New to the forum

oscar martinez

Hi everyone!  We are Rose and Oscar - just wanted to introduce ourselves as we are just starting our full time journey.  We are from Colorado and our first trip is to Eugene, Oregon. 

We were wondering if anyone has any info on the road between Ontario, Oregon and Eugene, Oregon on highway 20.  We are in a 45 foot motorhome towing a vehicle and are wondering if this is doable. 

I have only ever been over some parts of that route and that was some time ago, so I'll not make comment on the route but I did want to welcome you to the Escapee forums! We did travel from Nampa, ID to Bend and then over to Albany and I-5 but that has been at least 10 years so things may be quite different today.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I know nothing about that road but, like Kirk, I say welcome to the forum. Someone here probably has experience on that road and will be along soon to share it, I hope.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

From Ontario you can go two ways... Hwy 20 o 26.  We prefer Hwy 26 to Redmond, Sisters, McKenzie Bridge to Eugene.  It's a lot more scenic; the John Day area is interesting to explore and the state park is a nice one for big rigs.  From Sisters you don't want to take 242 to McKenzie Bridge. You want 20/126.  Both highways will have 5-6% downhills but are very doable.  They are popular RV routes.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Both US-20 and US-26 are good roads and won't be a problem for your rig...we've driven both numerous times in various RVs.

One caution:  If you do travel via US-20, once past Sisters, DO NOT, under any circumstances, take what may *appear* to be a "shortcut," OR-242 (McKenzie Pass Scenic Highway).  Nice in an automobile; not so much in a large RV!  It is closed in winter and vehicles over 50' are prohibited.  It's extremely narrow and winding, especially on the west side of the pass.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On 10/26/2018 at 8:38 AM, LindaH said:

Both US-20 and US-26 are good roads and won't be a problem for your rig...we've driven both numerous times in various RVs.

One caution:  If you do travel via US-20, once past Sisters, DO NOT, under any circumstances, take what may *appear* to be a "shortcut," OR-242 (McKenzie Pass Scenic Highway).  Nice in an automobile; not so much in a large RV!  It is closed in winter and vehicles over 50' are prohibited.  It's extremely narrow and winding, especially on the west side of the pass.

scribble scribble OR-242 .... duly added to the motorcycle road list. Especially if lard ass RV’sz are “discouraged”. Thanks 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived