Yuma Summer effect on Motorhome?

I am a Fulltimer currently parked on our Winter RV lot in Wellton, AZ.   Our plans for the Summer are possibly changing (Covid related), with one option having us stay here in our 36' Motorhome for part, or all, of the 2020 Summer.   For at least two months, the Motorhome would be un-occupied.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to best handle this "Motorhome - Summer" situation.   We are well equipped with A/C, FHU's, etc... but no shade cover or anything of that nature (yet).

Thanks, Folks - and lets stay healthy!  

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Jim and Alice, as 17 year winter season veteran, I can give you some ideas. We have many friends here that have park models and RVs that stay here all year. Having helped many here is what we do. For the 2 month unoccupied, disconnect from power, check water level on batteries and disconnect them from the coach. Saran wrap the pottie with water in it to keep the seal from drying out. Put RV antifreeze in all traps.

For while you are in the coach, use silver foil in the windows, in roof vents. It makes it dark but does help keeping some of the heat out. When it does get hot, don't open the doors or windows like in the AM, let the AC on. I don't like the cave atmosphere but it sure does help. You may want to scope out the possibility of adding a window unit to supplement the coach AC if the coach AC won't keep it cool enough. Window sun screen material on the outside also helps. Try to use the microwave or convection oven to help keep the interior heat down. Use crockpots etc. outside. Fans and ceiling fans really help too. If I can be of more help just PM us. We usually leave the first week of May but could depend on the RV park situation.   Just thought of something else. While you are in the RV use pipe insulation or pool noodles over your hoses. And foil the water filter. You won't probably need to run the water heater, just don't scald yourself when opening a faucet. Tire covers will help to keep the sun off the tires.

Edited by bobsallyh

Thank You very much, BobSallyH - much appreciated.   I have seen your helpful posts before.   We are out in Wellton, an RV lot in Coyote Wash... hope to meet you someday!   Your suggestions are just exactly what I was looking for.   We have workamping jobs lined up in the Black Hills, but with the Covid-19 pandemic, they may not be happening.   We are contingency planning.    Also, we are considering investing in an "RV Port" metal structure... we shall see.

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

I have never spent a summer in AZ but have on two occasions experienced  summer in a motorhome with temperatures exceeding 100 degree daytime highs for an extended period. Your considering an RV cover would make a very big difference in reducing heat gain as direct sun contributes far more to the problem than does outside air temperatures. Consider the effect that sun has on a closed up car. If a cover can fit into the budget, I think it a wise choice, especially for the time you will occupy the RV. That cover should allow you to have some windows open to the outside light. If you don't have one, get yourself one of the sun reflecting windshield covers as well that go on the outside of the windshield to keep that heat energy outside, rather than trying to reflect it back out. Anything that you can do to prevent thermal gain will be a big help. We found that when in direct sun with 50A & 2 a/c units, when high temperatures exceeded 100 we struggled to keep interior temperatures below 85 degrees. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I assume that by "RV Port Metal Cover" you are talking about a large "carport" type structure that covers and shades the RV.  We have a lot in a "resort" in Texas where about half of the folks stay year-round.  All of them have invested in a large carport type cover that gives shade to their RV throughout the day.  Many have included either solid or shade-cloth sides as well, especially on the west, and sometimes south side.  For them it makes an otherwise unbearable situation much more comfortable. And, it allows them to have natural light coming into the RV rather than the black-out situation that comes from covering all of the windows. 

That being said, a cover tall enough and large enough to shade an RV is not a trivial thing, and not cheap.  But if I were going to be in that situation I would get one without hesitation.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Jim & Alice, I just thought about something else. Brain fade at times. If you have slides, try some white Styrofoam sheets or blue board to lay on the slide roofs. It isn't anything fancy or expensive but it sure does help keep the heat coming thru the thin slide roofs. Another thing if going to be away from the rig for a couple months or more, get a couple of five gallon plastic buckets, cut a couple inch hole in the lids and fill about 3/4 full of water. Don't use gallon milk or water jugs as they have a tendency to leak at the bottom over time and get brittle. Also don't forget to top off batteries. If I think of more stuff I'll update, you know brain strain!

Edited by bobsallyh

bobsallyh... Mptjelgin.... Kirk.... Guys, thanks very much for the suggestions and advice.   Again, at this time this is contingency planning... but given the status of the Covid-19 virus it may well become our  Summer plan.   We love our workamper jobs in the Black Hills but their situation is quite 'iffy'... and they are doing the best they can to cope.   I will be writing up a work plan of things to do, based on your suggestions, for my wife and I to keep the Motorhome on our lot in Wellton thru the Summer months.   Also, I am exploring the possibility on installing a "RV Port" Metal cover Structure on our lot big enough for all our needs.   Looks like about $7,000-$10,000 to do so... and given the business shutdowns in place, may take weeks to complete.   Interesting times we live in.   

Again, gentlemen, Thank You very much!           

2007 Dolphin

5 minutes ago, fly2low said:

That looks good except it's only 30-feet long so part of their 36-foot rig would hang out.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

That looks good except it's only 30-feet long so part of their 36-foot rig would hang out.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod;11051;ft_canine_supplies_store-ft_kennel_canopies_shade;pgdaddy_1240rv10w10.html

I've always been a tinkerer and a fixer...

So what better way to stay active in my retirement than to buy an RV...

8 hours ago, KRum said:

Ah! I did not find a link to the longer one. Glad you did.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Jim and Alice, where in the Black Hills do you work camp? I volunteered at Custer State Park for 3 summers several years ago.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Jim and Alice, where in the Black Hills do you work camp? I volunteered at Custer State Park for 3 summers several years ago.

Hi, Twotoes.   We have workamped at Hart Ranch (Rapid city) for the last 5 years... with this Summer hopefully being #6.   Great place to stay... and workamp!   We're hopeful that this Summer works out... but with all that is going on, who knows?   They are good folks there, and I know they are struggling to figure things out too.   We are staying 'tuned' for when things clarify for them.. then us.   Meanwhile, Summer is fast approaching.   You are fortunate to have workamped at Custer... Beautiful place.   Love the Buffalo... and Beaver Creek Bridge.   We always get an annual pass for Custer just be be able to go & come there as we please.

2007 Dolphin

I just called Hart Ranch today to see of they have monthly rentals and was informed that they do not. I called Custer State Park to see if I can volunteer again but they are closed and the phone just goes to voice mail. This is going to be an interesting summer.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer