Where to stay in the south

AndySandy

Hi all, We are going to be volunteering this winter in Florida starting in December. We will have the month of November free before we need to be at our volunteer jobs. We have done all our traveling and living in the western USA, and have never visited the south before. Therefore, I am writing for suggestions for an RV park we should stay in for a month on our way to Florida? I would like to stay at the same RV park to take advantage of a one month rate. I am wanting to spend in the neighborhood of $350 plus electricity and propane for the month. We would love to be in a park that would be near opportunities for exploration an adventures along the lines of the outdoors, hiking, and natural and cultural history. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! Andy & Sandy

It might be useful to give the general area you will be volunteering ,  about where you are, and your likely route to your volunteer  position. Just in general, it doesn't have to be absolutely specific. Maybe give us some thought on possible things you would like to see on your route.

We are going to be volunteering in southern Florida, but that is not where I am looking to stay in November. Rather, we want to stay somewhere along the way, and when I say along the way, we mean anywhere from Louisiana to the Carolinas. We are willing to go anywhere that sounds fun and interesting, and I does not have to be on the shortest route. Thanks!

Escapee's Rainbow Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama is a good place. You can easily drive to the Gulf Coast for outings. There's a Lambert's in Foley with it's throwed rolls. And an Urgent Care center that treated me well when I needed them. It's close enough to Mobile to tour things there. And Big Daddy's Grill, near Fairhope, is worth a stop.

https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2009/04/going-out/ Big Daddy's is just over half way down that blog entry. If you go to the bottom of that one and click on "20 miles" you will get info on one of our visits to Lambert's.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I doubt you'll find any FHU rv park in FL for $350/month after Sept.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I doubt you'll find any FHU rv park in FL for $350/month after Sept.

He's not looking at Florida but instead, Louisiana to the Carolinas.

I agree with Sandsys..... the Escapees Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama would be perfect.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I too would put Rainbow Plantation at the top of the list, especially if you are a member of Escapees. You may also want to take a close look around Pensacola, Fl in campground reviews as there is much to do in that area.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Gulf Shores State Park in Gulf Shores Alabama will be more $ than you indicate you want to pay, but would be my top choice. The bike trails and beach are fantastic. Could day trip easily there from Rainbow Plantation. It's about a 30 minute drive. Admission for the day is $1 per car.

10 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

He's not looking at Florida but instead, Louisiana to the Carolinas.

I agree with Sandsys..... the Escapees Plantation in Summerdale, Alabama would be perfect.

$380/month for SKP, $415/month for non-member.  Good price for the area.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I drove through Southwind a couple of years ago. It looked very decent, a residential park in a very rural area. It's not near anything; the nearest supermarkets etc are in Foley. No idea about cell service.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com