Boondocking Web Sites? - paid access

offroad

Boondockers Welcome  We are charter members and have used it as both hosts and guests. You can search for sites and get a general idea about location but, have to be a member and request a stay to see exact location. You don't have to have a host location to use the service but, you can earn free periods for being a guest somewhere.  Each listing shows things like size of rig, electricity, pets welcome, etc.

Edited by somewhereinusa

My bus build http:/somewhereinusa.x10.mx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, 4x4Camper said:

Here's a free Boondocking website: Boondocking

Looks to be very difficult to use. Search seems to be by lat/long not something most of us are ready to use when looking for a campsite in eastern WY for example. You can get it to show all the sites in it's database but they seem to completely disorganized. Probably showing by date of entry. Whoever running this needs to learn some coding.

Anyway what's wrong with the SKP database or Campedium to name two. Lots of folks like Allstays which is decades ahead of this site which seems to follow 1980 coding standards.

44 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Looks to be very difficult to use. Search seems to be by lat/long not something most of us are ready to use when looking for a campsite in eastern WY for example. You can get it to show all the sites in it's database but they seem to completely disorganized. Probably showing by date of entry. Whoever running this needs to learn some coding.

Anyway what's wrong with the SKP database or Campedium to name two. Lots of folks like Allstays which is decades ahead of this site which seems to follow 1980 coding standards.

Good points.  That's partly why I wrote a free iPhone app called BoonDocking that shows the same locations and is much easier to use.  But for websites, have you looked at iOverlander or Ultimate Campgrounds?

For the most part I find that Days End and Campedium fill 90% of my site searches and when in doubt I look for the online MVUM of the NF and BLM land:

" Camping on public lands away from developed recreation facilities is referred to as dispersed camping. Most of the remainder of public lands are open to dispersed camping, as long as it does not conflict with other authorized uses or in areas posted "closed to camping," or in some way adversely affects wildlife species or natural resources. "

BLM

and so no MVUM is needed. You can camp anywhere on BLM land unless there are signs saying otherwise.

I'm toying with the idea of getting ALStays since they seem to have an excellent interface and maybe the best list of dump stations available. At least one site posted a check of different apps showing dump stations and Alstays came out ahead of the others. But that was a limited test of just one area (Moab)