool the computer to think it is still there.  

Just a thought

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Nigel I am singled and this has not happened in the last 10 years of running.

Jim I could pull it out but with my luck the rear end would have to be drained first. I would hope that the oil would not leak out but I have been surprised before.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

On 10/10/2020 at 1:05 PM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I have started to get a 'NO DATA' error on the DID

This may be a connection right behind the DID.  I did not get the picture of the rear end, just the NO DATA error but most of the gages dropped to zero.  Like yours, this error came and went while driving.   I could tilt the DID forward and wiggle the top//left connector and duplicate the problem.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 10/11/2020 at 5:20 PM, Parrformance said:

Hmmmmmmm . . . who was that genius that said several days ago that it might be so cheap that it's not worth testing?  🤣🤣🤣

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Well I replaced the sensor and I still have the message on the display. I replaced the wires from the sensor for about 3 feet until it went into big bundles of wire. The one wire had 4 splices so I'm hopeful that after we start driving down the road something will reset and all will be well. I know the rear end is full and as long as the engine does not derate I will live with it for now.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Same problem on my 2015 670. Rear pumpkin throwing same error. Replaced the sensor (Volvo Dlr. $28). No change. Played with the wires most of the way up the cab. No change. I just live with the 'check engine' light and escape out of the warning on the dash. 

When I pulled the old sensor, oil did come out. If you put down something to catch it... about a quarter of a cup if you are fast. Think Indiana Jones with the gem swap. 

Not sure where my problem is now. As long as I can just clear the dash warning, I'm good.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Started down the road today and the error went away. Something reset somewhere and all works now. Guess it was the sensor.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"