Off road and winter

Nwcid

2 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I have a picture of just the truck on my phone but I don't know how to post it here.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

If you are willing to email, nwcid@yahoo.com

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

Just for reference a couple of winters ago I left my truck, singled short Volvo 630 with super singles, parked on the side of the driveway a little to long. The front wheels had sunk a little and the ground was frozen when I decided to move it. This was before I built the bed, I tryed laying chains on the ground but I could only get it to rock. I tried to pull it with my 90 horse 4 wheel drive farm tractor, no chains on tractor,  no go.  I was by my self so as a last resort I set the bucket on the frame and lifted the front of the tractor off the ground probably added 3 or 4 thousand pounds as far back as I could. It walked right out pushing the 9000 lb tractor. I do have a locking diff sure would like one.

7 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

I have a picture of just the truck on my phone but I don't know how to post it here.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Go to the top of this HDT page about the forth post down is picture posting instructions. 

Edited by Lance A Lott
Spelling

I just read the thread, I suspect what you should be looking at is a MDT (Class 5/6) with 4 WD; or check in to having hydraulic AWD put on a HDT.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

I just read the thread, I suspect what you should be looking at is a MDT (Class 5/6) with 4 WD; or check in to having hydraulic AWD put on a HDT.

I have looked at the MDT also and not sure they fit what I want for the price they cost.  I do know they make true 4x HDT because we get them as tactical water tenders on wildland fires and they are impressive. I do not know for sure, but I would imagine the cost is higher then non 4x HDT and the ride is not as nice. 

That AWD link looks pretty cool, but I could not find any pricing info. 

E1ucUP5l.jpg

This is my HDT.  The car goes up the ramps length wise and a small RZR rides cross wise under the car.  The black boxes on the bed are steel covered 100 gallon fresh and waste tanks.  The ramps across the bed just ahead of the hitch deploy for the car and 2 are used for the RZR.  The front of the car extends over the cab.  The half round stops on the far end catch the front tires of the RZR.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the truck loaded with me now.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

A small winch will pull a lot, with pulleys.  Think block and tackle.  You don't need to lift the truck, just provide some additional pull.   Not a good solution if you expect to use it a lot, but it would do in a a pinch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Howdy Nwcid,

Found this, put a sleeper on the rear deck and call it good, yeah it's not as nice inside as the usual HDT used for dragging a camper but it should do what you want to do and its CHEAP.1980 AM GENERAL NOT SPECIFIED - Listing #: 481634

Stock #: -
Odometer: -

Military Trucks - EXTRA LONG WHEEL BASE- DUAL 14 X 20 DRIVE TIRES, HEAVY REINFORCED FRAME, CAB HEAT, CUMMINS DIESEL, 5 SPEED TRANSMISSION, CAB HARD TOP, EXCELLENT SHAPE, MILITARY REBUILD T... More Info

Eastern Surplus & Equipment

Philadelphia, PA

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 hours ago, rickeieio said:

A small winch will pull a lot, with pulleys.  Think block and tackle.  You don't need to lift the truck, just provide some additional pull.   Not a good solution if you expect to use it a lot, but it would do in a a pinch.

Yes, but snatch blocks also cost money along with the hardware needed to set them up.  Often times you are better off going with a properly sized winch.  

7 hours ago, steiny93 said:

the bummer about a winch is that you tend to not have an attach point where you need one

Concerning the sizing.  I run 12k winches on the jeeps; we've been in many situations where that isn't enough.

Yeah.  Most recommend at least 2x whatever your weight is.  I have always carried a block with me, but I have never needed it for a straight pull. 

3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Nwcid,

Found this, put a sleeper on the rear deck and call it good, yeah it's not as nice inside as the usual HDT used for dragging a camper but it should do what you want to do and its CHEAP.1980 AM GENERAL NOT SPECIFIED - Listing #: 481634

$17,500

Dave

While it would definitely off road, outside of that I do not think it would meet any of my other requirement.  

It would be cool to have one for sure.  I have a neighbor that frequently drives one all around the county.