Your Trailer Weight Vs Your Truck Size And Your Drivability

kstills

Just for information: my little Kenworth has a 160” WB so 8” shorter than my F350 Fordor or the previous Dodge.

The visibility forward is much better and turn radius is smaller. 

But - it is a truck not a pickup power to weight ratio wise. It does not have the zoom factor a pickup has.

But you hitch up a 9 to 15 ton trailer and it’s like, “whatever”.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

17 hours ago, Consolenut said:

If its a Cab and chassis I would. Not the pickup. ITs derated to class 3 and GVW is anemic.

My 2014 f450 Platinum is rated at 14,000 GVW,  33,000 GCWR,  with a 24,7000  towing capacity, 9100 RAWR and 5380 lb of payload , with the wide track front end I can easily manuver and make U turns when needed.  Is also my daily driver making 400 HP and 800 Torque with the 6 speed tranny and tow haul , I dont consider that derated or anemic

On 10/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, palmeris said:

My 2014 f450 Platinum is rated at 14,000 GVW,  33,000 GCWR,  with a 24,7000  towing capacity, 9100 RAWR and 5380 lb of payload , with the wide track front end I can easily manuver and make U turns when needed.  Is also my daily driver making 400 HP and 800 Torque with the 6 speed tranny and tow haul , I dont consider that derated or anemic

Yeah 14,000 on the pickup. Which IMO is anemic for a MDT class truck.   The cab and chassis you can get a GVW of up 17,500. Extra 3500 pounds of GVW is nothing to sneeze at. And its just a different beast altogether. 

in comparison my Topkick has a 11500 rear axle and a GVW of 17500.  If hauling a True full time rig you would be over easily on the rear axle weight ratings. New Horizon, Spacecraft even my Teton are pigs on the pin weight. My hitch weight as an example is scaled at 6400 with empty tanks.

Edited by Consolenut

The Topkick and C&C you are describing are class 5 trucks. The F450 PU is a Class 3, barely by 1 LB, but still a Class 3 at the top of that class 3 rating.

kstills quoted a post by noteven and asked if he would consider  a fully setup f450 capable of pulling " his" rig.

On 8/19/2020 at 3:33 PM, noteven said:

Trailer - 3 axle 39ft weighs 18,000lbs approx 3500 on the pin depending on garage load.

Truck - 160" wheelbase 2 axle Kenworth dually. 11R22.5 tires, air brakes. Truck by itself weighs 7100lbs on the steer axle and 7600lbs on the drive axle.

It has an economical 8.3 Cummins engine with only 950lbs/ft of torques and 280ish HP (2100 rpm) so it does not win any Tow Your Big Fiver To The Top Of The Hill Trophy Dashes.  

If fact, it is so slow climbing grades the awards ceremony and podium is always packed up and gone when I get to the top of the hill. I'd like to see the awards ceremony once .... 

Complete rig is 56ft long overall and handles nice.  Lots of brakes. 

My truck #2 that can pull this trailer is a 2006 Dodge diesel 168" wheelbase - kind of irrelevant in today's pickup world. This truck handles the trailer ok. It has a bigger turn radius than the Kenworth.  It burns more fuel / mile than the Kenworth. It's 4x4 so you can be braver where you want to camp. 

Pickups are kind of floppy under heavy trailers compared to fully grown trucks. 

Today's super pickups are pretty capable. For what they cost they should be. 

Expand  

Would you consider a fully setup F450 as a suitable tow vehicle for your rig

My response  to your specific PU / C&C comment was to point out that my F450 PU is well within specification to pull notevens trailer and I would not consider it to be derated or aneamic in its capabilities to do so.

However, I wouldnt attempt to pull your 6400 Teton pin weight with it , jeeze that got to be close to a 30,000 lb rig when loaded and is  requireing an HDT class 8 tractor to tow that beast.

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

The Topkick and C&C you are describing are class 5 trucks. The F450 PU is a Class 3, barely by 1 LB, but still a Class 3 at the top of that class 3 rating.

kstills quoted a post by noteven and asked if he would consider  a fully setup f450 capable of pulling " his" rig.

My response  to your specific PU / C&C comment was to point out that my F450 PU is well within specification to pull notevens trailer and I would not consider it to be derated or aneamic in its capabilities to do so.

However, I wouldnt attempt to pull your 6400 Teton pin weight with it , jeeze that got to be close to a 30,000 lb rig when loaded and is  requireing an HDT class 8 tractor to tow that beast.

Yes it is a beast.  But to clarify I was assuming 3500 on the pin being the lightest the pin would ever be. For notevens toyhauler. Most that post on forums post the listed hitch weight by manufacturer.  Which im sure know is dry weight. 

Like it was mentioned, it is the gettingin a HDT. My knees have been replaced, i was a owner operator w/ 1988 T600 KW . Loved the ride but my wife wont learn to slip shift and i refuse to own a computer dependant def pig. My tow vehicle is 2002 F350 4dr dw 8ft bed with 7.3 and 3 spd auto, daily driver is 03 f250 7.3 3 spd auto ext cabw/ 8ft bed. Spent a few years daily up n down from hdt cab. Nice ride but do not put 14 hr days in behind a windshield anymore. Rv is a 09 drv 36tk3. As any time u r on the seat watch, wait, plan and prepare