Generator Settings

SWharton

Our generator isn't running as we expect. Autogen works, turns on as scheduled but runs only 10 minutes, then turns off, SOC is 64% after running, around 61% at start. Then the generator doesn't turn on again(we waited 30 minutes)

These are our settings:

Start Volts = 12.2

Time at low volts to start = 30 sec

Stop Volts = 14.8

Time at stop voltage = 30 minutes

We have no idea what we have set wrong. If there is an additional parameter you need a number on let us know. We are on the road right now but will be doing a fair amount of boondocking so we need this resolved.

Thanks as usual.

Can you set the generator to start/stop off SOC? Voltage is not an ideal way to manage things. My SOC monitor has a relay output to start/stop the generator, based on the SOC parameters I choose. Maybe yours has that option. Jay

One problem with only using straight battery voltage as any "set point" is a battery experiences voltage sag anytime under a load (subject to current draw) and voltage rise when connected to a charger, and neither are true 100% accurate State of Charge (SOC) indications such as an actual battery monitor that senses current with a shunt. That being said, I don't see a "major" problem with a start up set point of 12.2 volts (perhaps that's low, actually Id prefer to START charging at around 12.4 volts) and some batteries like an initial Bulk charge of say 14.8 while others perhaps a bit lower maybe 14.4, but absent all the specs and manuals I cant say where to set the shut off other then if you're only achieving  64% it may need set higher ?????????? More meaningful battery voltages are when its at rest and stabilized NOT under any recent load or charge.

Go by the manual and what the manufacturer and battery manufacturer says NOT BY ME, this represents only a bit of theory.  If you have an actual battery monitor and are able to sync the genset to its parameters that sounds better to me, but I have no idea what you have or its features.

John T

This is an EC30 that we are using and there is no SOC setting(wish there was) for starting, stopping the generator. All we have is what we have. Other people use the EC30 on Autogen fine. We just want to understand why it turns off and stays off even though the battery is only reading 12.6v when it turns off. None of this is making any sense so we feel it must be some setting. We get no error codes. Does run great on manual.

We have contacted Cummins and the guy says call when we can test, we call and he doesn't return our call.

41 minutes ago, SWharton said:

All we have is what we have. Other people use the EC30 on Autogen fine. We just want to understand why it turns off and stays off even though the battery is only reading 12.6v when it turns off

If all you have is a turn on set point and if ??? that's adjustable, Id try it at 12.4 if even possible ?? n see what happens. Typically when under a charge if all is working after a time battery voltage would rise to say 13.2 up to 14. 4 or more subject to chargers algorithm. While 12.6 volts is indicative of a full charged battery THATS AFTER A PERIOD OF REST AND STABILIZATION. Immediately after a charger is removed it takes a little time before it drops down to 12.6, but that's still subject to load. 

I just don't know what else to tell you, hopefully an experienced owner of the same unit and/or the manual or tech support can help. Darn if I know lol Perhaps it has something to do with WHERE you're monitoring battery voltage and any wires, their gauge and distance from battery to the controller ??? 

John T

Did you originally have wet cells and then switch to AGM batteries?  How many batteries do you have and are they 12v or 6v?  I guess what I'm wondering is if a charger/inverter is not responding correctly or reading correctly.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Not familiar with the EC30 (Had to google it to see that it's a Cummins/Onan product:)!). But if I understand, your generator is starting, and then consistently stopping after 30 Minutes(?).

If this is the case, then the "Time @ Stop V" is probably set to 30 minutes(?). 

I'd double check the settings one more time, and make sure the Start @ V and Stop @ V values are appropriate for your specific set of AGM's. 

If you see a setting of 30 minutes at the "Time @ Stop V", change that to a different time and see if the Generator the stops at that time frame. (This would show that it is related to these combinations of values.). 

And as mentioned, these Voltage Start and Stop values, are at their best when the battery bank is fully rested. A battery under usage, and or charge - could easily fool these values. 

You might also experiment with the setting of the Voltage Stop V level higher, but never higher then the specific Battery Manufactures recommended Bulk Voltage value. 

You also might want to recheck the wiring of your new batteries, to be sure that the EC30 is properly connected to the full House Bank. (Recall one gent who had problems with his coaches auto generator behaving funny, and found it was somehow reading the Chassis, not the House:)!). 

At least by experimenting, when Cummins Tech Support does get back with you, you'll have more info to share:)!

Best of luck to you. And please come back and update what you find out, as it could help others down the road:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Thanks Smitty, we will be boondocking tomorrow and we will play around with the settings. It is stopping after 10 minutes, even though we have it set for 30. I don't think Cummins is ever going to get back to us. Has been weeks. Problem with shooting this problem is we need to be boondocking. Since we have solar that keeps us going all day if we start off with a good charge.

Thanks for the 10 vs 30 minute, must have misread... 

And Catch 22 for sure. Boon docking is the best time to test, but you also usually want a good charge to go into the evening with:)!

Wonder if you tried a test with the Solar Controller off if that might show something too. Very possible the positive voltage going into the battery is enough to make the EC30 think it's reached Stop @ Voltage settings.... 

Someone may hav already suggested this. But in the AM get some readings at batteries with a Multimeter. When the sun is up a bit more and hitting the panels well, take another reading at the battery. If you trick the EC30 into starting, (Maybe set the Start @ V up closer to higher charged.) take another reading at the batteries once the charger has kicked in. 

And remember after each mental exercise, lubricate the mind well with a good Scotch! (May not help you find the magical settings that need to be tweaked, or possibly a problem - but you'll feel better anyways:)!)

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

You guys have been fighting with this forever. It may be time to escalate to Cummins head office. The problems you've had are way more than I've ever had with this unit. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

It's been an ongoing saga from batteries, not enough solar, then one solar controller stopped functioning and fighting the EC30. I don't know why they can't make it simpler.

We had 7-8 months off so we are back to basics. We did find a good generator service person but we didn't realize we had a problem since we were plugged in, generators weren't permitted in the CG we were at so we couldn't test. We thought all was well after our last go around. If the Cummins guy would just use email life would be much simpler, he always calls and we are never ready to do testing when he calls. I have given up on Cummins. 

To add to the confusion we can't turn the solar off, need to do more research on that. We now have plenty of solar for our use, even with a residential refrig, just need the generator first thing in the morning and in the evening for cooking and topping off.

We want auto on so if we leave the MH and there is a power failure the AC will come in since we have cats. Luckily this year we are heading north and that should not be an issue.

At this point we will keep fooling around, there must be some setting we have that is in conflict with another is our thought. When we get back to winter quarters we will have our generator guy out and work on it with him. 

We have tried contacting other Cummins dealers but they tell us to call Elkhart, one big circle.

For now, we will either stumble across something and/or stick to manual.

If you want to use email, use the contact form at the bottom of this page. Their 1-800 number is also available there. This is all national contact, not local. I guarantee they won't be impressed with the amount of time this has been dragging on for you. I've installed several of these generator controls, and your settings look within expected guidelines.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I am not familiar with the Magnum equipment but a quick review of the ME-RC manual shows an additional unit (ME-BMK battery monitor) is required to measure SOC.  Page seven - https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagArchive/64-0003-Rev-D-ME-RC.pdf

If the Magnum is anything like my Bogart Engineering Pentametric system there is a parameter that can be set to determine when 100% SOC is achieved. If I remember correctly it is set for the point when the voltage reaches 14.4 volts and charge current drops to 9 amps - don't quote me on those numbers but they are close.  Does the Magnum SOC have anything similar?

As noted above, if your applying solar charge to the batteries at the same time your running the generator there could be some false reading.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Archived