Choosing Domicile in the next week or 2

Link to my question in the HDT section.  I know many of the details but still am undecided.  The link is about my personal comparison.  If you have anything to add please do.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

You need to look closely at legal issues as well as just what it means to create a domicile. If you have not yet done so, read The Issue of Domicile from Escapees publications. Since I have never owned a heavy hauler and do not expect to, I don't read that forum so don't know what you have considered. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Kirk, I have seen your links sent to many of us and I have read many escapees documents related to this decision. Thank you for always being there to help.

I am in a comparison mode, but making a decision that will affect us for years has made me overthink, and has resulted in plain old indecision.  I like the health care stories I am hearing about Florida, but I have not much interest in Florida otherwise.  Tennessee has many of the things I like with the exception of horrible sales taxes. We will be traveling so maybe not too much impact.  For other reasons, TX and SD are in between.

It must help me to write it down, this is the first time I realized Tennessee is potentially at the top.  🙂

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I went with SD. No income tax, low sales tax and estate tax, register by mail, no inspection, no CDL required. The only negative is health insurance is limited. I now have Medicare so that is not an issue any more for me. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Connecticut requires commercial truck taxes and licensing for a  HDT (semi) regardless of use.  When I first tried to license my Volvo 770 as a private vehicle, the objection was the commercial hitch.  I had that removed, and reapplied.  I was then told "once a tractor, always a tractor".

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

What state requires a CDL to drive an RV?   Some required enhanced DL, but those are CDLs.

DC and HI (> 26K), IN and WI (>45 ft). I've never met any full-timers who domicile in those places, though.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg