Volvo VNL610 Curtain Rebuild Project

Jim Hicks

Good MorningGuys,

It’s good to be back.  I have spent the last few weekends in the shop playing with the Rig, and we are doing some upgrades.  Long story short, curtains on the Tractor are something we have never put any energy into but is now on my TO DO list.  The track for the windshield curtain as well as the one for the sleeper are intact and in good shape.  They also have numerous tabs hanging on them from days gone by.

I am not sure how many tabs are typical or if we are even close to having enough.  Having searched threads here with “Curtain” in them I see a lot of dialog on different tab options and sources.  I was unable to find anything on a complete curtain overhaul. (Is my laziness showing already?)  What recommendations do you guys have on a “Cradle to Grave” project to replace these.  I realize OEM has all of the parts, but am hoping there are some more practical cost effective alternatives.  (BTW, I don’t sew). ARGO.....  I am particularly interested in your thoughts.  Have you done this one, do you often see these in the Donut boneyard you frequent?  Are you open to another mail order project with me?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Jim, good to hear from you. I was afraid you had become an oil tycoon, never to return to the land of HDT's. give Robin a hug for me. I'm sorry i can't furnish any info on your curtains but i just wanted to say hello.    Charlie Lord

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

The clips that hold the track to the headliner/roof are a Volvo item.  Or at least on mine they were.  The slider hooks that go into the track that actually hold the curtains can also be found at Volvo. Class 8 Truck parts might have them.  https://class8truckparts.com/volvo-truck-parts/interior/curtains.html

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Undoubtedly Volvo does NOT make those, but outsources them and sells them on their P/Ns.  So, with some digging they should be able to be found.

Kinda like most trailers.  Other than the skin and stickers, on most models the parts etc are available elsewhere, so no need to fret when the manufacturer goes out of business.

Marcel

Thank you all.  Charlie, its good to hear from you brother.  No Tycoon here, just a redneck earning a paycheck!  Plans include more vacations on the road, enjoying the RV.

Jim

fbcover2.jpg

Fulltiming, Class of 2013

2001 Volvo VNL 610 with Smart Hauler Bed (FOOTLOOSE)

2012 Smart 4 Two (FANCY-FREE)

2004 Newmar Mountain Aire with Motorcycle Lift (LEADFOOT)

2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra (LIGHTFOOT)

"Submarines Forever"

Hey Jim

I replaced a bunch of the rollers and attach. Hardware ages ago. Got at Volvo. 

Was missing a curtain picked up here on forum. 

Someone might chime in. 

Try Ron Sibernut in Baltimore. He has a local toy store  wrecker. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

JIM!! Hi ya stranger!! When I went looking for clips alone Volvo was no help. Said they don't sell them. They are more than happy to see you a whole new curtain though. Even the place I live can not find that size...gonna have to be a truck place I assume, not an RV place. 

EDIT: Wow, the link that the other Jim posted to class8parts seems to have the ones I need.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Jim - our "local" HDT graveyard, Eubanks Truck Parts, puts near zero value on items like sleeper cushions, curtains and items like the clips.  If you are roaming the yard and pick them yourself you can often find these parts, but the cabs do not stay there long once they are stripped of hood, doors, engines, etc.  I would suggest you look for a similar recycler if one is in your area.  At some point in the not too distant future, I will probably be visiting Eubanks just to see what is new in the way of Volvo stuff on the yard.  If I find anything like you are looking for I can give you a holler.  Maybe drop your cell number to me in a PM if this of interest to you.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Archived