Replacement for Street Atlas

Jim Corey

To be honest I don't use any computer based mapping anymore to look at, or plan routes.  I start by checking my I-phone mapping for a general idea.  Sometimes I will use google maps on my I-phone and sometimes I use the trip planning tool on my Pilot/Flying J app.  Then I go to my paper Trucker's Atlas.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Google Maps for the first, general planning. Then the Mountain Directory (Eastern or Western) if we're going through places where grades and roads might be of concern. Then, using the information gathered above, set a course in our Garmin RV760 which makes sure we steer clear of low overpasses or bridges, restricted roads (have seen several of those in CA where we are at the moment), etc. This combo has kept us out of trouble for four years and 40K miles.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I still use SA for general navigation, the roads have not changed that much. But there are some alternatives:

RV Plan'N-gets down to the backroad level showing Forest Roads in detail. It also show RV parks in detail. I find it is a pain in the butt to use for planing tho. It has a hostile Interface. And while it claims to have a navigation mode, it is worthless since it opens a tiny window that can not be expanded for navigation. Plus this is now dead software but you can still buy it on Amazon.

RV Trip Wizard is a subscription service and works rather well for planning trip once you adjust to it's many quirks. The Interface is not highly developed but you can use it. You can put the height and length of your rig into it and it will route to avoid problems. I have not tried it for navigation but it supposedly does that by using a phone app. You can send the maps to google maps somehow. The developer is taking suggestions and it improving the interface so it may get better. There is an active forum on iRV2.

So I looked and didn't find anything much. CoPilot is now a phone app only and I didn't like what I saw. These developers would do everyone a favor by sticking to the defined Windows GUI which SA and S&T both did.

Edited by agesilaus

We still use Street Atlas - an awesome program that doesn't require internet.  We really don't have issue with incorrect information.  We also use a paper atlas to see a bigger, more detailed picture.  We love Benchmark series of road atlases for the western streets. It has everything on the map in great detail... public things, especially such as campgrounds, public parks, etc.  We could never travel by just plugging in A to B and follow it on a GPS or phone.  That's not the kind of traveling we do.  We meander.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don’t think Street Atlas runs on later versions of Windows. Can’t find my original discs. I still have it on an older laptop (I think). May dig it out and see if there’s still life in it.  It is too bad that a pretty good program was allowed to die. Obviously RVing is a limited market.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

I found my SA 2015 discs.🙂 Installed in Windows 10 fine. Now I have to relearn. Overall, I like the program (I’ve had it for years, updated annually), but it’s not intuitive at times. Thanks all for the input.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

I'm also still running SA 2015, but recently trying to plan our round about trip South, I've found numerous routes that don't show up on SA.  I've searched high and low for a replacement but haven't found anything close.  So I've recently purchased a Garmin RV 785, so far I like it as it will let you zoom in and change the route to your liking.  I don't like those where you just enter a location and it gives you a route which you have no control over.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

• 4 years later...

There is no direct replacement, MS Streets and Trips is also discontinued. Trip Wizard is the best trip planning and nav package now but it is part of a subscription that incl uses cg reviews and is a pricey $60/yr. I get it for free since I;ve submitted over 200 reviews.

Lots of people drop back to goggle maps which is free but not very good