Insurance and vehicle registration cost Fla verses Texas

genecolleen

We have been Fl residents for years but are looking for a way to cut our fixed expenses. We are currently insured with National General for our HDT, fiver and smart. Is insurance cheaper in Texas? Registration seems high in Fl. Also. 

<p>Gene & Colleen2009 Volvo 670 customized by Gregg RV Haulers, 2014 New Horizon 5th wheel, 2012 smart car on the deck. Full time 6/17/2014

Vmmonline.org

• 1 month later...

SD is less expensive than more heavily populated areas for insurance.  3% sales tax up front unless you can prove it has been paid to another state.  Some counties have wheel tax and Highway Patrol fee added.  Empty weight determines the cost of your tags - which can be several hundred dollars each for a fiver and HDT.  Good news is no annual personal property tax nor state inspection.  Amazingly, you do not have to have a SD driver's license to do this.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

This topic is not as easy as yes SD is cheaper.  We domicile in FL and insure our HDT, fifth wheel, and Smart with National General.  We have heard all the discussion about SD being cheaper than FL and TX so we decided to check it out before renewal.  We contacted National General directly through Good Sams and also Americas Mailbox and both quoted our policies.  Americas Mailbox also quoted Progressive.  Keep in mind we do not use minimums for coverage and some of the coverage's change significantly or just don't exist from State to State, but we tried to get an apples to apples coverage in SD compared to our FL coverage.

With all that said we renewed our FL registrations and insurance coverage after the SD quotes.  SD quotes were $1,000 + more annually than our current FL policy.

Every situation is different so you need to do your own research and see what works best for you individually.

16 minutes ago, usbusin said:

I thought you could not register an HDT with a 5th wheel in Florida.  Only bumper pull?

Legally you cannot, but some people have gotten around that and gotten them registered.  It will work until it doesn't (usually because of an enforcement stop).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg