National Dolphin

GlennWest

Ok, went way back in posts and found some info. Seems to be quality. I fairly sure I will get gas. Would like a diesel but a breakdown repair for it would stop my traveling. I can do anything to that Ford or chevy I want to. Will be looking for a 34' unit or so. Want to mostly go to state and national parks boondocking. My current setup really limits this.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My experience with a gas class A has become rather dated, since we downsized more than 8 years ago now, but in the 14 years that we traveled in a Ford powered coach, not only did we never have any transmission problems, I don't recall having heard of any. Since then, the Ford transmission has seen some really dramatic improvements and especially since about 2017. I was very impressed with the 2019 F450 of our friends when traveling with it. I really have not heard of any significant problems with the new transmissions. You may want to check the Ford truck forum to see what they say.

In looking at your title, are you looking at a used Dolphin? Since National RV ceased production in 2007, I would say that you will be looking at a transmission similar to the one that I had. I read somewhere that the transmission I had was proven to be solid for more than 300k miles. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, I am not buying a newer unit. I could if I ever get back to work but I am more interested in building up retirement 401 than a nice new MH. My plans have always been boondocking mostly at retirement. It is doable with my semi and Teton but liminted. Also that is a train to haul around. I can leave a lot of our stuff in Teton and travel in MH. I will still wrap it up in solar and mini split. I am sold on that. I just know little about them. Understand ride suffers with a gas due to no air suspension. How bad is it. Dually ride, 2500 ride? I would bring a small car. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

How bad is it. Dually ride, 2500 ride? I would bring a small car. 

An air ride does spoil you but a great deal depends on what is done to the chassis to improve handling and ride. With that era of Ford chassis it is usually a good improvement to add a track bar system for better control and we found that our ride improved dramatically with the addition of air bags. I didn't put them on until we began to get some chassis sag, as happens with most spring rides from those years because the RVs travel so near to the maximum GVWR nearly all of the time. Ours began to ride low in the back after about 8 years on the road so I had airbags added to the back to level it, then followed those with front ones because of the improvement. I think that the front contributed to the improvement nearly as much as the rear ones. I wish that I had put on airbags much sooner. If you buy any of the National RV coaches, I'd recommend putting on air bags at both axles if they are not already added. 

With the airbags, I would say ours road about the same as our 2003, Dodge 2500 diesel, when it is loaded. 

Edited by Kirk W

Back when we were shopping gas coaches, National was one of my top choices. In fact, there was a Dolphin that I preferred, but Pam wanted the floor plan in the Cruise Master, so guess what we bought? 🥰

I have been online looking at them. They look to not be so tall either. The wife nor I are tall. I'm 5'9". Most that had it listed showed good size tanks also. Which is best, Ford or Chevy. Know chassis and drive different.

Edited by GlennWest

11 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Which is best, Ford or Chevy.

I have always preferred Ford but have owned both and had good service from both. In 2004 Chevy stopped building the chassis and Workhorse took over until Chevy stopped building the engines in 2009. Since that there are only Ford chassis and it remains that way today. 

54 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I have always preferred Ford but have owned both and had good service from both. In 2004 Chevy stopped building the chassis and Workhorse took over until Chevy stopped building the engines in 2009. Since that there are only Ford chassis and it remains that way today. 

Thanks, I noticed with the Chevy some chassis were Workhorse and other GM. 

I have never driven a Workhorse chassis but I didn't think that our Ford was that bad but with a gas chassis the wheelbase ration is important and many builders will use the shorter chassis and then hang another 10 to 15 feet of RV behind it, some even more. That tends to make handling bad and especially in high winds or with trucks passing. Those are also usually quite close the gvwr and so are often overloaded by the owner. Back at that time it was rare for a gas coach to have more than 1200-1500# of cargo capacity. Quality shocks are vital to good handling on gas coaches and few owners replace them as needed. There are a lot of things that can improve the handling of a gas chassis, especially from those years but they also come with the law of diminishing returns. At that time, the best wheelbase ratios usually came from National, Newmar, Georgie Boy, or Allegro but all of them did make a few bad ones. Shorter chassis cost less so as you went to lower cost models and brands the chassis/wheelbase tend to get shorter.  Pretty much all gas chassis have an extension added to the frame rails back then. 

Good info, thanks. I am thinking around 35' coach. I looked at Foretravel. Boy they hold their value. Ones of them in price range goes pre 2000 and no slideouts. Also saw no gas models

Edited by GlennWest

On 9/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, Kirk W said:

Back when we were shopping gas coaches, National was one of my top choices. In fact, there was a Dolphin that I preferred, but Pam wanted the floor plan in the Cruise Master, so guess what we bought? 🥰

just an aside note, Kirk, back about 8 years ago... when my wife and I decided to retire and had come across a low mileage 2007 Dolphin 5355... I (as a new Escapee Mbr) posted on this site for any thoughts, recommendations, advice, etc.   You had some very good words to say about National RV.   Just wanted to let you know, you were right.   Its been a great Fulltime vehicle for over 7 years now.   Our experience has been - National RV used good material, a good design, used standard components, and built a great product.   We thought if we liked RV'ing... that we might 'upgrade' to a bigger Diesel... but found no compelling reason to.   Just some feedback.       

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I don't believe that Foretravel has build any gas models since the early 1980's. There is a good history of the company at this link. I just looked to see what new ones cost and the lowest price I found was $800k.

The long overhang is what causes most handling complaints IMO. It's kinda like the tail wagging the dog. More info here:  https://rv.org/blogs/news/short-wheelbases-and-accidents-go-hand-in-hand

Remember back in the 1980's-90's, the Ford extended van was involved in many crashes when towing, most of which were attributed to the long overhang. I also assumed using car tires instead of truck tires was part of that problem.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, GlennWest said:

And I am yet to see wheelbase listed.

In ads for used RVs it isn't common to see the wheelbase listed partly due to a lack of knowledge on the part of the seller, and partly due to the fact that if you had an excessively short wheelbase, you would not want to advertise it. If and ad lists the GVWR you may be able to look up the chassis to see what the wheelbase is unless there are multiple wheelbase lengths for the same GVWR. If you contact the seller, you could easily ask for the wheelbase but if you do that I would measure for myself before purchasing. In general, longer wheelbase means better handling, just as it does with a tow vehicle. 

To begin with the Foretravel turned me off due to the age of unit I would have to get in price I want to spend. But then I said what the heck and checked them out. They are some kind of nice. Found some in the 91,98 models that look very good. Also got to thinking that not a lot older than my Teton and it is in great shape. Reckon one can't beat real wood quality. They are diesel and lots I saw had the 5.7 Cummins in them. I know that engine and parts are easy to get. Not no power house though. Question how good it would be in the mountains. Likey as good or better than gas though.Most had Aquahot also. I know what it is but nothing about it. Is it a money pit if it fails? Love the wheelbase on them. Axle close it rear. Right in that year they had the Grand Villa and the U295 and U320. Love the stroage on the U chassis.The only thing that really concerns me is the Aquahot system. I don't want ot put over 50k in one. Really would like to put less.I don't have to have the neicest newest of anthing. 

Edited by GlennWest