The oldest road in the U.S.A.

Ray,IN

Yellowstone Trail is the oldest road in the U.S.A. Click on the map to see the road, and attractions. in each state.

"If you aren't pulling a car out of the mud, keep your horse off the road."

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Like Route 66 is now mostly I-40 in the south the, the Yellowstone Trail looks like it follows somewhat I-90 in the north. I have driven most of Rt 66 at one time or another. I will have to drive the YT from end to end someday. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 months later...

It's a shame so many of the old roads get re-routed.  We did US 50 coast to coast, almost, in 2005, on motorcycles.  We stayed true to as much of the old road as practical, until we got to Carson City, NV.  However, on the return, my wife and I made up for it by coming through Sacramento where it officially starts/ends.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It's a shame so many of the old roads get re-routed

You can blame that on President Eisenhower and the creation of the Interstate System officially the Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. It was a dream he had had since he was a young Army lieutenant. That is in itself an interesting bit of history and another story.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

16 hours ago, rickeieio said:

It's a shame so many of the old roads get re-routed. 

But can you imagine traveling the US routes with all of the truck traffic from the interstate highways on them with you? A lot of the old routes are still there, though not always in exactly the same places but we have found the US routes to be more pleasant because the trucks and heaviest traffic are on the interstates.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

But can you imagine traveling the US routes with all of the truck traffic from the interstate highways on them with you? A lot of the old routes are still there, though not always in exactly the same places but we have found the US routes to be more pleasant because the trucks and heaviest traffic are on the interstates.

Which is why when the truckers moved to the interstate system, we rarely travel on them.  The best way to see this country is on the US Highways and even some of the more scenic state highways.  There was a guy out of the Miami area many years ago who traveled with his cat in a truck camper and put out a newspaper and he referred to avoiding the interstates as shunpiking.  It's rare when we find ourselves on any interstate.

1 hour ago, Mr. Camper said:

Which is why when the truckers moved to the interstate system, we rarely travel on them.  The best way to see this country is on the US Highways and even some of the more scenic state highways.  There was a guy out of the Miami area many years ago who traveled with his cat in a truck camper and put out a newspaper and he referred to avoiding the interstates as shunpiking.  It's rare when we find ourselves on any interstate.

Great day trip is US 30 (E Historic Columbia River Highway)  picked up outside of Portland, Oregon (at Troutdale) all the way to the Dallas, OR,  rather than I-84.  US 30 runs along the Columbia river and has NUMEROUS waterfalls, usually with a pull out to park and hike to the base of the water fall.  So you get to see so many before getting to Multnomah Falls park.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 9/18/2020 at 7:38 PM, Ray,IN said:

Yellowstone Trail is the oldest road in the U.S.A. Click on the map to see the road, and attractions. in each state.

"If you aren't pulling a car out of the mud, keep your horse off the road."

It's not actually the oldest road in the US (Oldest Roads). The article says, "The Yellowstone Trail was  the first transcontinental automobile highway in the United States through the northern tier of states from Washington through Massachusetts."

Interesting info, though.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

A few decades ago we rented a Class C and followed US Hwy 2 from Minnesota to the west coast then back following US Hwy 30. We were researching railroads at that time so we followed the BN tracks west then the UP tracks east. It was a great way to do that research. That 3-week trip was what convinced us in 2008 that we could live full time in an RV. I wondering if those people who are RVing for the first time because of this pandemic will some day realize they could do this full time? Are they the future of this club? I hope so.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

It's not actually the oldest road in the US (Oldest Roads). The article says, "The Yellowstone Trail was  the first transcontinental automobile highway in the United States through the northern tier of states from Washington through Massachusetts."

Having spent my childhood in Illinois I always thought the Lincoln Highway was the first transcontinental road. According to that link it's only number eight in age although it appears it was the first transcontinental one.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm sure it's not actually the  "Oldest road", civilization of the US started in the East, not out West. I'm  thinking the location of where the first car's traveled from where  they were constructed would actually get the distinction of the first  road. The paths by which horses and  wagons all  seem  to be called "Trails" I think. 

One day it would be nice for the "Roads" to be set up for multi use without integration. Trucks get two lanes, cars another two, motorcycles one with it being split for riding and passing. All would be strictly  enforced for slowest traffic on right and passing only on the left. If you are on cruise control it stops working in the left lane. If you cannot pass in the time it takes for two links of the vehicle you are passing to go by you are forced back behind and not allowed to  attempt again. Won't the newest roads be  wonderful ;)

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, dixonge said:

I think things like this should be the 'oldest' ...

The Great Hopewell Road

Or, if you want to think in terms of European colonization:

El Camino Real

I wish we had a "Like" button on this forum... Thank you.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I suspect the oldest road designation may fall into the same mythical category as Columbus discovered America.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 Oldest Roads in the United States

Truckers History Report: America’s Oldest Highways

The catch is that we need to define the term highway before we get too far into this as there were trade routes that were frequently traveled in what is now the United States of America, long before European settlers arrived. 

Edited by Kirk W

30 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

8 Oldest Roads in the United States

Truckers History Report: America’s Oldest Highways

The catch is that we need to define the term highway before we get too far into this as there were trade routes that were frequently traveled in what is now the United States of America, long before European settlers arrived. 

Thanks  Kirk, 

It is too bad  we  don't have a "like"   and maybe a "dislike" button, but if I really wanted that I could go back to Social media instead  of  a forum. History relies on who is telling the story and how many tell the same story enough to  make it seem believable. No one person really knows, knew or told the entire story. Only the people actually there  witnessed  it. Today we  do  have the  benefit/regret of having recordings of events, but again it's only seen and portrayed in the view  of the person sharing. It's still not the entire scene or the  total activities  or actions that lead to  the final projection.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The first "roads' for humans followed game trails as much as possible.  Man, I started this  for something interesting to follow in an RV, it has morphed into a history lesson..👍

On 11/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, dixonge said:

I think things like this should be the 'oldest' ...

The Great Hopewell Road

Or, if you want to think in terms of European colonization:

El Camino Real

The El Camino Real is the route the Franciscan priests took from Mexico to Northern California building Missions along the way. San Diego, San Juan Capistrano, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara are all examples of the Missions. It is now called Highway 1. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Man, I started this  for something interesting to follow in an RV, it has morphed into a history lesson..

It could be a little bit of both. We have followed most of the Lewis & Clark route by RV, Route 66, US80, and most of the Natchez Trace. Some of those old, historic roads can lead to very interesting as well as educational adventures. 

15 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

The El Camino Real is the route the Franciscan priests took from Mexico to Northern California building Missions along the way. San Diego, San Juan Capistrano, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara are all examples of the Missions. It is now called Highway 1. 

Last night I did a search, because I was raised in Northern California, and lived near the Sonoma Mission, in fact visited several over during the 50's, so thought that was the ONLY El Camino Real.  Well, it's not and if you search around a little there are websites that shred what we were taught in school.  I choose to go with the story of Father Junipero Serra and the Missions.  Interesting to find the other 'roads' called El Camino Real.

I believe there is other terminology for orgininale roads refering to the "Kings Road or the Queens road."  I think many times it has been Americanized. IE  Kings Hwy in  Texarkana.  I believe there is or was one from San Antonio to Nacogdoches, Tx

On just minimal googling I found there was one that went from Mexico City to San Antonio then from there through east Tx terminating in Natchitoches, Louisiana.

Edited by bigjim

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

wonder about any viking or norsmen roads ?????

Those, if any would be found in what is now the Canadian maritimes. They did not travel to what is now the U.S.A. if I remember history classes correctly.

Edited by Ray,IN