The oldest road in the U.S.A.

Ray,IN

7 hours ago, bigjim said:

wonder about any viking or norsmen roads ?????

That would be between Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers. Not long enough.. lol lol lol

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Those, if any would be found in what is now the Canadian maritimes. They did not travel to what is now the U.S.A. if I remember history classes correctly.

my thoughts too but we are still occaisionally learning new historical discoveries. I think we are still finding life forms that we did not know of.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 12:29 PM, Kirk W said:

Another book about the style of travel,  Blue Highways: A Journey into America

Kirk, one of my favorite books which must be reread at a minimum of every 5 years. William Least Heat Moon also wrote River Horse, an adventure about a small boat trip from the East Coast to the West Coast, with a surprisingly small amount of portaging. But my fave is Blue Highways. 

Edited by LarryN

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 5:02 AM, Kirk W said:

But can you imagine traveling the US routes with all of the truck traffic from the interstate highways on them with you? A lot of the old routes are still there, though not always in exactly the same places but we have found the US routes to be more pleasant because the trucks and heaviest traffic are on the interstates.

Wow. I mean, WOW. I recently did rte 66 Topock area and have to say I CANNOT see trucks driving that route.  *shivers*

Kind regards

~Laughter is as essential as the air we breathe~

5 hours ago, Seeria said:

Wow. I mean, WOW. I recently did rte 66 Topock area and have to say I CANNOT see trucks driving that route.  *shivers*

The man who taught me to drive a semi-tractor trailer drove coast-to-coast back in the 1950's. He said it was tough work back then.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 11/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, Kirk W said:

Another book about the style of travel,  Blue Highways: A Journey into America

I enjoyed Blue Highways as well.  Another great book on travel off the main roads is Travels With Charlie in Search of America, by John Steinbeck.  

Charles Kuralt & his wonderful "On the Road" TV shorts must have enjoyed the book & stole a quote:

John Steinbeck: "When we get these thruways across the whole country, as we will and must, it will be possible to drive from New York to California without seeing a single thing."

Charles Kuralt:  "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel
from coast to coast without seeing anything."

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

Charles Kuralt & his wonderful "On the Road" TV shorts

I was an avid watcher of those TV shorts and I think that may have been the start of our movement toward going on the road full-time. While health issues have made us stop, I still consider those years to have been 12 of the best year of my life. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI