My Two ECR Presentations - Topic & Summary

RandyA

I have two one hour presentation sessions scheduled at the 2020 ECR.

One of the sessions is on RV Fire Safety.  This will not be a generic presentation.  Some of you may remember we had our Cedar Creek consumed by fire at 2:30 a.m. on February 22nd of 2018.  We were asleep when the fire started.  The entire trailer and contents were destroyed by fire, smoke and heat. The speed a fire and the toxic smoke and heat spread through an RV is almost unbelievable.  If you are in the RV when a fire starts you only have a few seconds to escape.  I have done a lot of research and thinking since that horrific night and have taken steps to better protect our lives and property should another fire ever occur.  I want to share all of this with you as a “real” experience and allow time for you to share your own ideas to protect you and your family in case of fire.

A second session is one hour in length and will focus on 3,000 watt or less commonly available 12/24 volt input Inverters (and converters?) typically used in our trucks and trailers.  How and why DC is changed to AC, current and cable considerations, Inverter types; square wave, modified sine wave, and pure sine wave.  What does or does not work well with each type.  Examples of each wave form output will be shown on an oscilloscope. What “surge” is actually available from inverters and what type of battery bank is needed for inverters.  I am an EE, Master Electrician and Professor Emeritus that taught Electrical Engineering classes to hundreds of students.  The session will be fact based, not derived from Internet drivel. The presentation will be technical but understandable to the lay individual.  Time will be allocated for questions.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Very interesting synopsis and much appreciated.  I wish I was going to be there, as both are topics that I would like to learn more about esp. from someone with such levels of knowledge and experience.  

Any chance that it could be video recorded for the benefit of those of us out here not able to attend physically.

Marcel

Randy,

Thanks for the posting and participation.  I have a tentative  schedule posted at eastcoasthdtrally.com if you want a look.  Just go to the menu (top right 3 lines on iPad) or tool bar on pc and click on 2020 ECR schedule.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Very interesting synopsis and much appreciated.  I wish I was going to be there, as both are topics that I would like to learn more about esp. from someone with such levels of knowledge and experience.  

Any chance that it could be video recorded for the benefit of those of us out here not able to attend physically.

Not sure about videoing but we have toyed with the idea before.  Maybe the tech guru of the ECR will respond.  (BTW I’m in the tech stone ages 😊).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Randy   Knowing you, I know that this non Electrician will be able to understand you presentation. Really looking forward to both. Hope you'll had a great winter down there but you really missed one of the mildest winters I can remember.    Pat

The Old Sailor

The Old Sailor 

Sounds like 2 good seminars, really wish I could make this year but as always life gets in the way but I  will be watching for next years dates and as a plus the wife SHOULD be retired by then which will make attending a lot easier. Have a great time

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

21 hours ago, rpsinc said:

"Professor95":

How about....... video record (via camera at the event) - then put on YouTube.

Would be MUCH appreciated !!