F-550 Pickup Bed Conversion and towing

Rick A

I am looking to move up to a larger toy hauler and need to upgrade my truck. Considering a Luxe toy hauler. I am looking into a 2020 Ford F-550 Chassis Cab and thinking a pickup bed conversion vs a hauler bed would better suite my needs. I haul around bikes, kayaks, and such when not towing and a pickup bed comes in handy when having to go the home improvement store. I have been searching the internet and do not find a lot of conversion companies that do this. I know Centurion a while back did a pickup style bed, but nothing current on their website. I have seen pictures of this from Classy Chassis, but again nothing current on the website. So does anyone know of a conversion company still doing pickup bed conversions on a chassis cab? Also, is anyone towing with the new 2020 F-550? I am real curious how the new 10 speed transmission does with towing heavy trailers.

I am going away from pickup box trucks due to I have a flat bed and it is nice to have a place to set your one case of beer while you open the back door. 

A F-550 with a pickup bed would be cool.  

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

You need to call Waylon Long at 2L Custom Trucks in Poolville Texas northwest of Fort Worth. He is a master fab guy and could answer your questions. He was on the forums a few years back and does really good work. I have no interest in this business nor did he do work for me but I've seen his trucks. This could be a start for you.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

You must be a big Ford fan.  Look at the Ram 3500, it has about the same towing as the 550. I have no interest in either. I do have a older 2001 F550 with a Tuscany Starhauler bed and like it. Although it has the great 7.3PSD it does have a 3 speed with OD which is lacking in what I would consider adequate towing. I bought it used back in 07 and it served me well. Back in 2001 the 4 speed trannies was what was generally available. 

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

I'm not a Ford, Ram, or Chev fan. I only posted because I thought you wanted some questions answered and he's a guy who probably could help. I've towed our rig the last seven plus years with a Volvo.

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

Howdy!

If you have a F550 truck and your looking to have a hauler bed built contact Herrin Haulers. They are great bed builder and I had my first MDT bed built buy them.

http://www.herrinhauler.com/

2L Custom Trucks is also a great location as I purchased my truck I have now from Waylon Long. I could not find a truck in stock and Waylon had new trucks ready to build out. He purchases trucks with all the creature comforts with a bed not truck and chassis so the truck is not detuned. I would contact Waylon either way and see what he could do for you. He likes Chevorlet trucks but the new 2020 has an incredible tow rating that may work for you. But he also builds out Ford F550 trucks.

https://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, kstills said:

What’s the advantage to a hauler bed? You seem to lose a lot of the pickup truck utility.

You can put stakes on flat ded. Put framing in and have a pickup box. I would never own another truck with a pickup box. I hate them. Don't understand you wanting one. Just after getting my previous dually I removed box and put on western style bed. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:52 PM, kstills said:

What’s the advantage to a hauler bed? You seem to lose a lot of the pickup truck utility.

Ditto  to GlennWest

Normally has easy access dry storage.  Ease of hooking and Unhooking (you don't have climb over the side of a pick-up bed). I don't have worry about a truck trail being up or down. Pending  where I parked and time of year I carry difference items on the deck which can reach and remove easily with out unhooking of breaking my neck. 

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C