National Dolphin

GlennWest

Know that there are two Chevy/Workhorse chassis, the P series and the W series.  The W series was what we had in our 2002 Dolphin.  The P series was known for a sloppy ride, the W series for sometimes being too stiff.  We did end up making suspension improvements, but many did nothing and were still happy.  We recently encountered a single woman with a stock 2003 Dolphin on a W chassis that was happy.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

Know that there are two Chevy/Workhorse chassis, the P series and the W series.  The W series was what we had in our 2002 Dolphin.  The P series was known for a sloppy ride, the W series for sometimes being too stiff.  We did end up making suspension improvements, but many did nothing and were still happy.  We recently encountered a single woman with a stock 2003 Dolphin on a W chassis that was happy.  

Been doing a ton of reading the last few days. I read where a person posted that the difference was springs only. Could put the W springs on a P chassis and have a W

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I read where a person posted that the difference was springs only. Could put the W springs on a P chassis and have a W

It has been a long time, but I am quite sure that there was more difference than just springs. The P chassis was what they inherited from GM and the W series were chassis designed by Workhorse for motorhomes. The GM P chassis was just a slightly modified truck chassis. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Been doing a ton of reading the last few days. I read where a person posted that the difference was springs only. Could put the W springs on a P chassis and have a W

There are many options for air spring upgrades available that work well.  I had a Dolphin with the F53 chassis(Ford 460) and those helped alot.  Nice part of this setup was 16" wheels and so coach was not as tall as many with larger wheels, but also lower tire weight capacity.

Marcel

54 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Nice part of this setup was 16" wheels and so coach was not as tall as many with larger wheels, but also lower tire weight capacity.

At Escapees' Smart Weigh they ask about your tires. Now I know why. Thanks for teaching me something new to me.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van