Awning fabric replacement

In the past I had read there was a awning fabric that did not hold water. What I'm interested in finding that Material. Finding out some stories of some users. If I needed I think I have a source to do the sewing.

My 4 1/2 year old slide awnings need replacement.  The existing awning are Colorado Free and has always held water. Then when the wind gust hit 70 mph the stitching let loose on both the 12 and 14 foot awnings

The second option would be a complete replacement with a better quality yet still use the more course fabric.

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

One person here said they used sun-shade material. Personally, if it is not water repellent I'll not buy it, I don't want water seeping in through the top seal/ gasket.

Have you tried tightening the rewind spring a couple of turns? Another option is to make your RV slightly higher in front, this causes water to run off the rear side of the topper. I saw one guy put inflatable beach balls under his toppers to prevent sagging.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I made my own out of Phifertex 90% sun reduction. No, it is not water repellent. Nor does it flap, belly, or stretch. It DOES stop leaves, branches and other debris. Even the best topper would let water blow in the ends. And considering the volume of rigs out there w/o toppers, the consensus would be that the slides are DESIGNED to be effective against water.  I personally decided the pro's far outweigh the cons, and I work with Sunbrella and sunscreen daily on boats. 

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Note I was referring to toppers, not awnings for the fabric. However I do have a sunscreen that I drop from the awning roller for low-sun conditions. Attaches w/Velcro

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

14 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

My 4 1/2 year old slide awnings need replacement.  The existing awning are Colorado Free and has always held water. Then when the wind gust hit 70 mph the stitching let loose on both the 12 and 14 foot awnings

Just to clarify, do you mean your slide TOPPERS?  I realize your wrote awnings in your post.

I have had sunscreen material on our slide covers for 17 years. It was A&E factory material that started to give up after 14 years. I had a shop sew up new ones using the sunscreen material and would never want a solid awning material. It is not nearly "wind affected" and yes, it does let water come down on the slide roof. No different than folks that don't have toppers.

50 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Just to clarify, do you mean your slide TOPPERS?  I realize your wrote awnings in your post.

Slide Toppers seems to be the preferred name

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

8 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

I have had sunscreen material on our slide covers for 17 years. It was A&E factory material that started to give up after 14 years. I had a shop sew up new ones using the sunscreen material and would never want a solid awning material. It is not nearly "wind affected" and yes, it does let water come down on the slide roof. No different than folks that don't have toppers.

For me it wasn't the actual water, but rather the 4" of frozen snow/ice that I had to wait to melt enough to shove it off the slide roof. But that was back in the early 90's.  Water may be directed away from the seal, just tilt the RV a few degrees the direction you want water to flow.

Since DW is unable to travel much, I think you guys talked me into buying the sun-shield material too, if the OEM  Carefree material goes South without me.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...