SEMI TOOK OFF OUR WING MIRROR I15 LV

Coming through the work zone down to two lanes (N of Russell exit on I15 LV), a semi took off our passenger side RV Mirror (Fleetwood Southwind 2003) yesterday evening at 7.40pm, coming well into our left lane of the two reduced to.  He refused to stop, even after constantly honking and light flashing, pulling along side as safely as we could when opportunity arose.   He even got off the I 15 zig zagging around, pulled along side him twice (including at red lights) and as passenger showed him the wing mirror and told him he'd knocked it off and caused damage to side of our rig = he just wouldn't stop.   He got back on the I15 at Craigs Road in LV, and kept heading north.   Called the "How's my driving number on back of truck, who said "call the police", called the police and finally after 50 miles he pulled in at Loves exit 64 half way plus to Mesquite, where he denied everything, a second person appeared out of his truck that wasn't there before, and a very young police officer eventually arrived saying he came 60 miles from Mesquite southwards = why oh why wasn't a LV highway patrol vehicle sent out closer at the front end, so we didn't have to follow him for so many miles - this is beyond our understanding!

Police officer says, based on height, and marks on his vehicle at same height as our mirror would have been etc, for sure he doesn't have a shadow of a doubt that it happened, and does believe our version of events, was amazed what great condition the RV is in for 15 years of age (we do look after our stuff immaculately) but it's a he said, she said situation and as he didn't witness it wouldn't cite the driver.   We are also convinced that the drivers changed and we asked about checking logs on driving hours etc, but ........    This detained us for about 4 hours in total and we wished we hadn't have bothered.   Traffic report won't apparently be available for 2 weeks, as it has to be submitted to officer's boss, then to somewhere else and then somewhere else.

Anyway's totally disillusioned how this was responded to as you can imagine but ................   Now to getting our mirror replaced when we get back to Calgary after Monday evening (service In Great Falls Montana booked for Monday morning, to check on the new engine they installed for us 5000 miles ago before we head back to home base).

Can you kindly share, how you would go about sourcing a new replacement wing mirror as small bottom mirror totally smashed as are electrics for indicators etc.    (temporarily, we did a cold weld on metal ourselves last night, and have managed to put the main part back on for seeing to carry on our trip for now).

We are not very hands on but able to listen/read easy directions, so maybe be able to install the unit ourselves.   For those in the know where would you source the replacement part.   As for body work we'll try and touch up as best we can and if looks bad we'll have to put into a local body shop I guess.

Thanks for sharing where you'd source, or how you'd go about such a repair.    Also our jacks pump has failed early on this trip and we need to source a new one of those and install ourselves we hope, and last but not least, our hub cap has fallen off, and we have been to 50-60 different truck places, fastener places and so on to source a few cent nut to be able to put back on (we'd buy extras after all the hours we've spent trying to source.   No one anywhere has the right size nut or offered where they can get it from for us.   Any recommendations for such a specialized situation to be able to secure the trim hub cap back on would be much appreciated or best place to source.

Have a wonderful long weekend Canada and upcoming Happy 4th July to our cousins south of the border.

Many thanks as always,   FTW.

Though I don't know if this would help in this instance we have added dash cams to our MH and toad. Just so we don't get into a he said/she said type problem.

Regarding the mirror, I would look into a salvage yard. There are plenty around the country.

Wow! That is very  scary. If I'd been a passenger in your motorhome I would probably have been all the way sideways out of my seat. I'm glad no person was injured. I'd like to see that driver's log, too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think that you should contact the company that owns the truck as well as posting the company name when you share this story. If it is a major company, they might care enough to help you even when the police can't. You may need to get a copy of that police report when it becomes available just to document things. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Is it ever a good idea to chase a truck? Pull along side at how many miles per hour? Did you have the number before all this? Best would be to stop as soon as safe, call the police to make a report, so the trucking company could contact their insurance company. If I was the truck driver I would be frightened by some RVer chasing me down the highway, thinking they could be armed.

Another reason to invest in a QUALITY dash cam.

And fyi, most officers do not have the knowledge or authority to examine the drivers logs.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

most officers do not have the knowledge or authority to examine the drivers logs.

True. But, the driver's superiors do. My guess is it was a student driver not yet comfortable with how his/her truck fits in a narrow lane. We all know how those Jersey barriers can make us nervous. And if one was misaligned I can imagine a new driver swerving to miss it. I'm quite certain hitting the mirror was not intentional but the method of driving away also feels to me like a newbie mistake. I have been known to be wrong once or twice, though. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Glad some folks finally mentioned dash cams as a must today when ragers, texters, druggies, and alkies, are being overshadowed by the opioid abusers on the roads and highways of America.

This incident is exactly why having video proof for a one time $50-$100 investment is good additional insurance today.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

22 hours ago, Sehc said:

Is it ever a good idea to chase a truck? Pull along side at how many miles per hour? Did you have the number before all this? Best would be to stop as soon as safe, call the police to make a report, so the trucking company could contact their insurance company. If I was the truck driver I would be frightened by some RVer chasing me down the highway, thinking they could be armed.

