TIRES

Tim and Peggy

Just bought a used 2014 Tiffin Allegro (Open Road) and the tires are original (only 23,000). As part of my negotiation with the seller (it was a private sale) I negotiated the price down by $3,000 thinking that woould be suffcient to cover the cost of 6 new tires. I had replaced tires on my previous coach. Much to my suprise, I am seeing prices around $4200 ($610/tire)

Anyone have any idea about whether than now is the cost for tires?

Picking it up late September outside The Villages, in FL.

Thanks.

What size tires on yours and what tire are you getting quotes on.  We just put 4 rear ones on (22.5), Toyo M154, and it was $500/tire out the door.  Since we bought them in Oregon, no sales tax.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, Tim and Peggy said:

255 80r 22.5

Prices have been for Michelin

You may want to consider some other brands of tire. The last time that I checked, only Michelin & Goodyear were compounding tires specifically for motorhome use but that may well have changed. Do you plan to replace the tires before you travel much or do you feel comfortable in traveling to a different state to replace them? As Barb points out, sales tax can make a major difference in the total cost of a set of tires and also the same tire can vary quite a bit from place to place becuase the cost of doing business also changes.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Michelins will probably be the most expensive.  I suspect that is what came on that coach originally.  There are many using Toyo as replacements with good luck.  They tend to be much cheaper.  You can do some quick research about them and read the reviews before deciding.  

Unless those tires haven't been taken care of you could probably safely drive it out of Florida after taking delivery and have them replaced in another area.  You may also want to consider a membership in FMCA and take advantage of their tire purchasing discount.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I bought 6 Yokohama’s in Phoenix AZ last winter for a total cost including mounting, balance, sales tax, and disposal of old tires (6 yr old Mitchelins) for a total of $3,400. I have about 1,000 miles on them and can’t tell the difference in the ride. Got them from a truck tire place. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Good news, I found a Goodyear Truck and Tire place in Ocala to sel me 6 Goodyear tires installed for $3,505. What I learned (and perhaps I am a bit too cynical) is that the major manufacturers (Tiffin, by example) must have a deal with Michelin (not that they are bad tires), but in the specifictions for our coach, the specify 255 (which is a Michelin identifier) so the uniformed owner is led to buy Michelin. So the bottom line is who the heck knows. But I saved myself $700+/- and we will see what happens.

Thanks all for your thoughts and info.

You probably won't notice any difference between the Goodyear and if you had Michelins put on IMHO.  That is a pretty fair price.  I would certainly check the date code on those tires to insure you are getting "fresh" tires and not something they have had for a year or more.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)