"Distant Networks" going away June 1 per DirecTV

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

I have heard from everyone that you can't call in to DirectTV and have service address changed and get it done easily over the phone.  Which is what I just did, in anticipation of no 'locals' any longer.  Took a couple of transfers to get me to the billing area, but once I explained what I wanted, he said to hang on while he did it, looked up and the TV was searching for program guide and voila, there they were.  He again verified the billing address and it was done.   I was amazed to say the least.  Once in a while something goes the way it should!

Took me 6 hours over a couple days, about 8 reps and still had to have the problem escalated to the next level. Couple days later the channels were changed. Hope future changes are like yours and not ours.

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, SKP099512 said:

Took me 6 hours over a couple days, about 8 reps and still had to have the problem escalated to the next level. Couple days later the channels were changed. Hope future changes are like yours and not ours.

So do I.  I was all set to tell them they were loosing a customer, but once I said I was an RVer, things seemed to go very well.  Took maybe 20 minutes for the whole thing.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

From "The TV Answer Man!"

Updated, June 1, 9:30 a.m. ET
DIRECTV can no longer carry ABC’s ‘out-of-market’ channel under a new law, but it has signed last-minute deals with CBS, NBC, Fox and the CW to continue offering its programming to certain rural residents, RV owners and others who can’t get their local network affiliates through the satcaster.

https://tvanswerman.com/2020/06/01/directv-loses-distant-network-channels-under-new-law/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We live full-time in our RV and have since 2009 and have had DNS all that time, both east and west coast feeds. Been a crazy couple days. Checked yesterday morning when I got up and had all channels. Later lost ABC east but still had ABC west but only for a few hours. This morning both CW east and west missing too. Might take a while to sort this new reality out.

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

I've never been a DirecTV customer, so I can't comment on what's going on with them. All I can say is that it's extremely quick and easy to use the smartphone app to change the locals on out Dish outdoor account whenever we move from one market area to another. It takes about two minutes - less time than it takes me to set out the antenna (we use a Pathway X2 carry-out so there's a better chance of getting a clear shot at the satellites in a wooded campground or park). Our Flex Pack with locals is about $50/month.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The report that DNS is dead turns out to be fake news.   Rec'd this today......

We recently notified you that Congress had decided not to renew key provisions of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) and that as a result, you would have lost access to out-of-market broadcast networks ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW starting June 1, 2020.

We’re happy to let you know that DIRECTV will now continue to provide you with access to broadcast networks CBS, FOX, and NBC as part of your Mobile Network Package. Unfortunately, access to ABC and The CW networks are no longer part of your Mobile Network Package.

In recognition of any inconvenience to you, we are adjusting the price of your Mobile Network Package from $15 to $11, effective June 1, 2020. Please note this new price (and any related credits) will appear within 1 to 2 billing cycles.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

8 minutes ago, usnlt said:

The report that DNS is dead turns out to be fake news.   Rec'd this today......

We recently notified you that Congress had decided not to renew key provisions of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) and that as a result, you would have lost access to out-of-market broadcast networks ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW starting June 1, 2020.

We’re happy to let you know that DIRECTV will now continue to provide you with access to broadcast networks CBS, FOX, and NBC as part of your Mobile Network Package. Unfortunately, access to ABC and The CW networks are no longer part of your Mobile Network Package.

In recognition of any inconvenience to you, we are adjusting the price of your Mobile Network Package from $15 to $11, effective June 1, 2020. Please note this new price (and any related credits) will appear within 1 to 2 billing cycles.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

Got same email, beat me to it

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

I had been grandfathered into the DNS at the house and hadn’t changed my account to a mobile account when I sold the house and went full-time.  Last week I had several long conversations with DTV and ended up applying for a mobile account - thereby getting DNS back.  It all went quite smoothly.

41 minutes ago, SWharton said:

DNS is still missing ABC and PBS, I would rather have the channels than save $4 a month. Happy I switched to Dish and saved $50 per month. Big deal that I have to change my zip code as we move, can probably do it on their app. Will find out next year.

The MyDish app uses your phone's GPS to determine your location and assigns a nearby address as your service address for "Outdoor" accounts.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The MyDish app uses your phone's GPS to determine your location and assigns a nearby address as your service address for "Outdoor" accounts.

Mmmmm . . . one big reason for not using the app.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Just now, Zulu said:

Mmmmm . . . one big reason for not using the app.

The majority of the time they get it right for the campground or park you're in. Unless you're expecting a service call, what difference does it make what service address they use as long as it's in the desired DMA?

Dutch

2 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The majority of the time they get it right for the campground or park you're in. Unless you're expecting a service call, what difference does it make what service address they use as long as it's in the desired DMA?

If the app does it automagically, then it would be difficult to pick up Sacramento in AZ, right?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 minutes ago, Zulu said:

If the app does it automagically, then it would be difficult to pick up Sacramento in AZ, right?

If I want to use a different DMA than where I am, I just fire up the "Fake GPS" app on my phone and set it for where I want the Dish app to think I am. Of course I would need to be within the spot beam if it's not a CONUS beam to actually receive that DMA. Right now for instance, I'm in the southern Adirondacks in NY, but my service address is in VT. The VT address is in a rare dual DMA that receives both the Albany, NY DMA locals and the Burlington, VT DMA locals on spot beams that cover our NY location. We'll probably head back the VT site after the 4th though.

Dutch

57 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If I want to use a different DMA than where I am, I just fire up the "Fake GPS" app on my phone and set it for where I want the Dish app to think I am.

Arghhh, too much hassle. I'll stick with Dish Chat.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

8 hours ago, Zulu said:

Arghhh, too much hassle. I'll stick with Dish Chat.

It's a lot faster than typing/pasting the info into the chat window when it finally opens. Just tap on the Fake GPS map to indicate where you want the Dish app to think you are, open the Dish app and proceed normally. No waiting on the CSR to enter the new data and get back to you, and no need to verify they got it right with your MYDish account.

Dutch

12 hours ago, SWharton said:

DNS is still missing ABC and PBS, I would rather have the channels than save $4 a month. Happy I switched to Dish and saved $50 per month. Big deal that I have to change my zip code as we move, can probably do it on their app. Will find out next year.

It is ABC and CW.   We are still getting PBS.   Since I changed our service address, we are getting locals for this area now.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 2 months later...

Guess no one ever came back and said the ABC had been added back to the DNS package.  Only channel we're missing is the CW that we never watched anyway.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

41 minutes ago, mhs4771 said:

Guess no one ever came back and said the ABC had been added back to the DNS package.  Only channel we're missing is the CW that we never watched anyway.

Kept forgetting to mention this.

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're getting the ABC Network programming, but non-network programming is blacked out.  Kind of Dumb if you ask me.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top