I assume all of this took place in Canada?  If so I can't speak to checking the driver's log book.  Wasn't clear if the officer was certified or maybe just a local officer.

I have to agree with Sehc, probably never a good idea to chase any of these guys down.  Maybe if you have a passenger and can safely get a photo of the truck and driver but as far as trying to get them to stop, probably dangerous in today's world.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

This entire thing reminds me of an incident back in 2000 just after we went on the road. We had some bad advice and took US101 through San Fransisco and while on the stretch that is on city streets I was stopped in traffic when a box truck was passing on my right. The truck's box body pushed my passenger side mirror over at an angle but remained against the metal side of the truck. I sat watching the driver as he eased slowly ahead, watching my mirror in his driver side mirror as he drug mine the entire length of the truck body. My mirror had gouges in the outside edge from that which were there when I sold the RV in 2012. I did record the name of the truck company and the license. When I called them the person I spoke to basically told me that they didn't care as long as the truck was not damaged. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I assume all of this took place in Canada? 

The OP mentioned I-15 and Las Vegas too many times to count, so I believe your assumption of Canada is probably incorrect. 

2014 smart Fortwo

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

True. But, the driver's superiors do. My guess is it was a student driver not yet comfortable with how his/her truck fits in a narrow lane. We all know how those Jersey barriers can make us nervous. And if one was misaligned I can imagine a new driver swerving to miss it. I'm quite certain hitting the mirror was not intentional but the method of driving away also feels to me like a newbie mistake. I have been known to be wrong once or twice, though. :)

Linda

Linda, I see this sort of thing daily. Drivers are not the "Professionals" they used to be. ...and good luck getting any satisfaction with having the carrier giving you any information. Why would they? After all, would you admit possible liability to someone over the telephone that could open you up to a civil suit?
As for the driving away, the OP didn't say what part of the truck hit them....if could very well have been the trailer and in that case the driver probably had no idea that contact even happened. It is also not that uncommon to have people blame trucks for damage that the truck never actually caused. As a driver, I would deny it too until someone PROVED to me that it happened. You can tell the cop it happened but there is a big difference between "knowing" it happened and "proving" it happened. That is why I mentioned a dash cam. It can avoid the "he said/she said" that the OP mentioned.

Unfortunately "doing the right thing" is a thing of the past. Don't expect anyone you don't know to behave in an honorable manner anymore. 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks a mill to those of you for your support, and to see so many old names from the past over the years that have always offered sage advise and commentary was good to see still :) :) :)  

The driver was well aware with me holding the Mirror in my hands up to the passenger side as we pulled alongside him quite quickly after the incident as traffic slowed in the construction zone, so no doubt whatsoever, but like was mentioned before, honourable folks are few and sadly far between these days.  Even the young police officer said he'd have followed like us, and we didn't break any speed limits, as police were on phone with us the whole time asking which mile markers and exits we were passing and location of the said Semi.   Anyways, it was what it was and today it is what it is, so thanks for the heads up on links from some of you for sourcing bits.   That's so very much appreciated as always.

After this trip got quite the list of itty bitty maintenance and repairs and now some bigger items to sort out when we get home the day after tomorrow.    

Tonight we are now at Junction 277 I15 in Montana Great Falls awaiting for our engine service tomorrow from folks that installed back in April, and will discuss any options with him in the morning.   Incidents and deflated pocket book aside, we had a fabulous trip for the past 2+ months albeit started a bit rocky with needing to be towed and a third engine back in early April at the start, jack pump failing and now the semi incident.   However, as I always say things could be a lot worse and no one's hurt is what always matters in life :)    Weather in Vegas was of course waaaaay too hot (hopefully cousin from Ireland that flew in to meet us for 3 weeks, will listen next time on time of year for areas LOL).   Coming through Montana today was of course as beautiful as ever at this time of year with the Missouri River views we love for some time keeping us company.

Thanks again to most of you for your support, and be careful out there.   For sure this shake up on I15 Las Vegas area has certainly caused us to think ten fold about ways to avoid such tight construction zones in such very busy areas in the future.   Mind you saying that back in the late 90's our Ford F350 driver mirror got took off, when towing our fifth wheel in those days, had a semi cut us up on regular I15 roads in Montana, with hubby seeing it about to happen moving further and further into the hard shoulder and soft sides as far as possible.   We were so very lucky he didn't do a lot more damage back then as well.   He also took off without realizing albeit honking horn by us and flashing lights repetitively fast.   Back then we never followed him due to speed he was driving at though.  Ho hum, a little deja vu some almost 20 years later!

Do very much appreciate all links and guidance regarding best sourcing for that specific nut size and thread;  the passenger wing mirror; and the pump for the jacks.

Apologies took me two days to get back, we were travelling Northwards and had limited internet access, but can now use up the remaining MIFI before we cross the border tomorrow back into Canada.  

Archived