Asking for suggestions on what to do with three weeks whilst in the midwest.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I am attending an ADV-Rider, motorcycle rally in Ceder vale, Kansas the 3rd weekend of September, the HDT rally in Hutchinson Kansas doesn't start until the 3rd week of October this year so I'll be in the area for a long time and don't have a clue about where to go or how to spend the time.   Well actually I will be spending a week of that time with a friend who lives in Russelveille Arkansas but that still leaves me with at least two weeks and nothing to do.  If I were out west there are many places I would go but in the midwest I have no idea, I'll have my Ural sidecar motorcycle with me and the new CAN AM UTV but I don't know if there is any place to play with such toys in the middle of the country.  So if anyone has any suggestions please post them to this thread, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Well, since you're only about 20 miles from Ozark Nat'l Forest, somebody down there oughta know sumpthin. Fayetteville is about 100 miles north and the HD dealer up there sponsors runs, knows the area, and if you get lost, there's always hog meat on the smoker somewhere close. The run up Mt Magazine is short but fun on the hairpins. Quachita Nat'l Forest is about 15-20 miles south. Don't remember names or exactly  where they are, but there is excellent riding in that area.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

4 minutes ago, adept99 said:

Well, since you're only about 20 miles from Ozark Nat'l Forest, somebody down there oughta know sumpthin. Fayetteville is about 100 miles north and the HD dealer up there sponsors runs, knows the area, and if you get lost, there's always hog meat on the smoker somewhere close. The run up Mt Magazine is short but fun on the hairpins. Quachita Nat'l Forest is about 15-20 miles south. Don't remember names or exactly  where they are, but there is excellent riding in that area.

Howdy Paul,

I should have mentioned that I have the week in Russelville covered with things to do I know that area pretty well there are excellent motorcycle roads in the area, but I'll only be there for a week that still leaves two weeks that I need to find something to do.  Thanks for your post.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If you don't know about them already, the Salt Mine and Space Museum are in Hutchinson. Kinsley is billed as Midway USA and has the Edwards County and Sod House Museum. Here is a link to some Kansas Scenic Byways. In the Great Bend area is Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area, Quivira National Wildlife Refuge, Kansas Oil Museum, Fort Larned, and the Wolf Hotel and Underground City. In the Northwestern part of the state are Monument Rocks and Castle Rock

I like to hit Branson for a few shows and stay at the Escapee RV Park ( If they aren't to busy you should be able park) across the river.

Also if your into to boots visit Boot Daddy south of Springfield MO and in Springfield the daddy of the Brass Pro Shops. Something to see if you haven't been there.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

32 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

If you don't know about them already, the Salt Mine and Space Museum are in Hutchinson. Kinsley is billed as Midway USA and has the Edwards County and Sod House Museum. Here is a link to some Kansas Scenic Byways. In the Great Bend area is Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area, Quivira National Wildlife Refuge, Kansas Oil Museum, Fort Larned, and the Wolf Hotel and Underground City. In the Northwestern part of the state are Monument Rocks and Castle Rock

Howdy tt,

Thanks for your post, lots of stuff to check out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

12 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

I like to hit Branson for a few shows and stay at the Escapee RV Park ( If they aren't to busy you should be able park) across the river.

Also if your into to boots visit Boot Daddy south of Springfield MO and in Springfield the daddy of the Brass Pro Shops. Something to see if you haven't been there.

Clay

Howdy Clay,

Just spent a week in Branson about a month ago with my wife during our summer trip, had a good time.  Thanks for the other suggestions.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just forget about taking a Duck tour on ANY body of water.     Hot Springs is a cool place to spend a couple days.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Just forget about taking a Duck tour on ANY body of water.     Hot Springs is a cool place to spend a couple days.    

Steve

Howdy Steve,

We were in Branson, and drove over the bridge on the resievor where the Duck sunk about three hours before it happened.  That storm came out of nowhere, it was a calm, hot muggy day and within 15 minuets the wind came up and was bending full grown trees darn near to the ground.  I have been to the Hot Springs area but have never spent any time there.  Thanks for your post.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Byrd's Off-road Trail, Byrd's has large sights, that will accommodate the HDT and fiver. Ask about the nearby gas station/restaurant that has been in business continuously for over 100 years,  Try the burgers, they are amazing. This would be a phenomenal base camp for forest riding the motorcycle, and getting some great trail riding with the UTV. bring plenty of supplies as it is very remote. They do have a restaurant on site, last we were there it was weekend only though. 

Hot Springs ORV, nearby is the Cloud Nine Campground, they have pull-through sites that can accommodate the rig. This is where the wife and I were first introduced to the HDT lifestyle. Thanks Alie and Jim:)

Hot Springs has a great little craft brewery, The Superior Bathhouse Brewery, try the pretzel's.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

4 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Byrd's Off-road Trail, Byrd's has large sights, that will accommodate the HDT and fiver. Ask about the nearby gas station/restaurant that has been in business continuously for over 100 years,  Try the burgers, they are amazing. This would be a phenomenal base camp for forest riding the motorcycle, and getting some great trail riding with the UTV. bring plenty of supplies as it is very remote. They do have a restaurant on site, last we were there it was weekend only though. 

Hot Springs ORV, nearby is the Cloud Nine Campground, they have pull-through sites that can accommodate the rig. This is where the wife and I were first introduced to the HDT lifestyle. Thanks Alie and Jim:)

Hot Springs has a great little craft brewery, The Superior Bathhouse Brewery, try the pretzel's.

Howdy Parrformance,

Thanks for your reply, I'll do a google and see what I can find out about "Byrd's Off Road Trail".

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Never gonna live this down am I!!! 🤣   I actually liked the camper on the flatbed

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived