Height & Weight Measurements

Wizards&OZ

Aside from going to an Escapees Rally and participating the their SmartWeight program... how would you recommend measuring the exact height of your Class A motorhome (for low clearance purposes) and obtaining the individual PSI for each tire based on the weight of your MH? Is this something that could be done locally? 

Most CAT scales have curbing to prevent weighing with just one side of wheels on the scales.  That is to certify they are recording the entire weight because there are legal ramifications if the the truck is stopped and weighed and it doesn't match the CAT scale receipt.

There are scales at many moving companies that be available to use and they usually do not have curbing so you can weight one wheel, then another by pulling over.  But many of these scales are also not flush with the ground, then have a ramp edge.  That distorts the weights taken as the vehicle should be level.  There are multiple teams of weighing from RVSEF and other weighing companies that are around the country not just at an Escapees Rally.  A list can be found at RV Weighing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

When you are "loaded for the road" simply take it to your nearest Pilot, Flying J, or Loves.  Pay the $10 to $12 and run it across their scales.  You will get a print out of your axle weights, not a 4 corner weight.  But you can still use a tire chart and figure out what psi you should be running.

When measuring my height I use a 10' stepladder and a 6' level.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

There are multiple teams of weighing from RVSEF and other weighing companies that are around the country not just at an Escapees Rally.  A list can be found at RV Weighing.

One correction to the list at this link is that the Paynes are no longer weighing RVs, according to their website. I very much agree that you need more than axle weights. Weight distribution from side to side is important to handling and many RV manufacturers do a poor job of design in that area but you can improve it a great deal when you load your items by locating heavy items to even out this issue. I used a scale at a grain elevator when we first went on the road and you do need to be careful about the RV being off-level due to that impact on your weights. Individual tire weights are important because you need to determine inflation pressures based on the heaviest tire load on each axle and inflate all tires on an axle to the same pressure, based on the tire with the highest load.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think RV Weighing is for sale, there is an add in the FMCA magazine.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We once used a scale at a gravel yard but we weren't looking for four corner at that time, just total weight to determine CCC of a rig we thought we might buy.

SKP's Rainbow's End park has four corner weighing as does one of the Ranch parks. I think North Ranch but maybe the Original Ranch.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

For tire pressure, draw two lines straight across the tread with chalk.  Drive in a STRAIGHT line far enough to roll the chalk on the ground a few times.  Then see if it's evenly worn off.  If it's worn more in the center, the pressure is too high.  If it's worn more on the sides, it's too low.  If the tread is properly evenly spread, it will wear off evenly.

https://www.intercotire.com/using_chalk_method_determining_psi

Archived